What are good books/sites/activities to start off?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
zAnt

What are good books/sites/activities to start off?

Post by zAnt »

Greetings,

I have been introduced to Buddhism for about 2 years now, and I have made many pushes towards it, but I can never find my self to continue with it. It always fades away for me. I like Buddhism, but it's hard to find sources to study teachings, or even learn about the different types of Buddhism.

I've been searching, but I can only find the basics of Buddhism. There is no definite starting point, and I need a guide, because I can't do this alone.

I come from a Christian family, and have been Christian for my younger years. Then i devoted two years to Wicca, which I didn't enjoy. I've been atheist for majority of my life and I see Buddhism as the key to happiness.

I know the basics of Buddhism, I know the basics of meditation. But I want to be taught more. I want to be self sufficient. I want to be happy.
viniketa

Re: What are good books/sites/activities to start off?

Post by viniketa »

Sometimes these boards tend to hide things... so, you may or may not have seen this thread:

Buddhism Resources
http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=2984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

For Tibetan Buddhism study the "Lam Rim" texts

Here's a Lam Rim summary: http://tinyurl.com/96xonl2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a short Lam Rim: http://tinyurl.com/93dp4jc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For a fully fleshed out Lam Rim buy the three Book "The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment" set.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

You want to be happy, read "Healing Anger" by the Dalai Lama, and hop over to Wildmind and do the guided meditations. Then you'll be happy. Or well on your way to it.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
lobster

Post by lobster »

zAnt wrote:I know the basics of Buddhism, I know the basics of meditation. But I want to be taught more. I want to be self sufficient. I want to be happy.
Seems reasonable. :smile:
However you only want it for a bit. Then you get bored, distracted and wimp out? So we need some general purpose teaching to strengthen resolve? Seems my situation too . . . :reading:

How about this, let's hope it works . . .
http://youtu.be/SPpzKQPhV2E
philji

Post by philji »

Dear Zant,
A couple of points in your post which lead me to believe you are on the right track.
One..you recognise that you need a guide
Two....you want to be happy, this is a basic recognition that all beings want to be happy and free from suffering but our actions caused through ignorance lead us in the opposite direction.
Good luck with your search.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Hi zAnt!

Initially read the life stories of great Buddhist masters beginning with Shakyamuni Buddha.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

It's hard to go wrong with a daily breathing meditation practice. That's a great activity for anyone, regardless if they are just starting off or very experienced. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

kirtu wrote:Hi zAnt!

Initially read the life stories of great Buddhist masters beginning with Shakyamuni Buddha.

Kirt
I concur with this recommendation.
zAnt

Post by zAnt »

I have more of a question for you guys now.

Me being an atheist, I've found myself not governed to moral codes or ethics. I've noticed today that I am a mean, judgmental person, corrupted with luxuries and pleasures. Even with all of this, I am not truly happy. I only found potential "highs" when I'm with friends or drowning myself in entertainment.

I want this to end. I want to be a good human, with respect for life. I don't want to be so desensitized to all situations. Will Buddhism cure my sickness? Or are there extra steps to take, since I'm so far in the hole.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

zAnt wrote:I have more of a question for you guys now.

Me being an atheist, I've found myself not governed to moral codes or ethics. I've noticed today that I am a mean, judgmental person, corrupted with luxuries and pleasures. Even with all of this, I am not truly happy. I only found potential "highs" when I'm with friends or drowning myself in entertainment.

I want this to end. I want to be a good human, with respect for life. I don't want to be so desensitized to all situations. Will Buddhism cure my sickness? Or are there extra steps to take, since I'm so far in the hole.
Oh yes.

You should reflect on and observe:
The first two Noble Truths: Life is unsatisfying and this is because of craving.
Impermanence: Everything ends. Furthermore, every second everything has decayed by one second.
Cause and effect. Everything exists because of something else.

Thus you should enjoy pleasure while not craving it or clinging to it and keep karma in mind at all times. Craving and clinging doesn't make sense, because everything ends thus suffering arises when your pleasures end. Also, Karma is simply cause and effect.

Please feel free to post questions on the forum or PM me. There are no stupid questions.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”