A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm 

ratna wrote:
Greg wrote:
You don't happen to know the school do you?

Kathmandu University, apparently: http://www.etsu.edu/cas/philosophy/documents/Duckworth-CV.doc

Oh, that probably explains it. I'll try ILL but I wouldn't get my hopes up about this one. Probably contacting the author is the only way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 pm 

Looking for JIABS 33-1,2 2010. It seems to be floating around but I haven't been able to get a hold of it - any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 pm 

Greg wrote:
Looking for JIABS 33-1,2 2010. It seems to be floating around but I haven't been able to get a hold of it - any help appreciated.

http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/ojs/ ... /view/1087

:namaste:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:41 pm 

viniketa wrote:
Greg wrote:

http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/ojs/ ... /view/1087

:namaste:

Thanks, but I'm not able to access it through their website.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 am 

How about this:
Humour in Pali literature and other essays by Walpola Rahula
?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 am 

Greg wrote:
Are there out of print books, obscure journal articles, or non-proquest dissertations you have been trying to get your hands on?

Yes full english translation of the Kalachakra Tantra in english.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm 

Son of Buddha wrote:
Greg wrote:
Are there out of print books, obscure journal articles, or non-proquest dissertations you have been trying to get your hands on?

Does such a thing exist? The Second and Fourth chapters have been translated by Vesna Wallace, and are available (separately) from Columbia. A draft translation of the Third chapter appears in Jensine Andresen's dissertation "Kalacakra: Textual and Ritual Perspectives", and parts of the First chapter appears in John R. Newman's dissertation "The Outer Wheel of Time: Varjayana Buddhist Cosmology in the Kalacakra Tantra".
I don't know of any translations of the Fifth chapter, or of the remainder of the first chapter untranslated by Newman.

Of course, the Vimalaprabha is available as "Ornament of Stainless Light" from Wisdom Pubs.

None of the above are terribly difficult to find-- both dissertations are on ProQuest, and the books are in print.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 am 

Michael_Dorfman wrote:
Son of Buddha wrote:
Greg wrote:

Does such a thing exist? The Second and Fourth chapters have been translated by Vesna Wallace, and are available (separately) from Columbia. A draft translation of the Third chapter appears in Jensine Andresen's dissertation "Kalacakra: Textual and Ritual Perspectives", and parts of the First chapter appears in John R. Newman's dissertation "The Outer Wheel of Time: Varjayana Buddhist Cosmology in the Kalacakra Tantra".
I don't know of any translations of the Fifth chapter, or of the remainder of the first chapter untranslated by Newman.

Of course, the Vimalaprabha is available as "Ornament of Stainless Light" from Wisdom Pubs.

None of the above are terribly difficult to find-- both dissertations are on ProQuest, and the books are in print.

Good summary, but I think "Ornament of Stainless Light" from Wisdom Pubs might just be Khedrup Norsang Gyatso's commentary on the Vimalaprabha - not sure if it has the text itself. However, Wallace's 4th chapter features the Vimalaprabha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:02 am 

In "Working Towards Enlightenment" and "To Realize Enlightenment", Master Nan Huai Chin kept quoting from a book, or book serie??(not sure)??, called "Record or Records of Pointing at the Moon" I don't think it's been translated into English, I'd still like to get my hands on a copy though. I'm taking Chinese at my University this fall!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 pm 

Quote:
Re: What are you looking for?

I would be looking for the transmission mechanism of Buddha to the disciple ananda.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:44 am 

Are people still looking for this:
Østensen, Morten. In the Presence of the Dharmakaya: Dzogchen Practice According to Khangsar Tenpe Wangchug’s Notes on Dza Paltrul’s Extraordinary Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King (mkhas pa shri rgyal po’i khyad chos). M.A. thesis, 2008

If so, please send me a message.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:05 am 

Old e-sangha posts. Were they mirrored anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 am 

yegyal wrote:
Østensen, Morten. In the Presence of the Dharmakaya: Dzogchen Practice According to Khangsar Tenpe Wangchug’s Notes on Dza Paltrul’s Extraordinary Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King (mkhas pa shri rgyal po’i khyad chos). M.A. thesis, 2008

To anyone interested in Dzogchen, I would recommend taking up yegyal on his kind offer. I haven't had a chance to look over the translation yet, but the 50 pg introduction is a highly stimulating survey of the literary history of the Dzogchen literature in general building on Germano's work, the snying thig in particularly, and Garab Dorje's three points especially. Also interesting is the information about Khangsar Tenpe Wangchug, a still-living contemporary of Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok who is apparently held in similarly high regard in Tibet/Western China today.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm 

yegyal wrote:

Yes yes yes! I'm still deeply interested ! Sent you an pm earlier today!