Does anyone here practice won buddhism?

Does anyone here practice won buddhism?

Postby Jeenia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 am

I came across the www.wonbuddhism.org website and found it rather interesting and wanted to know if anyone here practices it.
Jeenia

Re: Does anyone here practice won buddhism?

Postby Jikan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

I do not, but I have read some of their teachings and met some practitioners. If there's a temple or center in your area, perhaps pay a visit and see?
Great River Tendai Sangha: a Tendai Buddhist community in Alexandria, Virginia, USA (near Washington, DC):

http://dctendai.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/dctendai
Jikan
Former staff member

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't practice Won Buddhism either, but I find it interesting. I started a thread about it a long time ago, but unfortunately, no one ever replied.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=11643

I don't know where the Won Buddhists are on the internet... Perhaps they stay on their own forums?
Luke

Postby Doyle Lee » Wed May 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi~ I just found this question while I'm goolgling some information.

Thus, I would like to response to your question as I know about it. Perhaps the time passed by so long.. though.

You can search the information of Won Buddhism via website: www.wonbuddhism.org
and also here are other information of them:
Won Buddhism of Manhattan temple : www. nyc.wonbuddhism.org
www.wonbuddhist.org

Won Dharma Center : www.wondharmacenter.org

There are several temples in the East part and West America.
in Chicago, Boston, New york, Philadelpia, Washington, North Carolina, Florida.
San francisco, Berkley, LA, San diego, Colorado(denver), Texas...etc. I can remember only these things.

Here is what I can respond to it with my poor English. :)
Thanks. Palms together. _()_
Doyle Lee

Postby Caodemarte » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:29 am

In case anybody else is interested in this old topic, there are several groups with different roots , some that look legitimate and some that don't, that now call themselves Won Buddhists. This does not appear to be an attempt to deceive, but mostly just a common choice of a good name (Won is the Korean for the symbol for enlightenment or enso in Japanese).

There used to be one Korean organization that used the name. Years later there was another. Both were fairy generic in terms of Korean Buddhist thought and both were strongly focussed on the laity. In the last few years other groups (some apparently based in the West) have sprung up using the term Won Buddhism, but not strongly linked to either of the two original groups. Some appear to profess generic Buddhist thought, but some appear to be fairly eccentric.
Caodemarte

Postby Jetavan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Caodemarte wrote:In case anybody else is interested in this old topic, there are several groups with different roots , some that look legitimate and some that don't, that now call themselves Won Buddhists.

It takes Won to know Won.
Jetavan

Return to Seon