YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The way to Nirvana - Page 5 - Dhamma Wheel

The way to Nirvana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rowyourboat

Re: The way to Nirvana

Postby rowyourboat » Sat May 21, 2011 5:04 am

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:02 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat May 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Freewaru,

It certainly is very interesting- even more fascinating is the lates quantum theory research which seems to show that the universe seems to exist as energy/wave forms (ie not anything that can de detected by the 6 senses) unless there is an act of observation - this clearly suggests that the universe disintegrates into nothingness when no one is watching! Hence we should not, according to quantum theory and kalaka sutta imagine that anything exists, in what is not sensed! Apparently there was an interesting conversation between Einstein and Neils Bohr where the former asks the latter 'is it true that the moon doesn't exist when no one is observing it?' and the latter replies, 'can you prove that it does?'. :)

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed May 25, 2011 4:55 am

Hi Tilt,

From an ultimate truth perspective, one moment of experience gives rise to the next moment (to simplify greatly). Conditioned in the sense of 'tainting' is a modern addition to the Buddhist sphere from (behavioural) psychology. Since dhammas arise and pass away rapidly there is nothing that lasts that can 'slip into' another dhamma. It gives rise to another dhamma or it doesn't.

However from another perspective you are correct, if we say that one moment of experiencing contains within it all of the 12 links of the DO or that the highest moment of realisation contains within it all the eight elements of the noble eightfold path.

In any case nibbana being 'unconditioned' seem to arise from it being 'un-caused' (from a nibbana-dhathu perspective). But when you consider other ways of expressing the same thing (lack of lobha, dosa, moha) then calling it unconditioned by these things also makes sense. :smile:

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Thu May 26, 2011 10:29 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu May 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Freewaru

Well the Einstein-Bohr discussion apparently actualy took place. It was a discussion on physics, not philosophy. The known universe seems to disintegrate into waveforms when It is not being observed. Another interesting question is (apparently) why the universe can be explored through mathematics - why it is amenable to that (no automatic reason why it should). It seems some form of intelligence is at play, most likely the creators of mathematics - us! The truth is stranger than fiction .. or religion!

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu May 26, 2011 11:58 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri May 27, 2011 3:57 am

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Sun May 29, 2011 10:59 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Mon May 30, 2011 5:35 am

..or have more minds like spaceships with warpdrive :jumping: :jedi:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

lilacbloom

Postby lilacbloom » Tue May 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Hello!

I just read this thread and it reminded me of our philosophy class back in school wherein we were asked to dissect the novel Siddharta and how he was sick of life. I realized that I too have reached that point wherein I feel I am in autopilot mode, following through the course of life simply because I cannot imagine myself doing anything else. It makes me wonder if I am not "living" per se but just coursing through the journey of life. Did anyone feel the same way at any point in their life? My husband has just recently started meditating classes, and although I do not seem to notice any improvements yet, I keep questioning on whether I too should go on that journey and begin meditation. I'm afraid though that I might not be able to concentrate at all. Does anyone have a say in this? It will really help me very much. Thanks!

-lilac

icyteru

Postby icyteru » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:24 pm

The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”