Shine: One objet or many?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
TaTa

Shine: One objet or many?

Post by TaTa »

Since I've started meditating i have always stayed with the breath, except maybe some mantras. I'm now trying to use other objects every now and then because i think it will help with my "non sitting" practice.

What do you think is better, to stay with one objet or to try many?
Inge

Re: Shine: One objet or many?

Post by Inge »

TaTa wrote:Since I've started meditating i have always stayed with the breath, except maybe some mantras. I'm now trying to use other objects every now and then because i think it will help with my "non sitting" practice.

I think that if you know what you want to achieve it becomes more easy to choose the proper method.
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

My teachers teach us to use a variety of objects, to have them in our so-called "tool box" to call upon when our meditation gets stagnant or needs an adjustment. But, I don't use a different object every day. I try to stick with what seems to work best and focus on that. The objects can range from something as mundane as a pebble or even a pen to something sacred like an image of the Buddha.
Hope that makes sense! :meditate:
Lise
lobster

Post by lobster »

Teachers have suggested variety :twothumbsup:
Do both. What works combined with variety. :smile:
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Inge wrote:
TaTa wrote:Since I've started meditating i have always stayed with the breath, except maybe some mantras. I'm now trying to use other objects every now and then because i think it will help with my "non sitting" practice.

I think that if you know what you want to achieve it becomes more easy to choose the proper method.
Could you elaborate based on your expirience?
oushi

Post by oushi »

Try many different at once.
Say what you think about me here.
Terma

Post by Terma »

I think you should use whatever will help you at that particular time. If focusing on your breath does it, then go with that. if you feel distracted by outer phenomena, focus on an object. if you feel the need for a little inspiration, perhaps a statue or a picture of a lineage master you have faith in will work.

But of course this only goes for shine practice while sitting. Doesn't apply during times away from the cushion, so perhaps you can incorporate present attention on your thoughts, watching them arise and subside, etc. during your formal practice. I think this kind of awareness greatly helps us in our time away from formal practice. We all have to think over the course of our busy days, so using methods to "distract" our minds during meditation is tough to integrate into everyday life.

Just another look from a different angle :smile:

Terma
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

You should use one object for shine. This should either be the breath itself or a visualized image of Shakyamuni Buddha manifesting in wisdom light. We could go in depth into shine and many objects of meditation will work but focusing on breath is appropriate for everyone and focusing on Shakyamuni Buddha generates a great deal of merit and purification.

Of course when you begin shine you always begin with the breath anyway. Then after you mind is settled you would focus on your actual object of meditation (breath or visualization or mantra).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Meditation”