Torma

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Torma

Post by Grigoris »

I've never seen the Tenma torma (yellow/red/blue). I take it they represent the Three Jewels?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I really feel like I'm talking to Vajrayana practitioners when we talk about tormas.
JKhedrup wrote:Tsampa is the best but not always available in Western settings.

I would only recommend oatmeal for tormas that you would use for a maximum of two days or so because as it dries out it will crack. If you need to keep the torma around for awhile, you probably need to look for tsampa.
Khedrup--we put a glaze of ghee on the tormas to keep them from cracking... but mold will eventually become an issue in a hot wet climate.

We developed a technique in druptra to prepare for big events that needed hundreds of tormas. First we made torma dough ---quick oats, tor dzey, water, and corn oil in a mixer. Add a lot of salt, maybe 25% of the oat quantity, and mix in the mixer until smooth. The resultant torma will dry slowly over days and weeks from the outside in, and -- based on Christmas tree ornaments made this way by children--last for decades, and never crack. If we want to speed the process up, we put the torma in a turned off oven over night to get a good crust on it before painting. This way you can start preparing for a big ceremony months ahead of time, instead of the Tibetan technique of having a group of super-heroes staying up all night for days before the event.

Down side: Red food coloring turns brown from the salt. We use house paint for them--it's cheap to have gallons of it premixed to the lamas color preferences on hand. It's pretty much like acrylic paint, but far cheaper. These tormas have lasted for over a year on the shrine.... could have gone longer, but the lamas may want to make new ones at some point. We're still brain-storming ideas for less toxic paints for them.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

No, Tenma Chu Nyi--the 12 Tenma sisters? Offered, usually, at or near the end of a Tsok?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

gregkavarnos wrote:I've never seen the Tenma torma (yellow/red/blue). I take it they represent the Three Jewels?
:namaste:
In the Dudjom Tradition we have three tenma tormas too, white black and yellow, and they represent three classes of tenma (Mountain protector goddesses).
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

JKhedrup wrote:Dear Cone,
Are the main figures Lama Marpa, Je Milarepa and Je Gampopa? And last one Karmapa Karma Pakshi?
Marpa, Mila, ChoJe Gampopa, and DuSum Khyenpa.

In larger monasteries, or at Bodhgaya, they'll also do Tilo and Naro....

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Wang-Nga, or Wangpo Metok, the flower of the five senses....

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

JKhedrup wrote:Wow! The Kamtsang/Shangpa deity tormas are beautiful.

This is the deity torma for one of the main Gelug yidams. Often made for self-initiations.
Wow! Who was the gyen artist? Imported monk or local?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

This is a pretty fancy Mentor, or "Medicine torma"-flanked by Dudtsi and Rakta....

JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I will try coating the oatmeal with ghee next time!

If you are asking about the Gelug deity torma, a group of monks at Sera Jey made them for my retreat. I mastered the shape of the tormas but not the gyen- that is difficult.

If you are asking COne I also want to know! Those are very complex and beautiful tormas! They are as nice as the ones I saw at the Kagyu Monlam in Bodh Gaya.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

If you're asking me, the two chuppens were guests from India...Lama Pema Choda (Lama Tenzin) from Palpung Sherab Ling, and Lama Osel Nyingpo (Lama Karzong), from Rumtek--they were our Chuppens and our torma makers for the San Francisco Kagyu Monlam. Lama Tenzin also made some tormas for my shrine--the Tara, Phagmo, Shelze and some others--they put the ones I've made to shame!

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

These are the peaceful and wrathful Shelzes from Kamtsang Tsurphu tradition, with a bunch of Mahakala and protector tormas behind..

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

This is a more elaborate Zabtik Drolma torma.

Here's a somewhat elaborate Mahakala Chagdrupa...

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

conebeckham wrote:If you're asking me, the two chuppens were guests from India...Lama Pema Choda (Lama Tenzin) from Palpung Sherab Ling, and Lama Osel Nyingpo (Lama Karzong), from Rumtek--they were our Chuppens and our torma makers for the San Francisco Kagyu Monlam. Lama Tenzin also made some tormas for my shrine--the Tara, Phagmo, Shelze and some others--they put the ones I've made to shame!
Did he do the tormas for the RInchen Terdzod wangs at Orgyen Dorje Den, too? I wasn't there, but a friend took picks of the tormas for me.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Nope, the tormas at ODD were made, I think, by a Chuppen travelling with Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche, and with help from ODD students. I was there for one day--and there were a LOT of tormas, for sure!
I understand they made the tormas daily, for the next day's empowerments.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I'd love to see those pics of the tormas, Yudron, if you wouldn't mind posting them here!
I love tormas...as you all can probably tell. :smile:

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

conebeckham wrote:Image

This is a pretty fancy Mentor, or "Medicine torma"-flanked by Dudtsi and Rakta....
Cone--we don't do the men tor in the Dudjom Tersar as far as I have ever seen. The men and rakta are on opposite ends of the shrine.

My Lama learned from HH Dudjom Rinpoche and his ritual master and right hand man Kusho Gyurme. Elaborate gyen were not a part of the Dudjom Tradition, strictly speaking, but artists can't control themselves, so elaborations get added in... because they are pretty. Also, centers, like the Chagdud centers, mix traditions. Even during Khyabje Dudjom RInpoche's lifetime things varied, and a Bhutanese style of torma ended up in the tor pe (torma illustrations) in the Dudjom Sungbum.

I hate to put pics of our tormas made by injie artists, because they don't come close to the Asian monk-artists when it comes to bling. Maybe there is something to this celibacy thing! ;)
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Torma depicting Maitreya and I believe Amitabha according to the Gyuto Tantric College tradition of Gelug.
Attachments
5_torma_7_jpg-15028.jpg
5_torma_7_jpg-15028.jpg (87.24 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Here are some of our Injie-made tormas:

(Cone, if I find the CD with the great RInchen Terdzod tormas, I'll post some)

Vajrakilaya Kangtors -- we made these special kang tors --as far as we know -- the first time in the U.S.  I think they are not quite done in these pics.
Vajrakilaya Kangtors -- we made these special kang tors --as far as we know -- the first time in the U.S. I think they are not quite done in these pics.
VK Kangtors.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
This was the 2011 Zorchen for Gutor.  The top ornament was added later.
This was the 2011 Zorchen for Gutor. The top ornament was added later.
Zorchen Gutor 2011.jpg (60.16 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful! :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Big Chime' Sogthig main torma for Dzongsar Khyentse Wangs 2012
Big Chime' Sogthig main torma for Dzongsar Khyentse Wangs 2012
Chime Srogthig med.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
A gotram--the chevron shaped top ornament for tormas--in the process of being made.  It is grueling and beyond my artistic capacity.
A gotram--the chevron shaped top ornament for tormas--in the process of being made. It is grueling and beyond my artistic capacity.
Gotram in Process med.jpg (74.18 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
Larger than usual Throma Protectors for Dzongsar Khyentse Wangs.
Larger than usual Throma Protectors for Dzongsar Khyentse Wangs.
Troma Protectors, medium.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 4711 times

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”