Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva practice

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Sonrisa

Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva practice

Post by Sonrisa »

Right now, my practice revolves around reciting Guan Yin Bodhisattva and to be reborn in the Western Pureland. Recently, I have found out about Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva and have been filled with joy. I love this Bodhisattva and what he stands for. I have seen animations of the Ksitigarbha Sutra and found it to be inspiring.

Do I have to get special empowerments to venerate Ksitigarbha and recite his name? I just feel a strong calling toward him.

I can still recite Guan Yin along with Ksitigarbha and dedicate merit right?

:namaste:

PS: This website is distributing Ksitigarbha statues. I am tempted to ask for one but I dont know how big it is.
From the Website wrote:The statue is made of brass and stands approximately 8.5 inches (21.5 cm) tall without the staff and 11 inches (28 cm) including the staff.
Is that really big? (sorry, Im not that good at picturing measurements in my head)
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
plwk

Re: Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva practice

Post by plwk »

Do I have to get special empowerments to venerate Ksitigarbha and recite his name?

From what I have read and heard:
If you belong to exoteric Mahayana Traditions or none, nope, although the method of veneration would vary according to respective Mahayana Trads, especially in the East Asian context.
If you belong to a Vajrayana tradition, yes, because of Teacher and Lineage considerations.
Yup, it's been my practice too for years now.

Here's a link:
http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I have benefited greatly from this Dharma Door of reciting His Name and Sutra all these years and have seen and known many cases who have similarly benefited. He is greatly venerated in East Asian Buddhist Traditions, has a mountain shrine dedicated to Him in Anhui Province, China (Jiu Hua Shan - 'Nine Glorious/Flowers Mountains) and reportedly the second most 'beloved' Bodhisattva after Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva for Chinese Mahayana Buddhists, particularly those who belong to the Pure Land Tradition and He normally occupies the place of honour either below/in front of the image of Amitabha Buddha/Three Sages of the West (Amitabha Buddha, Avalokitesvara & Mahastamaprapta Bodhisattvas) or as stand alone surrounded by memorial/ancestral tablets/plaques in the Western Hall of Merits Shrine in a Chinese Mahayana temple. In Chinese Mahayana Buddhist liturgical calendar, He is honoured on the 30th Day (or last day, sometimes ending on the 29th) of the 7th Month, in the Chinese Lunar Calendar or September 7th 2010. His other monthly remembrances are as stated in the Sutra as per the appended link above.

Namo Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva!
Namo Di Zang Pu Sa!
Namu Jizo Bosatsu!
Namu Ji Jang Bosal!
Sonrisa

Post by Sonrisa »

Im just a simple Pure land practitioner. I dont practice anything esoteric. I have ordered a copy of the Ksitigarbha sutra but my friend told me it might get here in two months >_<" Either way, this might EVEN be the first sutra I ever recite.
Namo Amitabha

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Sonrisa wrote: PS: This website is distributing Ksitigarbha statues. I am tempted to ask for one but I dont know how big it is.
Hi Sonrisa -

I have big feet. Both of these are smaller than my foot although the larger one is almost as long as my foot. For many people the smaller one would be about the length of an adult's hand.

However they can both appear gigantic on a shrine. Most of my Buddha statues are pretty small (4-6 inches).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Hello :]

You will not need any special empowerment if you are just doing simple Pure Land practice such as veneration, recitation of Ksitigarbha Names, reciting the sutra or mantra, etc., it is for all. Usually only Vajarayana tradition require empowerment on some practices.

If you go to many Vietnamese Pure Land temple, you will find that Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva are in the main buddha hall along with the Buddha and Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva. Ksitigarbha are very commonly venerated along with the 3 sages of the western pure land in Pure Land school. And yes you can definitely dedicate the merits.

Concerning the statue, for comparison, without staff, the statue would probably be abit shorter than a water bottle, with the staff would be quite tall. But it is an extremely beautiful statue.

I wish you the best :]

Amituofo
Vu :D

Peace in Chan
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Sonrisa wrote:Right now, my practice revolves around reciting Guan Yin Bodhisattva and to be reborn in the Western Pureland. Recently, I have found out about Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva and have been filled with joy. I love this Bodhisattva and what he stands for. I have seen animations of the Ksitigarbha Sutra and found it to be inspiring.

Do I have to get special empowerments to venerate Ksitigarbha and recite his name? I just feel a strong calling toward him.

:namaste:

PS: This website is distributing Ksitigarbha statues. I am tempted to ask for one but I dont know how big it is.
From the Website wrote:The statue is made of brass and stands approximately 8.5 inches (21.5 cm) tall without the staff and 11 inches (28 cm) including the staff.
Is that really big? (sorry, Im not that good at picturing measurements in my head)
I got one of these from Taiwan a couple of years ago, the actual measurements are 7 1/2" tall and the staff goes about 3" higher.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
benchen

Post by benchen »

Here is English translation of Ksitigarbha sutra

http://www.siddham.org/yuan_english/sut ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go to youtube.com , type " ksitigarbha" and you will see a lot of good videos
on this great bodhisattva

After practice for a while , you will dream of him and he will give you advice
in your dreams

Or when you have doubts about certain things, you will send someone to answer your doubts.

The above 2 ways are regularly used by him to help his followers.

But he does not always give what you want , sometimes he postpones his help to you, let you go through hardships so you will learn and practice dharma harder.

He likes his followers to make a lot of vows to practice the dharma , promote the
dharma and helping out at the monastery.

He is also called "Great Vows Bodhisattva "
Sonrisa

Post by Sonrisa »

Hi Benchen!

Thank you for the link. I have seen the Ksitigarbha videos on youtube and I love them. They are really inspirational too!
Namo Amitabha

Devotee

Post by Devotee »

in fact, in the Sutra, Guan Yin Bodhisattva herself praises Ksitiagrbha. They're portrayed as Shakyamuni Buddha's entourage.

it is perfectly compatible. you could choose a regular practice from the two, and use the other as a supplement (Guan Yin everyday and Ksitigarbha on weekends or vice versa, for example.)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

plwk wrote:
Do I have to get special empowerments to venerate Ksitigarbha and recite his name?

If you belong to a Vajrayana tradition, yes, because of Teacher and Lineage considerations.
Only if the practice is uncommon itself (only if the practice itself does require empowerment). Otherwise one can also just recite sutra or common name mantra like in common Mahayana.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Day at the Land of Medicine Buddha, Sat Sept 4th
Ksitigarbha_gold_web.jpg
Ksitigarbha_gold_web.jpg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Also a recitation session starting Sep. 5 at City of 10000 Buddhas, near Ukiah, California.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Sonrisa

Post by Sonrisa »

Awwwww, I wish I could attend! Sadly, I live nowhere near those areas. Oh well, I can always recite at home :smile:
Namo Amitabha

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”