Synchronicty,sign or apophenia?.. .

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Synchronicty,sign or apophenia?.. .

Postby GarcherLancelot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:09 am

Sometimes i see certain numbers quite often,and just now I saw that number after praying for guidance,could it mean anything?.. .
GarcherLancelot

Re: Synchronicty,sign or apophenia?.. .

Postby lobster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:24 am

It could mean anything.
What do you think it means and how can we provide your Meaning? Surely that comes from you? :meditate:
lobster

Postby plwk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:25 am

The weekend winning sweepstakes or lotto number? :D
plwk

Postby chickenman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:08 pm

happenstance.
"don't follow leaders" - b.dylan
chickenman

Postby Anistar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I see repeating numbers such as 11:11, 1313, when I am going along on my spiritual path. When I am not going along my spiritual path but am distracted, I don't see them.

I use this website, to interpret there meaning. http://sacredscribesangelnumbers.blogspot.fr/

I like the website and I get a good vibration from the information given on each number combo.

I know that my spirit guides know that I will check repeating numbers at this site, so the message is clear.

Even you posting this question can have been known by your spirit guardians that i would reply with this website, so that might have been why they showed you the numbers.

Blessings and loving-kindness to you!

Jay
Anistar

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Anistar wrote:I see repeating numbers such as 11:11, 1313, when I am going along on my spiritual path. When I am not going along my spiritual path but am distracted, I don't see them.
What do you mean you "see" them?
I use this website, to interpret there meaning. http://sacredscribesangelnumbers.blogspot.fr/
Yes, well, I'm sure you'll find lots of answers there. Especially if you consider the qualifications of the blogger:
Psychic Medium, Numerologist, Angel Intuitive and Lightworker
Yup, I'd definitely trust my future to them!
I like the website and I get a good vibration from the information given on each number combo.
Gotta dig those good vibrations!

I know that my spirit guides know that I will check repeating numbers at this site, so the message is clear.
Your spirit guides have internet access?
Even you posting this question can have been known by your spirit guardians that i would reply with this website, so that might have been why they showed you the numbers.
You know Garchers spirit guardians too? You do get around!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby viniketa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:05 am

^^ I'm disappointed by this, gregkavarnos... :?

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Postby deepbluehum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 am

GarcherLancelot wrote:Sometimes i see certain numbers quite often,and just now I saw that number after praying for guidance,could it mean anything?.. .

Don't listen to this rabble lot. If you feel in your heart you have a protector guide trust it. Only you can judge if it leads to a right path or a wrong path. Do try to find a teacher from a lineage with a powerful protector. It makes all the difference.
deepbluehum

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 am

viniketa wrote:^^ I'm disappointed by this, gregkavarnos... :?

I am disappointed by what I was replying to. This is not a New Age site and we are posting in the general Dharma section. If you can point out to me the slightest bit of Buddhadharma in Anistars post then I will retract everything I said and gladly chew on my foot for an extended period of time (a pretty gross punishment given I get around barefoot 90% of the time). Okay, I admit that the tone of the post was, well, overly sarcastic and mocking... :emb: but I stand by the idea behind my post.
There are other occult abilities that are not based on jhāna and for this reason do not count as mahaggata dhamma: such things as divination, giving protective charms, casting malevolent spells, psychic healing, practicing as a medium, etc. The discourses list these and other similar activities as tiracchāna-vijjā, animal knowledge, which — as the name implies — is far removed from superior human states.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch04.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html especially the great section on virtue.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .bodh.html especially the long section on virtue.

So to promote, or to recommend, engaging in these sorts of practices is actually aDharmic.

Obviously I should have kept the sarcasm to a minimum... Sorry!
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Adumbra » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am

I don't know about spirit guides, but your subconscious mind might be trying to tell you something...

I would forget about numerology and ask yourself if these numbers mean to you. Have they popped up in your life in the distant past? In what context?
"The first thing you have to understand is that I don't believe in ANYTHING."
-Arahata Osho
Adumbra

Postby GarcherLancelot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 am

Adumbra wrote:I don't know about spirit guides, but your subconscious mind might be trying to tell you something...

I would forget about numerology and ask yourself if these numbers mean to you. Have they popped up in your life in the distant past? In what context?

Wait are you saying my subconscious mind is trying to tell me something and it has some ability to influence things to occur?.. .Well I think they popped out more often than other numbers.. .for example:I might be seeing 25 more often than 20,21,22,23,24,26,27,28,29.. .
GarcherLancelot

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 am

GarcherLancelot wrote:Wait are you saying my subconscious mind is trying to tell me something and it has some ability to influence things to occur?.. .Well I think they popped out more often than other numbers.. .for example:I might be seeing 25 more often than 20,21,22,23,24,26,27,28,29.. .
It's just an obsession, we all have them now and again. Look into the nature of the thoughts associated with the obsession. See that all phenomena are essentially empty of a distinct and concrete existence and just let it go.

You don't believe me? Then go ask your Dharma teacher and see what they will tell you.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Adumbra » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Wait are you saying my subconscious mind is trying to tell me something and it has some ability to influence things to occur?

It is more likely that your subconscious is causing you to notice their occurence rather than causing them to occur.
"The first thing you have to understand is that I don't believe in ANYTHING."
-Arahata Osho
Adumbra

Postby Anistar » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
viniketa wrote:^^ I'm disappointed by this, gregkavarnos... :?

I am disappointed by what I was replying to. This is not a New Age site and we are posting in the general Dharma section. If you can point out to me the slightest bit of Buddhadharma in Anistars post then I will retract everything I said and gladly chew on my foot for an extended period of time (a pretty gross punishment given I get around barefoot 90% of the time). Okay, I admit that the tone of the post was, well, overly sarcastic and mocking... :emb: but I stand by the idea behind my post.
There are other occult abilities that are not based on jhāna and for this reason do not count as mahaggata dhamma: such things as divination, giving protective charms, casting malevolent spells, psychic healing, practicing as a medium, etc. The discourses list these and other similar activities as tiracchāna-vijjā, animal knowledge, which — as the name implies — is far removed from superior human states.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch04.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html especially the great section on virtue.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .bodh.html especially the long section on virtue.

So to promote, or to recommend, engaging in these sorts of practices is actually aDharmic.

Obviously I should have kept the sarcasm to a minimum... Sorry!

You seem to have forgotten that everything is Dharma, my friend.
Anistar

Postby Anders » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:02 am

gregkavarnos wrote:I am disappointed by what I was replying to. This is not a New Age site and we are posting in the general Dharma section. If you can point out to me the slightest bit of Buddhadharma in Anistars post then I will retract everything I said and gladly chew on my foot for an extended period of time (a pretty gross punishment given I get around barefoot 90% of the time). Okay, I admit that the tone of the post was, well, overly sarcastic and mocking... :emb: but I stand by the idea behind my post. :namaste:

What exactly do you imagine the countless of bodhisattvas and mahasattvas supporting and nurturing sentient beings in this world do, Greg? Sit and twiddle their thumbs? Spread rays of light we don't see and leave it at that? "Spirit guides" are a lot more present than you might imagine. And thankfully, they don't limit their activities to those who can flash the Dharma club card, speak the Sanskrit passphrase and show the secret mudra.

And sure they can access the internet. Why wouldn't they?

Seriously, lots new age stuff is repeated and then vastly exaggerated in the Mahayana sutras a 1000 times over. They just use a different vocabulary which Buddhists seem to take as their insurance against anything 'new age'.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Anders wrote:What exactly do you imagine the countless of bodhisattvas and mahasattvas supporting and nurturing sentient beings in this world do, Greg? Sit and twiddle their thumbs? Spread rays of light we don't see and leave it at that? "Spirit guides" are a lot more present than you might imagine. And thankfully, they don't limit their activities to those who can flash the Dharma club card, speak the Sanskrit passphrase and show the secret mudra.
Greetings my dear Anders (and it is truly good to see you back and posting again)! Let me ask you something: when you require spiritual guidance do you go to Buddhist teachers or spirit channelers/tarot readers/snake oil salesmen?

Why?

Secondly, what in tarnations is a spirit guide? Is it a sentient being? Is it just a projection of our mind? If it is a being, how do we know if a spirit guide is an enlightened being or a demon out to trap us?
Somehow I don't think that a non-corporeal being would have the capacity or need to utilise the internet.
Seriously, lots new age stuff is repeated and then vastly exaggerated in the Mahayana sutras a 1000 times over. They just use a different vocabulary which Buddhists seem to take as their insurance against anything 'new age'.
Well... First of all (and this is personal opinion) I cannot say that I am a great fan of the flowery mush that passes as scripture in the Mahayana Canon. But, even then, my opinion is based in a shallow understanding of the symbolism contained in much of the Mahayana Canon. I am sure that if I was more educated in the meanings behind the imagery that it would change my opinion drastically. But where can one learn the true meaning behind the symbolism? From a trained Dharma teacher of course! Where else?

And this brings me to my second point: the insurance against the new age fad is not the vocabulary, as such, but the unbroken lineage of teachers that can decipher and explain the vocabulary so that one does not take the whole deal at face value. This does not exist in the new age movement. If somebody without a serious background in, lets say, tantra looks at a yab yum image or a three eyed protector then, of course, the conclusions they will draw from these images is that tantra has to do with sex and that the third eye is actually a physical third eye.

Now considering Yidams as being actually existent, out there, beings running around on hovering (flame resistant, in the case of wrathful deities) lotuses and sending out healing light rays makes you a better person, cool! It is a skillful means that works for some people. But placing ones trust in suspect individuals that are looking to make a quick buck off a spiritual fad, well... Not that these sort of individuals do no exist in the Dharma club, they do. I have come across a few myself. But, thankfully, I have also come across serious, well trained teachers capable of explaining things as they are.

I guess it's like buying a product that is a brand name (which is made in China) or buying a product that is just made in China. The brand name may not be a 100% guarantee that the product will be top notch, but chances are...
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby oushi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Everything is teachers wisdom, but only few can read it. Those numbers already changed the direction of your steps on the path, don't stop just to find out how, and why.
Say what you think about me here.
oushi

Postby Anders » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:33 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Greetings my dear Anders (and it is truly good to see you back and posting again)! Let me ask you something: when you require spiritual guidance do you go to Buddhist teachers or spirit channelers/tarot readers/snake oil salesmen?

Why?

I prefer Buddhist teachers. Mostly because siddhis is no proof of spiritual attainment. OTOH, I admit I prefer my gurus with experience of both emptiness and the siddhis. They can provide the kind of advice about supernatural stuff that I trust is tempered with a proper perspective of its significance on our paths and I have more confidence in them being able to tell maya from actual siddhi as well.

I have had experiences with non Buddhist 'new age counsellors'. I found some of them legitimate, albeit limited in scope and I doublechecked with the real deal (ie, teacher with experience of both emptiness and siddhis) on what was reliable and what was not.

But for people, Buddhist and non-Buddhist alike, who, for whatever reason, have some kind of access to this realm, opportunities to connect with it and learn from it present themselves in all manners of form and are by no means limited to 'Buddhist' appearances.

Secondly, what in tarnations is a spirit guide? Is it a sentient being? Is it just a projection of our mind? If it is a being, how do we know if a spirit guide is an enlightened being or a demon out to trap us?

The really powerful 'spirit guides', Tara, Avalokiteshvara, Manjushri et al, can simply show your their minds (or parts of it anyway), then you can judge for yourself. Although this also depends on the faculties of the practitioner. Demons can't fake boundless compassion and wisdom. I believe this is also covered in the stuff Vajrayanists call 'Yidam practise' and such.

As for lesser ones, if your guru has siddhis, (s)he can check it for you.

Somehow I don't think that a non-corporeal being would have the capacity or need to utilise the internet.

So what, beings who can read minds, ignore space, perform 'miracles' of various kinds, are on their way towards omniscience, some of them already there, get stopped by the conversion of information into binary code? Meh. Stuff, and the information all stuff vibrate and exchange with all other stuff at all times (this is me using stuff vocabulary for what the Avatamsaka is saying), is a lot more organic than that.

Now considering Yidams as being actually existent, out there, beings running around on hovering (flame resistant, in the case of wrathful deities) lotuses and sending out healing light rays makes you a better person, cool! It is a skillful means that works for some people. But placing ones trust in suspect individuals that are looking to make a quick buck off a spiritual fad, well... Not that these sort of individuals do no exist in the Dharma club, they do. I have come across a few myself. But, thankfully, I have also come across serious, well trained teachers capable of explaining things as they are.

It reads to me like you aren't really approaching this in good faith Greg. It's a bit of a slur to just paint all of them as making a quick buck off a spiritual fad.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Anistar wrote:You seem to have forgotten that everything is Dharma, my friend.
Everything can be Dharma would be a better way to phrase it. One can learn about the truth from every situation, person, phenomenon, but that does not make every situation... the truth or truthful.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Anistar » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:04 pm

I would just like to say.

The reason I suggested the angel site was because my heart told me that was what I should do.

I spoke from my heart to the OP. With no agenda.

I allow my own true enlightened essense (which is what I called spirit guide because its a good a word as any in a world where everything is empty) to approach me in every format possible. I am not aware of my enlightenment, but my enlightenment buddha-nature is aware.

I have 10000000000000000000000000000000 percent faith that Buddha holds my heart and that it can not make a mistake.

So when my heart speaks I listen.

Do not limit for yourself, or for others the power of Buddha to penetrate deep into this illusion.

I have pondered deeply your posts today Greg, and I thankyou truely with the deepest gratitude for the compassion you have taught me today. I truely realise that you are warning against speaking in ignorance.

I have weighted the thought of my ignorance and the danger it could pose, but I know that I have spoken with compassion and from my true heart of compassion so my words are true.

I trust and the seeds of karma that are the result I accept with a humble and greatful heart.

Blessings to everyone
Jay
Anistar

Next

Return to Personal Experience