Halo During Amitabha Retreat

sinweiy

Halo During Amitabha Retreat

Post by sinweiy »

...sharing with everyone the auspicious signs on 2nd and 3rd day of the Retreat during the 100 million Amitabha recitation at Tai Pei Centre Singapore.

Something looks like a lotus was circulating round the sun. This was witnessed by hundreds of devotees. These 3 pictures were taken by my friends. I believe those who used to go to this temple can recognise the rooftop of the temple in the pictures. Hope that Pureland practitioners will have stronger faith upon seeing these pictures. However, remember no attachment.

_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
plwk

Re: Halo During Amitabha Retreat

Post by plwk »

Nice sun ring... the 'lotus' thingy? I don't see any except for a spot of reddish/whitish light, camera exposure or flare or what?
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Amazing. Thanks for sharing sinweiy. :)
How many days did the retreat last?
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

They're called 'Sun Dogs'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

Nighthawk wrote:Amazing. Thanks for sharing sinweiy. :)
How many days did the retreat last?

100 MILLION AMI DEWA RECITATION RETREAT

The world has been tormented by countless disasters, natural and man-made since beginning-less time. Countless lives has been lost and Sentient Beings have suffered from untold hardships.

Due to his 48 great vows, Buddha Amitabha has made it possible for all who call upon him with unwavering faith and trust to be reborn in the Land of Ultimate Bliss where he will receive them personally. ^ The Sutra on the Buddha of Infinite Life delivered by Śakyamuni Buddha

With a sincere intention to liberate all Sentient Beings from Samsara, to purify all causes leading to future disasters as well as to further aid one's Phowa Practice, this retreat call upon a thousand unfaltering hearts to gather under the ingenious guidance of H.E. Garchen Rinpoche to make it a success.

We warmly welcome all Dharma Friends from the 3 schools of Buddhism and from the various Lineages to join us to accumulate 100 million counts of Ami Dewa Mantra by which we dedicate to world peace and harmony of all elements.

A) PROGRAMME SCHEDULE

27th Oct 2011 (Thurs | 7.30pm~9.30pm): Amitabha Empowerment
(open to public)
2 0 1 1 年1 0 月2 7 日 ( 星期四 | 晚上7 点半至9 点半): 阿弥陀佛灌顶
(开放於公众)

28th – 31st Oct 2011 (Fri - Mon | 9am - 9:30pm): Close Door Retreat
2 0 1 1 年1 0 月2 8 至3 1 日 (星期五至一 | 上午9点至晚上9点半): 闭关法会

Last Day of retreat (Mon | 4 - 6pm): Amitabha Jang Chog PUJA
闭关最后一日 (星期一 | 下午4点至6点): 阿弥陀佛超度法会

B) REGISTRATION FEE
~ General Public: $100

~ General Public's purchase of Tkt before1st Sept: $85

~ Member: $80

~ Senior Citizen (60 & above) & Student: $70

~ Retreat + Accommodation package for Overseas Participant @ S$288

C) REGISTRATION DETAILS
~ Personal Registration in our Centre @ No. 15, Geylang Lor 29 #04-01, PTH Building
http://www.facebook.com/events/create.p ... 4676416239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Registration Booth is open at the following time slot:
Friday: 7pm - 9pm
Saturday: 2pm - 6pm
Sunday: 10.30am - 6pm

~ Download the registration form from http://www.amidewa-retreat.com.sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~ Email registration form to [email protected] or mail the registration form to No. 15, Geylang Lorong 29, #04-01, Singapore 388069.

~ Preferred Payment is Cash or Cheque. Please make cash payment @ our Centre personally. Do not send cash via post.

~ If Cash or Cheque payment is not viable, alternative payment method such as Bank Transfer may be considered.

~ Oversea participants, please contact Sally @ 9238 2832 or Allan @ 9740 4405 for booking of retreat ticket & accommodation for this retreat.

~ For enquiries, please contact CK @ 96937133, Sally @ 9238 2832, Allan @ 9740 4405, Summer @ 8147 2157.

~ Refer to our Retreat Website http://www.amidewa-retreat.com.sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for continuous updates on this retreat.

OM TARE TUTTARE TURE MAMA AYUR JANA PUNYE PUNTRIM KURU SOHA

With prayers,

The Events Team
Dri Thubten Dargye Ling
(Garchen Buddhist Centre, Singapore)
Tel: 63960960
Centre Web address: http://www.dargye-ling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Retreat Web address: http://www.amidewa-retreat.com.sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/events/136654676416239/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

It doenst seen like a "sundog" effect, but more like a flare lens effect.

But since everybody saw that, its not a lens effect i think.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

A rainbow forming a complete circle - that is the sign of Skanda Bodhisattva. :namaste:
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

It's a 22degree halo. Totally natural effect and quite common. Google it.
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

actually i wasn't looking at the halo, which i know it's natural, wrong title sorry, i was more looking at the pink colour "lotus-like thingy. there's a white spot in the center of the lotus in all the 3 pictures. :thinking:
_/\_
Amituofo!

jnanasutra

Post by jnanasutra »

sun-dog, completely normal- not super-natural. the "pinkish lotus", just refraction- you can see it intruding on the roof of the temple in the second photo (which implies it is "inside" the camera as it overlays the entire image). The white spot at the center is merely the refracted original image of the sun. nothing super-natural here. very nice sign for the mind if one wishes it to be so. but again, you said in your original post- "no attachment". i would think this applies to ordinary phenom as well... :)
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

jnanasutra wrote:... the "pinkish lotus",... intruding on the roof of the temple in the second photo.... :)
there's a very good observation! :smile:
_/\_
Amituofo!

Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

These seem to be the same photos as the previous ones posted, however the "lotus" in the others look like lense flare... http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Yup its lens flare. Happens whenever you point a cheap lens at an intense light source. Happens with some of the expensive ones too.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
lobster

Post by lobster »

catmoon wrote:Yup its lens flare
Lovely stuff. Produces great effects.
After my recent retreat I found a Buddha shaped stone. I have heard mantras in boiler systems and sacred sounds in the clanging of pots and pans.
We are creatures that generate meanings and the auspicious. Some things can be very impressive. The ordinary for example . . . :smile:
First there is a mountan, then no mountain, then a cable car . . .
CreativeMind

Post by CreativeMind »

The poster has mentioned that lots of people have seen the 'lotus', with their bare eyes and not through a camera lens I presumed.

In this case, the lens flare effect may be ruled out.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Sinwey, the "flare"/"lotus" we see in the pics is the same that people really saw at naked eye?
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

this was from my friend's friend who was there to take it. i was not there to witness, so i have no comment, as the 2nd photo does look like a fare before the building instead of above the building. :thinking:
maybe they all just saw the 22degree halo? yes, it's natural, but rare to appear at time of the recitation retreat. even seeing a rainbow sign at that time is consider auspicious to me. :smile:
_/\_
Amituofo!

Namgyal

Post by Namgyal »

If you want to dismiss it as faulty equipment or ordinary 'scientific' phenomena, then that is your choice. However, traditionally in Buddhism such things are viewed as a very auspicious sign. During teachings and retreats the fortunate can also witness beautiful rainbows and strange clouds. So congratulations on your auspicious retreat! May all your true aspirations swiftly come to fruition!
:namaste: R.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

CreativeMind wrote:The poster has mentioned that lots of people have seen the 'lotus', with their bare eyes and not through a camera lens I presumed.

In this case, the lens flare effect may be ruled out.

The halo is real and a common effect. The lotus is lens flare beyond a shadow of a doubt. You will notice the it does not appear in the same position in each photo, it moves around depending on camera position as lens flare does, and in all of them there is even a small secondary image of the sun in the center of it. If people are claiming to have seen lens flare with the naked eye, they are getting confused with the halo or the reports are garbled together and they are being repeated without rational examination.

This is getting ridiculous. A while back we had a bunch of pictures published here that were taken at night in the rain and the images were spattered with dots of light that were claims to be miraculous "Buddha lights" or something. They were in fact a common effect caused by raindrops getting on the lens. Before you claim a miracle, PLEASE learn a thing or two about photography. Or optics. Or logic. Or anything.

By publishing specious miracle reports you are not doing any service to anyone, you are just making Buddhists appear to be credulous, uneducated bumpkins.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
sinweiy

Post by sinweiy »

Raksha wrote:However, traditionally in Buddhism such things are viewed as a very auspicious sign. During teachings and retreats the fortunate can also witness beautiful rainbows and strange clouds. So congratulations on your auspicious retreat! May all your true aspirations swiftly come to fruition!
:namaste: R.
:namaste: true. auspicious signs also appear when some great masters are born. i have never seen a 22degree halo before in my life. :thinking:

ps: or a lens flare to look like 'lotus' instead of usual circular shape(?) can be quite special though, LOL. :tongue:
maybe they all saw the "lotus-shaped lens flare" Inside the person's camera and felt it was special, i think, i don't know.
_/\_
Amituofo!

Return to “Pure Land”