Change Tibetan Buddhism

How can we improve this forum to better serve our members?

Re: Change Tibetan Buddhism

Postby Astus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Originally it was Vajrayana forum, but it was changed because on one hand Tibetan Buddhism includes its own Mahayana interpretations. On the other hand, Shingon is different in many aspects from Tibetan Vajrayana (for instance it's heavily influenced by Huayan teachings). Also, Vajrayana in Bhutan and Mongolia are derivatives of Tibetan traditions and they still have close connections.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby mutsuk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Thank you vey much! :bow:
mutsuk

Postby Yudron » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 pm

lobster wrote:Tibet Autonomous Region Buddhism or Chinese Buddhism or Vajrayana?
Political agenda and other baggage Buddhism?

I think most people wish to practice vajrayana, a rich heritage not owned or practiced in one region only. :shrug:

I understand wanting to come up with a different name for it, because Tibetan Buddhism sounds culturally bound. It doesn't even include the other Himalayan countries that practice it. I'm not a Tibeto-phile, I'm a Dharma practitioner.

However, sadly, there isn't another term that includes the scope of our lineages, so it won't work to change it (back).
Yudron

Postby lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:16 pm

:smile: It seems we can practice with or without a name. Tantric Buddhism is another term that may be descriptive, with sub headings for particular schools . . . :smile:
lobster

Postby jikai » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 am

another potential problem would be defining which category a school such as Tendai would fall under. Tendai practices both the exoteric and esoteric so where perhaps would it fall?

Gassho
Jikai
"There are no seperate dharma's in the Three Realms. There is only the operation of the one mind."
"Whoever wishes to benefit beings ought to establish teachings that fit their capacities, expound the dharma in accordance with their capacities, and match the doctrines to them"
jikai

Postby T. Chokyi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:21 am

Sönam wrote:
mutsuk wrote:
Sönam wrote:What about Tantric Buddhism (Tantrayana)?

Sönam

"Vajrayana Buddhism" or "Tantric Buddhism" does not change anything, this is exactly the same thing. If TIbetan Buddhism is changed into anything "Tantric/Vajra" Whatever" then you'll have to put Dzogchen out of that, as well as Sutra Mahamudra, all the Geluk-related mahayana teachings/subject, all the Jonang stuff that is non-tantric, etc. This will simply makes things more complex if one is to look for, say, Kagyu stuff in the "Tantric/Vajra Whatever" and somewhere else for all subjects in Kagyu (etc.) which are not tantric. There is already the subforum "Buddhist Tantra Talk". Why change ?

The answer is that these proposals for changes from people who do not post interesting things at all in Tibetan Buddhism are coming right in time when the sole interesting guy (with a welcome big mouth and knowledge) has already left that forum. More non-pertinent changes like the one proposed will simply add to the weakening of the forum itself. But I'm sure there are clear agendas behind that. That's too easy...

I agree concerning Vajra and Tantra and so on ... it was just an answer to the existence of a tantric school in Japan (and therefore non Tibetan).

But I once more agree (whouaaah) with you concerning Malcom's departure and the "coup de peinture" that would not change the luminosity of the forum ... but I also have some ideas that it is not the end of our forum-exchanges with that sole interesting guy.

Sönam

I don't see a problem with "Tibetan Buddhism" because most people have not heard of "Vajrayana" but people generally have heard of "Tibetan Buddhism".

I have to agree with Sonam, there were two "interesting guys" here on this board that "left", both Malcolm and Dechen. Malcolm is a kind of "blessing" and "curse" at the same time, but I appreciate his candidness and also his intellect. Dechen was very "energetic" and "enthusiastic" about Dharma.

Someone could start a thread to ask them both back, if they are so inclined, perhaps stating the reasons why they could participate once in a while would be a good idea, then send a link to their email boxes, seems that "problems" are not totally unsolvable, unless of course "peeps" want them to be unsolvable.

:namaste:
T. Chokyi

Postby Tara » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The forum name "Tibetan Buddhism" is not going to be changed.
It's not a competition. It's a choice.
Tara
Tara
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Suggestion Box