YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

How can a person just by meditating HELP all Beings? - Dhamma Wheel

How can a person just by meditating HELP all Beings?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
kiranraj

How can a person just by meditating HELP all Beings?

Postby kiranraj » Sat May 21, 2011 6:37 pm

I have heard a talk by ajahn brahm where he gives this talk just after 6 months of solitary retreat and this talk is given in 2002 called "Six months of Bliss"

Where he says of All that Good he could have done by giving Dhamma talks on friday nights and all other BSWA related activities ..this is by far the best thing he could have done for All Beings! Don't quote me on that..but something similar!

http://bassflava.com/mp3/Ajahn+Brahm+-+ ... Bliss.html

I think it could be by inspiring other people to follow the path on to nirvana which could be of huge merit if done so...but other than that ....how is it more valuable than other Dhamma Work?

How is it not only beneficial to the being doing it but also to other beings? My MIND needs more explanation :)

Metta :)

ancientbuddhism

Re: How can a person just by meditating HELP all Beings?

Postby ancientbuddhism » Sat May 21, 2011 6:43 pm

I’m not sure about the ‘all’ part, but I would like to think that if I meditate that it will have a positive effect with my relations to those around me.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Well for what it's worth it is quite a common teaching in Mahayana (the folks here who have condemned AB as schismatic and a heretic will sagely nod their heads :tongue: )

Personally I am not quite sure how to take this teaching. I guess ultimately we are not exactly separate, so purifying my mind I purify all minds to some extent. Why then is there suffering after all these wonderful enlightened beings have come and gone? I don't know. Probably because we choose it (based on our kamma).

But best to ask Ajahn Brahm what he meant.
_/|\_

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun May 22, 2011 12:02 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:45 am

Yes of course. The hypothetical question comes of whether it would still be so beneficial for all if he (AB) had died right after the retreat.
_/|\_

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 am

kiranraj

Postby kiranraj » Sun May 22, 2011 2:35 am

Thanks Guys :) ...retro i think the sutta provides more insight :)

[*]it will have a positive effect with my relations to those around me.
[*]Ripple...Chain Effect
[*]quality of our interaction with all those around us depends on the degree of our own self-understanding and self-control.
[*]Inspiration for others to walk on the path and attain Nirvana

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Sun May 22, 2011 8:45 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Kaktus

Postby Kaktus » Sun May 22, 2011 5:29 pm

English isn´t my native language. So please accept my apologies for my kind of spelling and grammar ;-)

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Sun May 22, 2011 10:34 pm

One study actually showed that the clients of psychotherapists who do mindfulness meditation get better than the clients of psychotherapists who don't. So this isn't just a theoretical argument.

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 am

I don't see how sitting still in meditation is actively helping anyone.

However you could argue that meditation transforms one's mind in such a way that they are more inclined to help people once off the cushion (but I'm not sure that is applicable to all meditators).

One thing you can say though is that when you're meditating you're not doing anyone any harm ;)
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

icyteru

Postby icyteru » Fri May 27, 2011 5:00 pm

maybe like buddha boy just by meditating, he proves the truth of Buddhism to the world, so many people learn Buddhism?
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 29, 2011 12:41 pm

depends on what you mean by meditating?

if you mean by a continuous practice 24/7 then by living as an example of an actual human being, rather than an animal, you can possitively affect some people, and they can possitively affect others, think pyramid scheme!

being an authentic human being is hard, and everyone likes a trustworthy person, rather than an animal that bites the hand trying to feed it!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

fabianfred

Postby fabianfred » Sun May 29, 2011 9:00 pm

There are ten different ways to make merit (create positive karma). The more difficult which requires more effort and energy makes more merit. Meditation being the hardest (Vipassana being harder than Samatha) so earns the most merit. At the end of each session of meditation, or act of merit making such as chanting or giving alms, one should share the merits with all beings.
This is of benefit to all beings. Also meditation helps us to perfect ourselves. We cannot make the world perfect, but we are a tiny part of the world and we can at least make our tiny part as perfect as we can, thus helping to perfect the whole.

kiranraj

Postby kiranraj » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:28 am

Here's a Quote By Buddha

"To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to ALL, one must first discipline and control one's own MIND If a man can control his MIND he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him."-Buddha

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 am

santa100

Postby santa100 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:08 am

Ajahn Brahm's statement does make a lot of sense. Notice he said meditation benefits "All Beings", not just "Human Beings". Out of the 6 realms (hell, hungry ghosts, animal, human, asura, heaven), only 2 (human and animal) out of 6 posess this crude gross physical form. So obviously we can't really perform any physical charity works to help beings in the other realms. The only way to help them is to use a pure mind free of taints, which is what we get during meditation. So, assuming there're equal number of beings living in each realm, the one who whole-heartedly meditates will be able to benefit all the beings in all 6 realms of existence, not just 2....

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:24 am

Hi,

Someone asked the Buddha the question: “And how, Lord, does a lay follower live for the welfare of both himself and others?”, and the answer explains how we can benefit both ourselves and others through our practice. I guess you can include meditation also :

“And how, Lord, does a lay follower live for his own welfare but not for the welfare of others?”
“If, Mahānāma, a lay follower has faith, virtue and generosity himself, but does not encourage others in gaining faith, virtue and generosity; if he himself likes to visit monks and to listen to the good Dhamma, but does not encourage others to do so; if he himself retains in mind the teachings heard and carefully examines the meaning of those teachings, but does not encourage others to do so; if, having understood both the letter and the meaning, he himself lives in conformity with the Dhamma, but does not encourage others to do so—in such a case, Mahānāma, a lay follower lives for his own welfare but not for the welfare of others.”

“And how, Lord, does a lay follower live for the welfare of both himself and others?”
“If, Mahānāma, a lay follower himself has faith, virtue and generosity, and also encourages others in gaining them; if he himself likes to visit monks and to listen to the good Dhamma, and he also encourages others to do so; if he himself retains in mind the teachings heard and carefully examines their meaning, and he also encourages others to do so; if, having understood both the letter and the meaning, he himself practises in accordance with the Dhamma and also encourages others to do so—in such a case, Mahānāma, a lay follower lives for the welfare of both himself and others.”- Anguttara Nikaya

With metta,
with metta,

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”