Why is right right and wrong wrong?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
KathyLauren

Re: Why is right right and wrong wrong?

Post by KathyLauren »

Ervin wrote:I am not a Christian. My beliefs are the truth as I see it.

Thanks
My apologies for jumping to a conclusion. Nevertheless, what you are asking about (Source of everything that exists) is a concept in western religions that does not exist in Buddhism.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Last edited by KathyLauren on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oushi

Post by oushi »

KeithBC wrote:
oushi wrote:
KeithBC wrote:Buddhism (and other religions generally) is more than just Christianity with different names. You do yourself a disservice if you do not learn what the differences are.
Although I mostly agree with what you wrote, but I think you do yourself a disservice by judge Christianity in this way.
Please be specific. In what way did I judge Christianity?

Om mani padme hum
Keith
I'm almost certain that you didn't do it on purpose, that is why I wanted to draw your attention to it.
KeithBC wrote:
Ervin wrote:I am not a Christian. My beliefs are the truth as I see it.

Thanks
My apologies for jumping to a conclusion. Nevertheless, what you are asking about (Source of everything that exists) is a concept in western religions that does not exist in Buddhism.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
If I may ask, are you certain that "source of everything that exists" does not exist in Buddhism?
Last edited by oushi on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Say what you think about me here.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

oushi wrote: I'm almost certain that you didn't do it on purpose, that is why I wanted to draw your attention to it.
Do what? I still don't know what judgement you think I made.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

oushi wrote: If I may ask, are you certain that "source of everything that exists" does not exist in Buddhism?
"exist' is a tricky term.
In the buddhist context, "exist" often refers to a reductionist point
to which something can be said to be self-arisen.
In other words,
something exists only if it does so unconditionally.

Thus, an atom doesn't "exist" because an atom is made up of even smaller components which only play together temporarily. Thus, an atom only "exists" or occurs conditionally.

Actually, it is more accurate to say that no thing exists which is an atom which doesn't mean that there is no such things as atoms, rather that atoms are not self-existent. Atoms rely on component parts.

Thus, to say that there is a source of everything that exists, one would have to begin with the premise that things (everything?) has some inherent existence, and this is something that Budhism more or less rejects.

the appearance of everything having an inherent, or self-arising existence is said to have a source, and that source is the mind.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Ervin wrote:The truth as I see it is that the Infinite Good doesn't judge. However I do believe that there is good and evil. What I mean is who is to say that evil is wrong to the infinite Good that you might believe somwhere somehow exists?

Whose the judge in deciding what's what according to your knowledge and or beliefs?

Thanks
It's not a matter of judgement.

It's just that some things it's best we don't do because they can cause harm to ourselves and others.

Or, in the sense of views and such, they can cause the prolonging of suffering, instead of leading to the cessation of suffering.

In Gassho,

Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”