Dzogchen in English

Sönam

Re: Dzogchen in English

Post by Sönam »

tomamundsen wrote:
Malcolm wrote: Well, in terms of overview, Dudjom Rinpoche's book is fine.
Are you referring to the Big Red Book (The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism: Its Fundamentals and History)?
yes he did ...
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Sönam wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Malcolm wrote: Well, in terms of overview, Dudjom Rinpoche's book is fine.
Are you referring to the Big Red Book (The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism: Its Fundamentals and History)?
yes he did ...
Thank you, Sönam. :namaste:
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

dzogchungpa wrote:This might be a stupid question, but it is a sincere one. Is there anything like a complete, accurate presentation of Dzogchen available in English?
I like the published lectures of Lopon Tenzin Namdak. Extremely clear.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

deepbluehum wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:This might be a stupid question, but it is a sincere one. Is there anything like a complete, accurate presentation of Dzogchen available in English?

Tashi delek,

Yes the teachings of Lopon La are very clear. His introductions are very excellent, also because his English is quite good.
That means the translations from the translators can be followed very easy. They do the translations out of the English amd i must say they know all the Tibet./Nepali "slang" of Lopon La.

It is very good if the Tibetan texts/language is not used regarding the Dzogchen teachings. But that means also, the teacher must be very skiiled in the English Dzogchen terms.

But i know Dzogchen teachers like John Reynolds who make only 1 sentence translations. One sentence in English and one in the other language.

So the clearness of the Dzogchen and other teachings are very dependent about how the teachings are running.
In our programm we also use the one sentence translations and do not use Tibetan.

Mutsug Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

deepbluehum wrote:
Are you referring to "Bonpo Dzogchen Teachings"?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Thanks for the input everybody. I happened to look at the Padmakara group's "Treasury of Precious Qualities" by Jigme Lingpa and Kangyur Rinpoche today and I found this as the first paragraph in the forward by HHDL:
The view of the Great Perfection (Dzogchen) is difficult and profound.
The main texts that explain it are Longchen Rabjampa's Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle,
which is itself quite difficult, and the Treasury of the Expanse of Reality.
It is my advice that people who are interested in the Nyingma path in general
and the Great Perfection teachings in particular should study Rigdzin Jigme Lingpa' s
more accessible Treasury of Precious Qualities.
Unfortunately, this book only covers the Sutra part of JL's text, and I don't know if they are planning to publish the Tantra part.
According to http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... n_Dz%C3%B6
Nyoshul Khenpo's "A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems" includes a translation of the last three chapters of the Yon Tan Mdzod on Ground, Path and Fruition on pp. 566-89. That is the Dzogchen part of JL's text, but I don't know if the NK book includes any commentary.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
udawa

Post by udawa »

dzogchungpa wrote:Thanks for the input everybody. I happened to look at the Padmakara group's "Treasury of Precious Qualities" by Jigme Lingpa and Kangyur Rinpoche today and I found this as the first paragraph in the forward by HHDL:
The main texts that explain it are Longchen Rabjampa's Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle,
and the Great Perfection teachings in particular should study Rigdzin Jigme Lingpa' s
Unfortunately, this book only covers the Sutra part of JL's text, and I don't know if they are planning to publish the Tantra part.
Nyoshul Khenpo's "A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems" includes a translation of the last three chapters of the Yon Tan Mdzod on Ground, Path and Fruition on pp. 566-89. That is the Dzogchen part of JL's text, but I don't know if the NK book includes any commentary.
The second volume is due out next year, and it is subtitled 'Vajrayana and the Great Perfection'
http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24911

Forthcoming due April 2013. The long awaited second volume of commentary by Kangyur Rinpoche, Longchen Yeshe Dorje, on Jigme Lingpa's root text. This well-known original work presents the entire Buddhist path according to the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. Jigme Lingpa`s Treasury of Precious Qualities is regarded as the summary and quintessence of Longchenpa`s Seven Treasures. It is pithy and concise, makes use of elaborate poetic language, and is often presented as a concluding summary, indeed a crowning masterpiece, to the long, traditional course of studies in both sutras and tantras.

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Greg

Post by Greg »

dzogchungpa wrote:It's just that often when reading Dzogchen discussions I feel like I am missing some basic information,
and I was wondering if there was some systematic presentation I could consult.
There are also various things you can read if you want an academic text-critical/historical perspective.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:stirthepot:
All great posts from the heart, with lots of good words about Dzogchen sources.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 97#p130297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some great words about Dzogchen, but you have to wade through the academia: it's worth it.

Also,

http://www.amazon.com/As-Vol-Tulku-Urgy ... s=as+it+is" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/9627341398/ref ... _ti_sims_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Crystal and the Way of Light, by ChNNR is my favorite overview of Dzogchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Way-Light ... y+of+light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good reading.

ob
heart

Post by heart »

udawa wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Thanks for the input everybody. I happened to look at the Padmakara group's "Treasury of Precious Qualities" by Jigme Lingpa and Kangyur Rinpoche today and I found this as the first paragraph in the forward by HHDL:
The second volume is due out next year, and it is subtitled 'Vajrayana and the Great Perfection'
http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24911

Forthcoming due April 2013. The long awaited second volume of commentary by Kangyur Rinpoche, Longchen Yeshe Dorje, on Jigme Lingpa's root text. This well-known original work presents the entire Buddhist path according to the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. Jigme Lingpa`s Treasury of Precious Qualities is regarded as the summary and quintessence of Longchenpa`s Seven Treasures. It is pithy and concise, makes use of elaborate poetic language, and is often presented as a concluding summary, indeed a crowning masterpiece, to the long, traditional course of studies in both sutras and tantras.

D
That is great news!

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Yeshe Lama

or

The Excellent Chariot
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

There is also the Lam Rim Yeshe Nyingpo, translated as Light of Wisdom vols. 1 - 4
The Spacious Path to Freedom by Karma Chagme
Naked Awareness by Karme Chagme
all available over-the-counter.

The current best translation of the Yeshe Lama of Jigme Lingpa (Light of Berostana) is restricted, as is the Neluk Rangjyung of Dudjom Lingpa (poorly translated edition: Vajra Heart.)

But every major cycle (such as the Nam Chak Putri, the Khandro Thukthig, the Throma Nagmo in the Dudjom Tersar) has a complete creation and completion stage--you merely need to be actually practicing under a wisdom guru who holds the appropriate lineage to receive the parts that are appropriate for you.

A good lama will go through the text line-by-line with you, clarifying the subtleties that are present in the Tibetan that are lost in translation. The language of Dzogchen is so beautiful, poetic and technical at the same time.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Yudron wrote:There is also the Lam Rim Yeshe Nyingpo, translated as Light of Wisdom vols. 1 - 4
Nah, the good stuff isn't. :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote:
Yudron wrote:There is also the Lam Rim Yeshe Nyingpo, translated as Light of Wisdom vols. 1 - 4
Also it is actually volume 1 - 5 and volume 3 and 5 are not published yet and as Pero says volume 4 is restricted.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:
Pero wrote:
Also it is actually volume 1 - 5 and volume 3 and 5 are not published yet and as Pero says volume 4 is restricted.

/magnus
Yeah though it can be found on the web....
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote:[
I assume you mean volume 4, right?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I didn't know there was a vol. five coming, and I had forgotten there was no three. My goodness, that translation project is taking a long time! You can find Vol. 4 here and there.
heart

Post by heart »

Yudron wrote:I didn't know there was a vol. five coming, and I had forgotten there was no three. My goodness, that translation project is taking a long time! You can find Vol. 4 here and there.
Yeah, I think a divorce might have something to do with it. Anyway, I pray that all the parts will be published.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

dzogchungpa wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:
Are you referring to "Bonpo Dzogchen Teachings"?
I like "Heart Drops of Dharmakaya," and "Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyu Studies" (which is a four volume set). These really get at the heart of the matter. Reynolds' translations in "The Practice of Dzogchen in the Zhang Zhung Tradition of Tibet," includes descriptions of Yangti.
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:
Pero wrote:[
I assume you mean volume 4, right?

/magnus
Yup. Didn't I read somewhere that volume 3 won't be published because of the practices related to the 3rd empowerment? I guess I could be mixing it up with something else.
What divorce are you talking about?
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”