Is Guru Yoga Based on Pantheism?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Is Guru Yoga Based on Pantheism?

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 pm

bhakta=poet wrote:If the metaphor of Indra's Net is in fact borrowed from the Vedas, can someone tell me where in the Vedas this originated?

A net is one of Indra's weapons in the Vedas. The Vedas themselves do not present the Indra's Net metaphor like the Avatamsaka Sutra does. But it is implied, because Indra uses his net to control the cosmos. Indra is very well interwoven in Mahayana and Vajrayana symbolism, i.e,. the Vajra, along with the bow (Saraha) and the hook (rarer but various yidams have this).
deepbluehum

Postby pueraeternus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

deepbluehum wrote:Indra is very well interwoven in Mahayana and Vajrayana symbolism, i.e,. the Vajra, along with the bow (Saraha) and the hook (rarer but various yidams have this).

I wonder if this is the reason why Indra subsequently fell out of favor with later Brahmanists and Hindus - that he was effectively demoted and written off? Perhaps they find him too deeply affiliated with Buddhism.
When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:26 pm

pueraeternus wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:Indra is very well interwoven in Mahayana and Vajrayana symbolism, i.e,. the Vajra, along with the bow (Saraha) and the hook (rarer but various yidams have this).

I wonder if this is the reason why Indra subsequently fell out of favor with later Brahmanists and Hindus - that he was effectively demoted and written off? Perhaps they find him too deeply affiliated with Buddhism.

Actually Brahma too is almost nonexistent in India as an object of worship. Visnu and Shiva and their consorts and avatars have become what is today thought of as "Hindu." There is only one or two temples dedicated to Brahma in all of India. Buddha declared himself "brahma bhuto," become Brahma. I think it also has to do with the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita being related more to Visnu, Krisna, etc., and its ratification of Samkya philosophy which enveloped the Upanishads. So I does seem that Brahma and Indra were left to the Buddhist milieu.
deepbluehum

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:10 am

deepbluehum wrote:
pueraeternus wrote:

Actually Brahma too is almost nonexistent in India as an object of worship. Visnu and Shiva and their consorts and avatars have become what is today thought of as "Hindu." There is only one or two temples dedicated to Brahma in all of India. Buddha declared himself "brahma bhuto," become Brahma. I think it also has to do with the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita being related more to Visnu, Krisna, etc., and its ratification of Samkya philosophy which enveloped the Upanishads. So I does seem that Brahma and Indra were left to the Buddhist milieu.

Yeah,ironically enough,Indra and Brahma have been reduced to next to nothing by modern Hindus and are now worshiped by a religion that had originally reduced their statues to next to nothing.Sometimes I wonder if the universe does not have a sense of irony.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Previous

Return to Open Dharma