The Vajra Guru Mantra of Guru Rinpoche

username

Re: The Vajra Guru Mantra of Guru Rinpoche

Post by username »

http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teac ... lnpryr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

Is it okay, to pronounce the Vajra in the mantra, as well 'Vajra' or does it have to be 'Benza'`?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

AlexanderS wrote:Is it okay, to pronounce the Vajra in the mantra, as well 'Vajra' or does it have to be 'Benza'`?
If you wanna say Vajra then you gotta say Padma instaed of Pema too. Tibetan vs Sanskrit pronunciation.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

gregkavarnos wrote:
AlexanderS wrote:Is it okay, to pronounce the Vajra in the mantra, as well 'Vajra' or does it have to be 'Benza'`?
If you wanna say Vajra then you gotta say Padma instaed of Pema too. Tibetan vs Sanskrit pronunciation.
Actually, I have one teacher who says "Vajra Guru Pema" and another one who says "Benza Guru Padma." One lama told me, just say it how you like, or how it comes out.
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

Is there anywhere online one can buy a handheld prayer wheel with the vajra guru mantra? I only found one and it massively expensive, 295£.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Well for thirty bucks or so you could get a simple wheel, and then write out mantras and stuff it yourself. A some point you might want to check with a lama to see if things are all correctly done, but I don't think you could go far wrong with a practice as dedicated as this.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

catmoon wrote:Well for thirty bucks or so you could get a simple wheel, and then write out mantras and stuff it yourself. A some point you might want to check with a lama to see if things are all correctly done, but I don't think you could go far wrong with a practice as dedicated as this.
That's what I did with my mani wheel, now it has the vajra guru mantra and the om mani mantra in it.
:woohoo:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Since we're on the subject of hand-held prayer wheels, I thought I'd mention that Gyatrul Rinpoche had a bunch of hand-held prayer wheels containing the Stainless Confession tantra made up a while back. This tantra contains outer, inner, secret, and innermost secret levels of confessions and its importance for practitioners today was foretold by Guru Padmasambhava. You all may know its fourth chapter, The Inexpressible Absolute Confession. The prayer wheel casings were also gathered up and blessed by the late HH Jigme Phuntsog Rinpoche.

Anyhow, I dunno for sure but Vimalatreasures.org may still have some left. They're not shown on the website, but so much that's in the actual store (at Tashi Choling) is not on the website. So maybe an email inquiry could pay off for one who's interested. If Vimala doesn't have any left, Orgyen Dorje Den may still have some (orgyendorjeden.org). They were a little spendy at $108 but when you consider their inconceivable usefulness and power-I use mine all the time, particularly when doing the Vajrasattva part of ngondro. Also, they're made very well so they spin like a dream and are very nice looking as well. Anyway, just a heads up.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I also found a video on making a very inexpensive (and grotty) prayer wheel from an Altoids tin and a replacement garage door roller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qBZgZnNIzA
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Don't ask me why I read the comments below that video, Catmoon, but I was tickled by that one person's question: "Does that mean they're now 'curiously strong" prayers?" :twothumbsup:
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
simhamuka

Post by simhamuka »

Malcolm wrote: The mani is a dharani, so here is a sutra system for chanting it. Arapacana is also from sutra.
Ah. So it's okay I gave my S.O. the mani mantra. I tried to get him to receive it from the Karmapa, but he refused. But he did recite it all the time. One time asked me if it was okay if he could say it for himself (mostly he did the mantra for others).
The tantras you are mentioning are so called "kalpa" tantras, sections of sutra that are also classfied as kriya tantra, so again, no contradiction.

Visualizing in the space in front, the same reason Green Tara practice as an outer tantra can be done by any and all.
Most of the mantras that Chinese people are chanting are from sutra or dharani texts. Many of these were also translated from Chinese into Tibetan.
That's interesting. Under Songtsen Gampo? Or later?
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

In Vajrayna the correct mantra (Guru Rinpoche) is: Om Ah Hung Benza Guru Pedma Sidji Hung
Above mantra given by Sherab Yaltzan....
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

IMO, "the correct way" to say the Vajra Guru mantra is the way your Teacher taught you. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
lobster

Post by lobster »

Guru Rinpoche is the longest mantra I know.
The visualisation is quite straight forward. I have full confidence in the practice.

I did it this morning with migtsema and cundi practice.

I was amused that a well meaning law abiding Buddhist advised me not to mention my practice. :rules:
Well guess what, Guru Rinpoche he say, 'practice to the best of your ability'. :thumbsup:

You are Guru Rinpoche. If not . . . more practice . . . :woohoo:

http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teac ... lnpryr.htm :bow:
muni

Post by muni »

Once a traveller, coming back from the mountains went to sit for a cup of tea. Then sound started to penetrate the place. The traveller started to cry and cry. Others could not understand this reaction, they tried to give comfort, but their friend was full of devotion. After the mantra song and many hot tears, the traveller kneeled down and went to put a candle on and said: I don't know, I am just so happy, so grateful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynSWoeQY ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; With deepest gratitude to all the Precious Masters. :buddha1:

Return to “Nyingma”