Departure

Simon E.

Re: Departure

Post by Simon E. »

" Power " is not the point. Malcolms departure and the individuals response to it is the point.
Incidentally I never said that I was " leaving" the forum ...melodramatically or otherwise.
The element of " melodrama " was introduced by someone too immature to be holding the role he holds on the forum. I said I had nothing to contribute to its debates.
Now perhaps you could address the issue at hand rather than displacing your feelings. :smile:
Last edited by Simon E. on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Sally Gross

Post by Sally Gross »

Malcolm wrote:Dear Friends:

The time has come for me to bid adieu to this particular forum.

You know how to find me via my blog, http://www.atikosha.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I will not be checking back in so there is no point in replying this post.

Malcolm
What can I say? I hope that Malcolm revisits his decision and returns to the forum.
Dukkham eva hi, na koci dukkhito,
kaarako na, kiriyaa va vijjati,
atthi nibbuti, na nibbuto pumaa,
maggam atthi, gamako na vijjati

Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer,
no doer, though certainly the deed is found.
peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased,
the way is walked, but no walker's to be found.

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Simon E. wrote:" Power " is not the point. Malcolms departure and the individuals response to it is the point.
Incidentally I never said that I was " leaving" the forum ...melodramatically or otherwise.
The element of " melodrama " was introduced by someone too immature to be holding the role he holds on the forum. I said I had nothing to contribute to its debates.
Now perhaps you could address the issue at hand rather than displacing your feelings. :smile:
Simon E Thu 14th June 2012
Good will to all of good will.
Any contact I have in future with this forum will be of a " read only " kind.
Not to mention your 'On needing a shower after logging on' and 'After the Shower' threads, which IMO were melodramatic. If those were your true feelings.... just don't post, simple.
s.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Simon E. wrote: The degree of homophobia, folk belief, faux asiatic life style imitation, sheer unpleasantness, rampant egoism disguised as spirituality, sheer credulity, and new age wooliness, the willful and fearful embracing of a pre-Age Of Enlightenment cosmology that dislocates the holder of such views from their present reality, and other elements that characterises much of the forum input made it inevitable.
This forum ain't that bad.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Malcolm,

We've had our run-ins in the past (and present :tongue: ) but you know that I have a vast quanitity of respect for your knowledge. I melodramatically announced my departure a while back, but habits are hard to break. It helped me to leave for a while and review the "why's" regarding staying and/or leaving. Some time off from here will definitely be of benefit to you (and some of the individuals here that have set themselves up as your arch-enemies).

Hope to see you here again in the future.
:namaste:
Greg
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
emaho

Post by emaho »

Huseng wrote:
Simon E. wrote: The degree of homophobia, folk belief, faux asiatic life style imitation, sheer unpleasantness, rampant egoism disguised as spirituality, sheer credulity, and new age wooliness, the willful and fearful embracing of a pre-Age Of Enlightenment cosmology that dislocates the holder of such views from their present reality, and other elements that characterises much of the forum input made it inevitable.
This forum ain't that bad.
There is definitely something going wrong here. The moderators tolerate much too much aggression, brainwash attacks and other BS. I'm about to "leave" for similar reasons. I will not (yet) leave completely, but withdraw myself and reduce my activity here to an absolute minimum. For me this is an ongoing process that started shortly after I joined. My ignore-list is getting longer and longer, and my motivation to participate in discussions is getting less and less.

When I found this forum, I naively believed, this was E-Sangha 2.0. But it isn't. Which is why I'm not asking Malcolm to come back. This is just simply not the right place for people who are interested in rational and brainwash-free discussions.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
udawa

Post by udawa »

I miss that other really knowledgeable bloke who used to post here - you know the one I mean, who was always defending traditional Buddhadharma; what was his name.... Namdrol, that's it! :smile:

But yes, it's sad that Malcolm has moved on. No doubt he will reappear at some point. Look forward to it.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:This is just simply not the right place for people who are interested in rational and brainwash-free discussions.
When one person tries to inform another, it may be perceived of as brainwashing. When one person persists in being rational, another may perceive them as being dogged.

Go figure.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Go well, old friend.

I know that you did not derive nearly as much from this forum as we did from your presence.

Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote: There is definitely something going wrong here. The moderators tolerate much too much aggression, brainwash attacks and other BS.
Dude, we all have lives off this forum. You know ... working full-time? Families? Practice?

We can't police every single post by every member.

We're all adults here and leave it up to members to discuss things. Unless it becomes an issue or someone is clearly being antagonistic and belligerent we're not going to step in whenever people start disagreeing. We're all responsible for what we write.
I'm about to "leave" for similar reasons. I will not (yet) leave completely, but withdraw myself and reduce my activity here to an absolute minimum. For me this is an ongoing process that started shortly after I joined. My ignore-list is getting longer and longer, and my motivation to participate in discussions is getting less and less.
This is a free service. You don't pay anything to use it.
When I found this forum, I naively believed, this was E-Sangha 2.0. But it isn't. Which is why I'm not asking Malcolm to come back. This is just simply not the right place for people who are interested in rational and brainwash-free discussions.
How is it that you get brainwashed on an internet forum with diverse opinions?
emaho

Post by emaho »

Huseng wrote:How is it that you get brainwashed on an internet forum with diverse opinions?
I don't. It's just not possible to have a rational discussion around here without getting interrupted all the time.

You know, what I really found interesting the other day was that when you were attacked for asking a perfectly harmless question by somebody who tried to intimidate you that you would go to hell for such "slander" you told the person to stop because otherwise you would treat his behaviour as trolling:
Huseng wrote:
Metallica wrote:I am just wondering why isn't anyone on here saying anything to Huseng? There must be a single good Dharma Friend that he trust that can notify him of the dangerous state of mind he is in? It's not the first time someone who only focuses on knowledge and philsophy who has turned onto the path of slandering the Dharma.
Perhaps you might point out where I have been purportedly slandering the Dharma. If you do not, this constitutes baseless slander against me and will be understood as trolling.

(http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p127990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Which is exactly the right reaction to this type of brainwash attack. What I am asking for is that you moderators also intervene in such cases when somebody other than you is the target.

And this has nothing to do with being understaffed, it's a matter of general policy.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote: You know, what I really found interesting the other day was that when you were attacked for asking a perfectly harmless question by somebody who tried to intimidate you that you would go to hell for such "slander" you told the person to stop because otherwise you would treat his behaviour as trolling:
This is simply a free user-driven internet forum with loose rules and guidelines in place so things don't get overly volatile.

As I said not every post can be policed.

If you're so unhappy nobody is forcing you to stay here.
emaho

Post by emaho »

Huseng wrote:If you're so unhappy nobody is forcing you to stay here.
Exactly. People who are interested in brainwash-free and BS-free discussions are wrong in this place. That's what I'm saying. You, however, are obviously right here.
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

E-sangha 2.0 (in the latter stage) would be awful ! Huseng's response in that other thread actually showed maturity, I thought.
floating_abu

Post by floating_abu »

Huseng wrote:
ReasonAndRhyme wrote: Dude, we all have lives off this forum. You know ... working full-time? Families? Practice?

We can't police every single post by every member.

We're all adults here and leave it up to members to discuss things. Unless it becomes an issue or someone is clearly being antagonistic and belligerent we're not going to step in whenever people start disagreeing. We're all responsible for what we write.
I have not been here for a long time, but if this is really the ethos of the forum, it sounds much more mature and healthy than many other Buddhist forums who mistake purity to be the right standard.

E-sangha was great! - but before the last takeover - and then it sunk because it was becoming dogmatic and ridiculous and what a waste of such a great meeting place and so many diverse viewpoints, discussions and fantastic members at the time all together! Nothing has ever come close to that again for me at least - nor do I believe that exists again. Thanks for your efforts and services here.

Abu
Last edited by floating_abu on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Huseng wrote:If you're so unhappy nobody is forcing you to stay here.
Exactly. People who are interested in brainwash-free and BS-free discussions are wrong in this place. That's what I'm saying. You, however, are obviously right here.
I'm quite pleased with this forum.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

The team are criticized whether they under moderate, over moderate and everything in between. It is not possible to please everyone all the time. No one is forced to come here. If you don't like this forum and the way it is run then rather than derailing threads with complaints get in touch with an administrator or if you don't want to do that then get in touch with the owner.

As this thread is now off-topic it seems a good place to lock it.

Regards,

Return to “Dzogchen”