YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Download DN, MN and SN for free! - Dhamma Wheel

Download DN, MN and SN for free!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Stiphan

Download DN, MN and SN for free!

Postby Stiphan » Sun May 15, 2011 6:21 pm

http://www.palicanon.org offers free download of the Digha Nikaya (tr. Maurice Walshe), Majjhima Nikaya (Nanamoli/Bodhi), Samyutta Nikaya (Bhikkhu Bodhi).
Last edited by Stiphan on Sat May 21, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

David2

Re: Download DN, MN and SN for free!

Postby David2 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for sharing!

However: Are those legal uploads?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun May 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Sun May 15, 2011 8:55 pm

As nice as this would be it's awfully fishy...

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun May 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Ilegal or not, no one owns the copyright on the words of the Buddha.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:18 pm

I've removed the direct links. Members can register at http://www.palicanon.org to agree to their conditions and download from there.

:anjali:
Mike

pelletboy

Postby pelletboy » Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 am

Are those collections complete DN, MN, and SN or are there some books left out?

MidGe

Postby MidGe » Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am

According to their site:

"Pali Canon Online (PCO) is an online library or archive of the Pali Canon materials. Whileas the materials are provided by end users, PCO verifies their authenticity and accuracy. The establishment of PCO aims to serve the materials used for studying, researching, and teaching. It is not-for-profit and educational in nature.
PCO also fully respects copyright, and will follow the guidances of DMCA for any suspected copyright infringement. However, PCO also fully supports "fair use" of copyrighted materials such that "fair use" of copyrighted materials is protected by law. For more information, please see Terms of Use."

This seems a good enough start.

Metta

Stiphan

Postby Stiphan » Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 pm

alan

Postby alan » Wed May 18, 2011 3:30 am

I agree that the Buddha's words should be free. But, according to this page, I've been using a rug of the wrong size.
Dammit, now I'm going to hell.

alan

Postby alan » Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 am

Ok, that was just a joke. But there are publication copyrights involved. There are good people involved at printing, selling, and distributing BB's work. What would happen to them if everyone downloads their efforts, and they are not compensated?
Free is good. We all like free. But be aware that what to you means "free" to others might mean "we're out of a job".

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed May 18, 2011 11:12 am

I own all three, or well I gave my copy of the DN to the library. I don't have them with me at my flat, they're at home in my book case. I have read somewhere that it's okay to download movies/music if you have already purchased the hard copy (as this is essentially just making a back up for personal use). In this instance do you think I could justify downloading these? Maybe I should just download MN & SN and encourage the library to download DN for themselves. (in jest on the last note)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu May 19, 2011 12:08 am

This is a tough one isn't it. Wisdom say the copyright and associated charges of purchasing their books are necessary in order for them to keep publishing. They emphasize that they're not for profit, and the money you do spend goes back to helping to produce more copies of various Dhamma books (although it must be said a significant proportion of their publications are Mahayana). The point is, Wisdom do a lot of good in helping to propagate the Buddha's message - That's my conviction anyway.

I seem to recall that the spirit of the Buddha's message on this topic was that no man should profit (in terms of money) from the Dhamma. I might be wrong though.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu May 19, 2011 12:50 am

Well said Jack.
I would like to remind all of other governing principles in our dealings with others in the five precepts, and specicially in this scenario, not taking that which is not freely given.
Having had some experience in the publishing industry, I know that in order to bring works to print involves a significant financial investment. Wisdom is a non-profit publisher so the cost of their books represents the cost involved in producing and distributing those works. Pariyatti is another Dhamma-book publisher who operate as a non-profit organisation and they rely on donations and interest-free loans from practitioners as seed capital to publish important works.
The copyright on works such as the SN and MN is a copyright on the translation of the original Pali and the explanatory notes by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Under law, and I contend morally, Wisdom Publications has the exclusive right via copyright to recoup the investment made in bringing those works to print so as they can continue to do their meritorious work.
There are lots of other places where you can download copyright-wavered copies of the MN and SN, in original pali or translated by someone else. If you wish to acquire a copy of the Bhikkhu Bodhi translations and then please do the right thing by purchasing copies - and by doing so supporting Wisdom's efforts in making available Dhamma books to the world. If you cannot afford them, then please for those of you who live in countries with a library system - consider borrowing from your municipal, academic, state or national library. Or you could borrow from a friend.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:03 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:25 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu May 19, 2011 1:35 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”