Ten Dharma Quotes from Movies

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
waimengwan

Ten Dharma Quotes from Movies

Post by waimengwan »

I tried to compile 10 dharma quotes from Movies :), if anyone can share a better one please do so :) thanks.

1) I’ll Be Back. – Terminator

2) Fear Leads to anger and Anger leads to the Dark Side. – Star Wars

3) "Love means never having to say you're sorry." – Love Story

4) "After all, tomorrow is another day!" - Gone with the Wind

5) "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." – Dead Poets Society

6) "My precious." – Lord of the Rings

7) "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." – Forrest Gump

8) Do, or do not. There is no "try". - Yoda (from The Empire Strikes Back)

9) "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it." - Rafiki, from The Lion King

10) "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends." - –Dumbledore, Harry Potter
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Ten Dharma Quotes from Movies

Post by Admin_PC »

Slow day at work....

Top 25 Dharma-related quotes from Fight Club:

1. What it feels like sometime trying to learn this stuff. :)
"Lou: [Lou hits Tyler in the face] Do you hear me now?
Tyler Durden: No, I didn't quite catch that, Lou.
[Lou hits Tyler again]
Tyler Durden: Still not getting it.
[Lou hits Tyler a few more times]
Tyler Durden: Ok, I got it. Shit, I lost it.
[Lou continues to beat up Tyler]"

2. On the illusory nature of grasping & impermanence.
"Narrator: I had it all. I had a stereo that was very decent, a wardrobe that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete.
Tyler Durden: Shit man, now it's all gone.
Narrator: It's just, when you buy furniture, you tell yourself, that's it. That's the last sofa I'm gonna need. Whatever else happens, I've got that sofa problem handled.
Tyler Durden: Well you did lose a lot of versatile solutions for modern living.
Tyler Durden: I say frak Martha Stewart. Martha's polishing the brass on the Titanic. It's all going down, man. So frak off with your sofa units and Strinne green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may."

3. On rebirth.
"You wake up at Seatac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI. Pacific, mountain, central. Lose an hour, gain an hour. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. You wake up at Air Harbor International. If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?"

4. On karma.
"Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!"

5. On the cherishing of self.
"Self improvement is masturbation. Now self destruction... "

6. Accepting impermanence.
"First you have to give up, first you have to *know*... not fear... *know*... that someday you're gonna die."

7. On waking up to the illusory nature of grasping.
"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

8. On renunciation.
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. "

9. Non-self. Last part may be emptiness of self.
"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your frak khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

10. Nonduality & emptiness of absolute/inherent existence
"When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep... and you're never really awake."

11. The nature of craving.
"The things you own end up owning you."

12. More on impermanence.
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

13. Something about this makes me think of Enlightenment.
"And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom."

14. Still more on impermanence.
"Hey, even the Mona Lisa's falling apart."

15. What I have to constantly remind myself.
"frak what you know. You need to forget about what you know, that's your problem. Forget about what you think you know about life, about friendship, and especially about you and me."

16. On the illusory nature of life.
"Is Tyler my bad dream? Or am I Tyler's?"

17. On identifying the external as Self
"Narrator: Look, nobody takes this more seriously than me. That condo was my life, okay? I loved every stick of furniture in that place. That was not just a bunch of stuff that got destroyed, it was ME!
[voice-over]
Narrator: I'd like to thank the Academy..."

18. A rather obvious one that's somewhat surface-level.
"Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened."

19. On the illusion of grasping.
"We're consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession."

20. On renunciation & the Dharma
"You had to give it to him: he had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide."

21. More on the mis-identification of self.
"I flipped through catalogs and wondered: What kind of dining set defines me as a person?"

22. Enlightenment:
"...isn't a weekend retreat. It's not a goddamn seminar. Stop trying to control everything and just let go! LET GO!"

23. On cyclic existence of samsara
"Deja vu - all over again."

24. On renunciation:
"By the end of the first month, I didn't miss TV."

25. On emptiness of inherent existence & interdependent origination:
"We are all part of the same compost heap."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

waimengwan wrote: 9) "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it." - Rafiki, from The Lion King
Another good one from the Lion King is when the monkey-guru hits the lion with a large stick.

Lion: Ouch, what was that for?
Monkey: What does it matter? It is in the past.

:D
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

We've all heard about how deep and Buddhist the movie The Matrix is. I didn't believe it either until I was reading Lama Yeshe's Introduction to Tantra today (I highly recommend you read it too), and remembered a line from the Matrix that fit in with Lama Yeshe's teachings on Self-Visualization, Emptiness, and to a lesser extent, Clear Light.

There's a quote from The Matrix that is wonderfully profound. With Self-Visualization, as Lama Yeshe points out, it can feel like a game. After all, when you open your eyes you are still in your 'real' body. But:

"What is real? How do you define real? If what you're talking about is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZiLMGdCE0&t=0m44s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We can get angry or scared from movies and dreams because from the point of view of the brain, it is all 'real'. Your brain can't tell the difference between something imagined and something in the material world. They are both just electric signals.

If you imagine you are the deity, you are.

Pretty cool stuff.
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
lobster

Post by lobster »

Good job Porkchop . . .
Not a source of dharma for me until now . . . :cheers:
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Thanks everyone hehe :)