Clear Light Mind

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jenue

Clear Light Mind

Post by Jenue »

what is the Clear Light Mind exactly?
I am familiar with the conceptual definition of it being most subtle level of mind that appears during death, sleep and (if some sources are right) orgasm. But is Clear Light the same consciousness as Rigpa? In dzogchen practices there is an emphasis on being aware of the moment but on the other hand Clear Light sounds to me as some sort of samadhi/ absorption state.

:shrug:
heart

Re: Clear Light Mind

Post by heart »

Jenue wrote:what is the Clear Light Mind exactly?
I am familiar with the conceptual definition of it being most subtle level of mind that appears during death, sleep and (if some sources are right) orgasm. But is Clear Light the same consciousness as Rigpa? In dzogchen practices there is an emphasis on being aware of the moment but on the other hand Clear Light sounds to me as some sort of samadhi/ absorption state.

rtog med rang gsal - Nonconceptual self-cognizance. The basic state of mind that is pointed out by the root guru; free from thoughts and yet naturally cognizing whatever is present [RY]

http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/rtog_med_rang_gsal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is actually a very good question to your Guru if you have a few minutes alone with him/her.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Clear light doesn't appear just close to death.

It appears at all times, even now.

The difficulty is how do you recognize that in the present moment?

And this is the major aim for direct teaching, such as Zen, Mahamudra, and Dzogchen trying to help us to recognize it at the present time.

Padmashambava actually said in a few of his teachings that some people will achieve enlightenment at the bardo of death, and some will be in the bardo of living. And this one actually related with the recognition of clear light whether now or at the death moment.

I actually do not prefer the definition of subtler mind, it gives a sense as if this clear light is something very very hidden and so tiny.

I prefer Mahamudra term - ordinary mind.

A mind that knows no mind and no clear light.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
muni

Post by muni »

I have no idea. How can I, I am only fixated concept. :shrug:
Still it should be possible to see Clear Light, but no one who sees it and no one produced or created or fabricated it.
I cannot see it, since when I am, it is hidden.

The precious masters, never leaving all encompassing intrinsic awareness (choose term) can guide us.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Clear Light Mind, od sgal, is rigpa.
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

muni wrote:

Still it should be possible to see Clear Light, but no one who sees it and no one produced or created or fabricated it.

The precious masters, never leaving all encompassing intrinsic awareness (choose term) can guide us.
Poor Muni. Always juggling.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
muni

Post by muni »

Andrew108 wrote:
muni wrote:

Juggling by concepts cannot recognize. Clear Light, Rigpa, Nondual Awareness, Brightfull Sky, whatever concepts...then the meaning of the many descriptions about, remains untapped.

It is "I" or conditioned intellect.

Recognition can be possible by deep devotion into boundless compassion. Emaho!
:anjali:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
muni

Post by muni »

Some info. :smile:

Here: http://www.dreamyoga.com/tibetan-dream- ... lear-light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://illuminations2012.wordpress.com/ ... h-summary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxpPflfLJKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
muni

Post by muni »

Andrew108 wrote:[]
You must be clearvoyant! Since when small, i used to play so :juggling: . But by lack of balls, I used stones, got once one on my head. And now you see the results. :tongue:

:namaste:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”