Hello from Paris, France.

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Anistar

Hello from Paris, France.

Post by Anistar »

Hello everyone,

I have decided to take refuge, at the moment it is just privately and my pratice is solitary but I hope to find a physical place to pratice and take refuge soon.

I have long been called to the buddist path, but I have never been willing to commit to the 5th precept of no alochol. I am very attached to the delusion of happy contentment it brings me.

But now, for the sake of all the suffering and struggles of my past and future lives I commit to this path, so that at least I can build upon the good karma that my past selves had given me to help my future selves.

I am a mother of three and a stay at home mum and I find that being a mother and a wife is so difficult. My husband brings up a million resentments (from socks on the ground to leaving empty milk containers in the fridge). My children test my patience and pull me constantly out of the present mindfulness.

I long for a nunnery, but I know that here in this enviroment surrounded by those that you that drive me crazy, I have the chance to build my strenght of mindfulness up the most.

Love and laughter to you all
Jay
Dechen Norbu

Re: Hello from Paris, France.

Post by Dechen Norbu »

You don't have to take all the precepts in all schools.
You can take refuge and still have a drink. That's not a problem.
Still, it's better for your health if you don't get drunk.

Welcome, by the way. :)
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Bonjour Jay,

It's better to be stuck in the mud. No mud, no lotus.

DBH

P.S. Wine's fine when drunk at the right time.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Anistar wrote:I long for a nunnery
Hi Jay, :hi:

Me too. :namaste:
I hope to become a None at some future date.
On one of my shrines (not uncommon for us dakinis) I had a beer, in case any of the deities required
a drink. The Buddha can manifest as a bottle of wine for us to avoid or sanctify.
Who is it that said 'this is my blood'? Some deity or other . . . :smile:

Where do you think the charnel grounds and places of power reside?
That is right, as you say, amongst the husbands and children and our
whines . . . :woohoo:

:hug:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
Anistar

Post by Anistar »

Thank you everyone for your warm hellos!

When I drink wine, I have to step off the spiritual path. My thoughts will be (more) clouded, my feelings will be based on an intoxicant, my actions will be slowed by the drink. I can not guarantee that I will not act heedlessly.

I truely devote my life from this moment forth on helping all beings find enlightenment. I don't feel I can step off my path for a drink. What if that was my last moment, spent clouded instead of in clarity?

I know it is not wrong to drink, but I am addicted to wine, I can not only have one glass, I have to have the entire bottle. Not everynight, but everytime I decide to have a drink it has to be the entire bottle, and that is not the middle way.

Giving up wine, to me, is truely saying yes to enlightenment. I still crave wine, the sense of easy contentment, the quite of the mind it gives me. But I know within buddhism I can find a true and real contentment and quite of mind that comes from within me, instead of one built on an intoxicant.

I know this is a personal cross for me to bare and that wine is not a negative thing and it certainly has its place on the middleway.

But only when you control it, it doesn't control you.

Jay
lobster

Post by lobster »

but I am addicted to wine
Well said. You have confessed and acknowledged a source of suffering.
You have made a commitment.
You really are at the heart of Buddhism :bow:

:thanks:
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome Anistar.

My teacher tells me if you know the problem, why don't you fix it :) .

There great about tibetan buddhism is they always advise you to start exactly from where you are :)
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Dear Anistar,
Fortunately in Paris you have many options in terms of dharma centres. If finding a centre is what you want I am sure with a little bit of time and a sense of adventure you will eventually find your dharma "home".
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Hi Jay,

A warm welcome from France, recently near Paris, just moved to Ardèche ... if you need information regarding Paris, center and so on, do not hesitate to PM me.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Anistar

Post by Anistar »

Thanks everyone for the further warm welcomes.
I was lucky enough to take refuge with Lodreu Rabsel Rinpoche a week ago during a two day retreat that was dedicated to understanding the refuge.
Taking one day at a time and really excited to see where this journey takes me.

Kindest regards
Jay
lobster

Post by lobster »

Anistar wrote:Taking one day at a time and really excited to see where this journey takes me.

Jay
:thumbsup: You make me happy for you :thumbsup:
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Bonjour Jay,

and welcome!

In Gassho,

Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.

Return to “Introductions”