YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

a few wise words please - Dhamma Wheel

a few wise words please

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
sattva

a few wise words please

Postby sattva » Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 pm

For reasons that would be too long to explain, i am very upset and anxious about something. Besides the obvious idea of sitting (done that already), what words might you offer to help. :anjali:

Justsit

Re: a few wise words please

Postby Justsit » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Six Words of Advice from Tilopa

Don't recall. (Let go of what has passed)
Don't imagine. (Let go of what may come)
Don't think. (Let go of what is happening now)
Don't examine. (Don't try to figure anything out)
Don't control. (Don't try to make anything happen)
Rest. (Relax, right now, and rest)

:bow:

ricketybridge

Postby ricketybridge » Wed May 11, 2011 10:24 pm

These helped me a bunch just now (being upset myself):

When a person lives heedlessly, his craving grows like a creeping vine. He runs now here & now there, as if looking for fruit: a monkey in the forest.

If this sticky, uncouth craving overcomes you in the world, your sorrows grow like wild grass after rain. If, in the world, you overcome this uncouth craving, hard to escape, sorrows roll off you, like water beads off a lotus.

If its root remains undamaged & strong, a tree, even if cut, will grow back. So too if latent craving is not rooted out, this suffering returns again & again.

Encircled with craving, people hop round & around like a rabbit caught in a snare. Tied with fetters & bonds they go on to suffering, again & again, for long. So a monk should dispel craving, should aspire to dispassion for himself.

Cleared of the underbrush but obsessed with the forest, set free from the forest, right back to the forest he runs. Come, see the person set free who runs right back to the same old chains!

That's not a strong bond — so say the enlightened — the one made of iron, of wood, or of grass. To be smitten, enthralled, with jewels & ornaments, longing for children & wives: that's the strong bond, — so say the enlightened — one that's constraining, elastic, hard to untie. But having cut it, they — the enlightened — go forth, free of longing, abandoning sensual ease.

Those smitten with passion fall back into a self-made stream, like a spider snared in its web. But, having cut it, the enlightened set forth, free of longing, abandoning all suffering & stress.

For a person forced on by his thinking, fierce in his passion, focused on beauty, craving grows all the more. He's the one who tightens the bond. But one who delights in the stilling of thinking, always mindful cultivating a focus on the foul: He's the one who will make an end, the one who will cut Mara's bond.

ricketybridge

Postby ricketybridge » Wed May 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed May 11, 2011 11:41 pm

This, too, will pass.

It's the simplest reminder of impermanence I've ever come across.
We can say it when we're down, and it helps us see the light at the end of the tunnel; we can say it when we're up, and it will help us cope with the 'down' which must eventually follow it.

:namaste:
Kim

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 am

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Fede

Postby Fede » Thu May 12, 2011 2:14 pm

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

sattva

Postby sattva » Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I have used the "this too (i usually say shall instead of will, not sure why) will pass" phrase before, Kim. It is a great phrase to remember! Fede, i found your point very helpful. All in all, i went outside and listened to birds singing and enjoyed the flowers blooming and felt much better!!! Just sharing my feelings with all of you and receiving your replies was so helpful. Thanks again :anjali:

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Didn't the phrase "this too will pass" come from a story about a young king who was getting depressed when things didn't go well and gave feasts when it did? Instead to make him realize that good and bad times aren't permanent the ministers gave him a ring with that text, so he would always be reminded of this fact. He wouldn't get depressed and instead of feasting he wisely used the good times to make the kingdom prosperous.

I heard it in one of Ajahn Brahm's talks once.

Return to “Lounge”