Nichiren's last words

ananda

Nichiren's last words

Post by ananda »

What were the master's last words before he died ?
What were the words of his last sermon ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Myoho-Nameless

Re: Nichiren's last words

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

According to "Nichiren, Leader of Buddhist Reformation in Japan"...The people with him started chanting "the Stanzas of Eternity" from the Lotus Sutra. Now according to the book;

"...When those who imagine that I am extinct honor my relics with great reverence, and feel sincere love for me with unbound piety and adoration, and become so gentle and devout, upright, mild, and resolute in faith, and aspire to see me heart and soul, even at the sacrifice of their lives, then I, with my train of disciples, shall reveal myself on the vulture peak, and tell them the following words: 'I am eternally here, have never passed away'....."

Quietly, gently, the weary master's eyelids closed; and he passed peacefully away.

...thou, having wisdom of it all, Shall never doubt it. Leave all uncertainty forever. My words are all true."

The book also says that his last few days were spend with his 6 senior disciples and other people, among other things, instructing them how to carry on after he passes.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

"thou, having wisdom of it all"

"Thou" might be a technically incorrect translation, as "thou" as far as I am aware can only be used in the singular. In middle English "you" was formal singular (like usted) and plural.

course I could be wrong about that.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

The last sermon was a lecture about the Rissho Ankoku Ron, didn't know about the last words though.

Return to “Nichiren”