Infinity

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Laurens

Infinity

Postby Laurens » Fri May 20, 2011 8:43 am

If the universe is infinite then somewhere out there there is a planet on which someone exactly like me is writing these exact same words on a forum exactly like this on a planet with exactly the same history...

In fact we can actually calculate how far we'd have to travel to reach such a place.

It mentions this and much more in the following documentary:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/to-infinity-and-beyond/

So umm yeah, discuss the mind-blowingness of infinity...
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

daverupa

Re: Infinity

Postby daverupa » Fri May 20, 2011 8:50 am

Infinite tears shed...

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Fri May 20, 2011 1:07 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri May 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Thank you for that Laurens! I will watch it soon. Be well :smile:
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 pm

This was interesting :) . Thank you.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Sun May 22, 2011 11:28 pm

I heard an interesting theory in another documentary, it went something like this:

The universe as we know it began with all matter condensed into an infinitesimally small space. The universe has been observed to be expanding, and the guy on the documentary postulated that it might expand until it is infinitesimally large - which is the same as being infinitesimally small, and so it goes back to the start, and repeats over and over.

Sounds quite Dhammic :) [albeit unsupported by evidence as yet]
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi Laurens. Are you sure you got it right? Because it doesn't make much sense, if at all, to me.

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Mon May 23, 2011 12:04 am

Carl Sagan

alan

Postby alan » Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 am

Even if we assume the universe is infinite the idea seems preposterous. I'll skip that documentary until someone comes up with a better reason to view it.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon May 23, 2011 2:04 am

What idea?

alan

Postby alan » Mon May 23, 2011 2:12 am

The idea expressed in the OP.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon May 23, 2011 2:39 am

If you'd watch the documentary, you would understand why it makes sense.

alan

Postby alan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:01 am

Seriously? You're a math guy, right?
What are the odds, even given infinite possibilities, that there would be similar worlds that would have exact characteristics, even down to specific events---
Oh, wait. I get it now. You're joking.

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Mon May 23, 2011 7:15 am

Carl Sagan

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Mon May 23, 2011 7:17 am

Carl Sagan

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm

8fold

Postby 8fold » Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 am

....the reason I doubt this theory might be non-buddhist, but here I go:

Everything does not statistically reoccur every x amount of times. And the behavior of living beings might not have direct repeatable causes (would this idea be non-Buddhist?)

Two examples:

1. Behavoir example: For no reason at all, I might now stand up and sing the Star Spangled Banner with a piece of fried chicken on my head while watching Dancing with the Stars on TV. This behavior has no repeatable cause. In an infinate universe extending out eons and eons of light years and then squaring that a few zillion times, no one might ever do this again. It just might not happen although the unvierse is infinate. Hence, an exact duplicate of me will never exist.

2. Physical example: At a given moment of time, the earth will be x distance from the sun, y distance from Mercury, z distance from Pluto, and x1 distance from the next closest sun. If the universe is infinate, why would it necessarily have to repeat this at some point in time space? Why can't there just be infinate number of non-repeating solar systems? Even if the molecular orgins of the solar system were the same, it still would not necessarily be equi-distant from other galaxies, etc, IMO.

BTW, thanks very much for the link to that documentary website!

alan

Postby alan » Tue May 24, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks 8fold. I got a kick out of that.
MP: If the universe is infinite we have no way of knowing it intellectually.
"Positing 2 variables, multiplied by 4, leads us to believe that there might be another world where there is--Oh, stop. Enough of this please. It's a waste of time.

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Tue May 24, 2011 7:32 am

Carl Sagan

Akuma

Postby Akuma » Tue May 24, 2011 7:39 am

Return to “Lounge”