YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Progressing with meditation - Dhamma Wheel

Progressing with meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
nicjones

Progressing with meditation

Postby nicjones » Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm

I have attended a local buddhist meditation group on and off for years now but feel I really have not progressed passed the very basic still.

I find meditating to be a very peaceful experience but that is about as far as it goes.

I will admit to not dedicating much personal time to it (no where to meditate at home) and I don't go every week to the group so maybe that is my problem.

I really want to progress and reap the benefits that Meditation brings but need some advise on how to do that and what I can expect to see as a result

Any advice is welcome!

daverupa

Re: Progressing with meditation

Postby daverupa » Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 pm

What have you been doing thus far?

nicjones

Postby nicjones » Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 pm

SeekingTruth

Postby SeekingTruth » Wed May 25, 2011 1:16 pm

"Just go into the center of the room, and put one chair in the center. Take the one seat in the center of the room, open the doors and windows, and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come." —AJAHN CHAH

nicjones

Postby nicjones » Wed May 25, 2011 1:35 pm

SeekingTruth

Postby SeekingTruth » Wed May 25, 2011 1:40 pm

"Just go into the center of the room, and put one chair in the center. Take the one seat in the center of the room, open the doors and windows, and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come." —AJAHN CHAH

David2

Postby David2 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:40 pm

reflection

Postby reflection » Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 pm

If you really want to progress, meditate every day you can. You'll be able to find a way if you want to. Because if you don't practice often you will not really progress. It's just like sporting once a week keeps you fit, but you won't really get good at it and it won't win you a marathon ;)

I also don't live in the quietest house, but the advices given above help! You can also meditate outside in your garden/balcony or in a park.

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 am

I see that you started your practice by attending a group at a local centre Nic. I suggest that you contact that group again and ask for more instruction one-to one. If they cannot do this then perhaps they could suggest someone that could.
Hands on instruction from someone who is more experienced than we is vital in my opinion.
If you can find such instruction, put all your books and tapes and vids away for the time being. Just keep out your suttas and commentaries. And follow the advice you are given by the instructor.
Just a little bit "off" leads to more problems than is necessary.
Hands-on contact also helps maintain our motivation.

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu May 26, 2011 8:40 am

PeterB's advice is good.
I second it.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

nicjones

Postby nicjones » Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 am

Appreciate the advice guys, thanks.

Can you also explain what i can expect to experience from learning to meditate beyond the relaxation that I get now?

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Thu May 26, 2011 10:53 am

Slava

Postby Slava » Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 pm

The Buddha teaches nothing less than the totality of suffering and the ending of that totality of suffering.

Often without such a grand goal, the motivation to practice will be weak.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri May 27, 2011 7:39 am

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”