Finding a way to begin..

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
hefalump

Finding a way to begin..

Post by hefalump »

Hello everyone,

Over the last few months I have been meditating every day using Audio Dharma online guided meditations and developing my knowledge of Buddhism using their (and other) online teachings. I am now at a point where I feel that I would like to go further and join a meditation group and ask for instruction and advice there but have no idea where to begin.

I live in London and there are loads of Buddhist groups here all practising different branches that I have looked into online, but I don't really know how to choose between them and what is best for me (I am fairly new to Buddhism). Head starts spinning after a while on the internet! Is there any advice anyone here could give..? Should I maybe spend a little time at one of these centers in their classes and see how I go? I just want to make sure that I start down a good path to development, as the journey will be a long one and I will need support and advice, particularly in the early stages. I was going to start at one of the Triratna Order centers here, but I read a few articles about the order that confused me and now I don't know what to do. Maybe this is a case of too much research and I'm over analysing everything. I know these choices must ultimately come from me, but I would greatly appreciate any advice from those more experienced...x
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Finding a way to begin..

Post by Seishin »

Definitely go to different places and see how things go. I went to several before staying in one spot. :)

Gassho,
Seishin.
hefalump

Post by hefalump »

Thank you, Seishin, I think I'll do that. It feels like quite a sensitive time, entering into a group practice and choosing an initial path. I sometimes feel like a big sponge, absorbing everything! ;)
udawa

Post by udawa »

Seishin wrote:Definitely go to different places and see how things go. I went to several before staying in one spot. :)

Gassho,
Seishin.
Second that. There's a lot of Buddhism in London. Take your time, and visit a few different places, sample the odd class. Ask questions of the teachers and if you don't like the answers you get, try somewhere else. Chances are, you will recognise what you're looking for once you find it.

Good luck!
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Yes, the first tentative steps are always the hardest, but the most exciting. :tongue: Just remember to leave your expectations at the door with your shoes! :twothumbsup:

Gassho,
Seishin
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Most groups will have a beginner's class or something to that effect. Maybe even a bazaar or fund raiser you can attend.

If you want to make friends quick just ask what kind of volunteer opportunities they have and jump in.
justsit

Post by justsit »

You may also want to avoid certain controversial teachers/organizations - some listed here. Do your research and judge for yourself.
hefalump

Post by hefalump »

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I will try a few places to get a feel for them and pay attention to the ethics and core teachings of each organisation. One of the organisations I have been interested in was on that list, justsit, I don't know if they have changed since their guru retired and they changed their name. I will look more into this. I hope to find a place that is right for me..x
lobster

Post by lobster »

start at the beginning . . . variety of groups meet here, advice available, quiet library, Christmas Humphrey's house . . .
http://www.thebuddhistsociety.org/
Can email for advice . . .

You must visit
http://www.buddhapadipa.org/temple/

other than that follow the yellow brick rd and rainbows :applause:

may all be auspicious
let us know your adventures :thumbsup:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”