Can I only use a Zen Buddha/Bodhisattva statue?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Can I only use a Zen Buddha/Bodhisattva statue?

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm new to Buddhism and have to admit I know very little about the more complicated aspects of it.Anyway,I want to make a small Buddhist altar and place a Buddha or Bodhisattva statue there.However,should I only use Buddha or Bodhisattvas that are in the Zen sect?I believe that all sects of Buddhism lead to enlightenment(if they follow the core teachings of Buddhism like the Noble Eightfold Path and Not-Self.)and believe in respecting and revering all Buddhas and Bodhisattva regardless of their sect,school,etc.However,I do not wish to offend them.Should I only use a Zen statue?
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Re: Can I only use a Zen Buddha/Bodhisattva statue?

Postby Seishin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I can't speak for Zen but in our Tendai sangha we have Yakushi Nyorai enshrined and Amida Butsu on the wall. It is quite common. :smile:

Gassho,
seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Red Faced Buddha wrote:.Anyway,I want to make a small Buddhist altar and place a Buddha or Bodhisattva statue there.However,should I only use Buddha or Bodhisattvas that are in the Zen sect? ... Should I only use a Zen statue?

No. Whatever style of Buddha or Bodhisattva inspires you or attracts you.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby lobster » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 pm

At the moment I have no statues to venerate. I have to use Ipad images . . .
Originally as the Buddha requested, no statues of him existed.

As you practice you will find the Buddha lives in and through you.
A statue is very beneficial.

Your respect is a good sign. I wish you every success in finding the right inpiration. :namaste:

OM YA HA HUM
lobster

Postby Astus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Zen as a school within Mahayana is not bound to any particular buddha. So, there is no such thing as a "Zen buddha".
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby catmoon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 am

I had a nun over for lunch one day and I was fretting over my Amitabha stone Buddha, which did not fit well with my sect. I mentioned that i was worried about having the wrong Buddha. The nun laughed and said

"Wrong buddha? WRONG BUDDHA? How can you have a wrong Buddha??"
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby tomamundsen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 am

catmoon wrote:I had a nun over for lunch one day and I was fretting over my Amitabha stone Buddha, which did not fit well with my sect. I mentioned that i was worried about having the wrong Buddha. The nun laughed and said

"Wrong buddha? WRONG BUDDHA? How can you have a wrong Buddha??"

Hehe that's funny! You have to admit, though. The idea of a sectarian Buddha is quite silly!
tomamundsen

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:12 am

Thanks for the answers,guys.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Return to Exploring Buddhism