YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Books..... - Dhamma Wheel

Books.....

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SeekingTruth

Books.....

Postby SeekingTruth » Fri May 20, 2011 1:36 pm

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any books to me which are perhaps biographical in nature and describe the day to day life and journey of an ordained Buddhist monk. Preferably from the Theravadan tradition but other traditions are also fine :)

Thank you in advance.
"Just go into the center of the room, and put one chair in the center. Take the one seat in the center of the room, open the doors and windows, and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come." —AJAHN CHAH

jackson

Re: Books.....

Postby jackson » Fri May 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi SeekingTruth,
I've read two books on life as a monk, one a long time ago called "What the Buddha Never Taught", which was an outsiders story of being a monk for a month or two, and the other was "Venerable Father: A Life With Ajahn Chah", by Paul Breiter. I can't really say I recommend "What the Buddha Never Taught", but in my opinion "Venerable Father" gives an excellent look at what life was like living under Ajahn Chah, plus it is full of Ajahn Chah's wisdom and gave me a better idea of what he was really like. It's a great, easy read and I'd give it 5 stars. Hope that helps.
With metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

Adrien

Postby Adrien » Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm

You also might be interested by this link :
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 pm

offers a Zen perspective, and was interesting reading.

pulga

Postby pulga » Sat May 21, 2011 1:28 am

It's hard to come by, but Michael Carrithers' Forest Monks of Sri Lanka is interesting, informative, and inspiring.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat May 21, 2011 1:29 am

alan

Postby alan » Sat May 21, 2011 3:28 am

I've been thinking about reading Breiter's book. But the fact that he disrobed and then went off to study Tibetan makes me wonder.

ground

Postby ground » Sat May 21, 2011 6:15 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat May 21, 2011 7:03 am

alan

Postby alan » Sun May 22, 2011 2:05 am

Thought about purchasing this book several times, but always got hung up on two questions. If Ajahn Chah was so great, we did he leave? I get the idea that monastic life is not for everyone. But to then go study not only Tibetan but also Zen? I'm left wondering how much weight I can place on his opinions.
I'm sure tilt is right that it is worth reading at some level. Just haven't been convinced to buy it...

SeekingTruth

Postby SeekingTruth » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks for all the recommends :) Much appreciated.
"Just go into the center of the room, and put one chair in the center. Take the one seat in the center of the room, open the doors and windows, and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come." —AJAHN CHAH

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”