Emanations in Buddhism

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Emanations in Buddhism

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 am

I find the concept of Emanation in Buddhism as interesting.Mahakala is an emanation of Avalokiteshvara,in turn Avalokiteshvara is an emanation of Amitabha Buddha(I think.).But how exactly does emanations work?Are Buddhas and Bodhisattva the only beings capable of doing this?
Last edited by Sherab Dorje on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed statement in contravention of clause 4 (Discussion of Controversial Practices and Traditions) of the Terms of Service
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: Emanations in Buddhism

Postby tomamundsen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 am

Red Faced Buddha wrote:But how exactly does emanations work?

From my understanding, this isn't ever really explained. But I would love to be shown otherwise.
tomamundsen

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 am

tomamundsen wrote:
Red Faced Buddha wrote:But how exactly does emanations work?

From my understanding, this isn't ever really explained. But I would love to be shown otherwise.

Likewise.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Postby lobster » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 am

I can really only talk from my limited experience and understanding. Please bear that in mind.
An emanation is an aspect, quality or principle of an Ideal Archetype. These are filtered, presented or manifested through unique interpretations for the human mind. So in Sufism, Allah has 99 emanations, in Kabbalah the Godhead emanates through ten principle sephira and so on . . .
In Buddhist Tantra, aspects of the Buddhas enlightened mind can be presented from a central quality with various aspects. These have elements of mnemonic symbology and associative experiences (initiation). We build a relationship and awareness through focus. When we click our fingers nothing is there. The experience is as real as our devotion and practice allows.
It is a bit like the human personality. We as people, include bits of our parents, our friends and our childhood. Yet we are one unique persona that emanates different 'people' for different situations. Think about how different needs cause you to express yourself differently. So too with the emanations . . .

Hope that is helpful. :popcorn:
lobster

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am

lobster wrote:I can really only talk from my limited experience and understanding. Please bear that in mind.
An emanation is an aspect, quality or principle of an Ideal Archetype. These are filtered, presented or manifested through unique interpretations for the human mind. So in Sufism, Allah has 99 emanations, in Kabbalah the Godhead emanates through ten principle sephira and so on . . .
In Buddhist Tantra, aspects of the Buddhas enlightened mind can be presented from a central quality with various aspects. These have elements of mnemonic symbology and associative experiences (initiation). We build a relationship and awareness through focus. When we click our fingers nothing is there. The experience is as real as our devotion and practice allows.
It is a bit like the human personality. We as people, include bits of our parents, our friends and our childhood. Yet we are one unique persona that emanates different 'people' for different situations. Think about how different needs cause you to express yourself differently. So too with the emanations . . .

Hope that is helpful. :popcorn:

Kind of confusing.
Red Faced Buddha

Postby lobster » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:07 am

Sorry about the confusion, what I meant to say is a bright light comes out of the Pureland. As it comes towards us it shimmers or emanates through different Boddhisattva. When it reaches us it is still from the Pureland and as we move towards it, the light becomes stronger. It is still the same original light.

Any less confusing?
lobster

Postby Odsal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Mahakala for example is the way Avalokiteshvara looks when he becomes wrathful. Like how when people's faces change expressions according to their emotions. I haven't read that anywhere, that's just how I see it.
Odsal

Postby kirtu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:51 pm

An emanation is another manifestation of the mindstream of a Buddha or high Bodhisattva (8th bhumi and up) for a specific intention. This is different from a tulku.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 am

Red Faced Buddha wrote:I find the concept of Emanation in Buddhism as interesting.Mahakala is an emanation of Avalokiteshvara,in turn Avalokiteshvara is an emanation of Amitabha Buddha(I think.)and Dorje Shugden is considered by some to be an emanation of Manjushri Bodhisattva.But how exactly does emanations work?Are Buddhas and Bodhisattva the only beings capable of doing this?

Familiarize yourself with our Terms of Service:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3591

4. Discussion of Controversial Practices and Traditions

In light of certain contentious practices and traditions that exist within the scope of Vajrayana Buddhism, the Dharma Wheel website will abide by instructions given to practitioners by the Dalai Lama in regards to discussion of controversial issues, practices, and images. For more information on these instructions, please refer to this synopsis and collection of advice from important lamas, or the Dalai Lama's words on this matter. As explained in this informative talk from the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive, there are many teachers who have advised in this way before the Dalai Lama. Although the Terms of Service provide specific guidelines surrounding the New Kadampa Tradition, Dharma Wheel volunteer staff will have the right amend or delete any post which they judge may lead to disharmony. This applies to related topics and organizations, including monasteries and lamas currently supporting Shugden practice.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Jikan wrote:
Red Faced Buddha wrote:I find the concept of Emanation in Buddhism as interesting.Mahakala is an emanation of Avalokiteshvara,in turn Avalokiteshvara is an emanation of Amitabha Buddha(I think.)and Dorje Shugden is considered by some to be an emanation of Manjushri Bodhisattva.But how exactly does emanations work?Are Buddhas and Bodhisattva the only beings capable of doing this?

Familiarize yourself with our Terms of Service:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3591

4. Discussion of Controversial Practices and Traditions

In light of certain contentious practices and traditions that exist within the scope of Vajrayana Buddhism, the Dharma Wheel website will abide by instructions given to practitioners by the Dalai Lama in regards to discussion of controversial issues, practices, and images. For more information on these instructions, please refer to this synopsis and collection of advice from important lamas, or the Dalai Lama's words on this matter. As explained in this informative talk from the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive, there are many teachers who have advised in this way before the Dalai Lama. Although the Terms of Service provide specific guidelines surrounding the New Kadampa Tradition, Dharma Wheel volunteer staff will have the right amend or delete any post which they judge may lead to disharmony. This applies to related topics and organizations, including monasteries and lamas currently supporting Shugden practice.

I understand,I was just trying to think of a few examples.I've found it helps if you list three or more examples of something you're talking about.Those were the only three examples I could think of.
Red Faced Buddha

Return to Open Dharma