Seeing The Dalai Lama Speak: Questions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Padme

Seeing The Dalai Lama Speak: Questions

Post by Padme »

Please forgive me if this isn't the proper area for this question, I looked around and wasn't sure the proper place to post.

I am thrilled to have purchased a ticket to see the Dalai Lama speak in Boston in a couple weeks. I've never seen him in person (at a live event) before, and I have a couple basic questions for anyone who has been to see him speak. Please forgive my ignorance in the simplicity of these questions, I just want to be as respectful as possible at this event.

1.) Is there any particular, proper attire? Business? Dressy casual? Is there anything considered offensive, jewelry, etc that I should be aware of when I choose what to wear?

2) I don't know if anyone can answer this, but I am wondering if taking photos (at an appropriate time) is allowed. I asked the venue person, and she said no "recording devices" but wasn't sure about regular cameras. She said I could bring it and that I may or may not be told to not use it.

3.) Does the Dalai Lama ever meet people (attendees) after these events? Is there a chance I could meet him, and if so, what is proper protocol should I get the chance? Bow with no eye contact, do I touch him or not, I've read about white or red scarf offerings, etc. Is this only if you see him in India or do these personal meetings ever take place at speakings in the US? This is not a particularly large venue and I have premium seats, so I will be quite close. If I did get the opportunity to meet him, is it disrespectful or rude to ask that my picture be taken with him or is that a no-no? I highly doubt I will have this chance, I suspect he will be ushered out immediately after speaking, but JUST IN CASE, proper protocol/etiquette would be good to know.

I am SO excited about being able to hear him speak in person, I've been wanting to see him for a good 20 years now. Thanks in advance for any advice.
lobster

Re: Seeing The Dalai Lama Speak: Questions

Post by lobster »

You have two weeks to find answers here . . .
http://dalailamaboston2012.com/c5/welcome

OM MANI PEME HUNG
Padme

Post by Padme »

Yes, that's the event website where I found the event and ordered tickets. But I didn't see any of the answers to my questions there and the contact person on that site that I called and asked didn't know. Is there something I'm missing on the site that answers my questions?

Thanks.
lobster

Post by lobster »

is a personal visit feasible? :namaste:
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

You wear what you feel comfortable in, so long as it's tasteful (ie no short shorts, low cut tops, bikini etc). Bring your camera, as photos are usually allowed at the beginning and/or end, but it depends on the occasion, the venue and organisers. You should be told on the day.
AS for meeting him, it depends again on the occasion, the venue, the organisers and whether he has time to. If the occasion arises, do as others do. :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin.
ratna

Post by ratna »

Bring tissues, tears might start flowing.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Dress however you think is respectful. You'll have to check and see if cameras are permitted (usually they are) but there won't be a photo posing opportunity except when HH enters the venue provided that you have a good line of sight. Does HHDL ever meet anyone afterwards? Rarely and not actually individually. He hasn't really done that in a while.

Best wishes.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Padme

Post by Padme »

Thank you all.

Lobster, as I said in my original post, I highly doubt I'll have the chance to meet him, but I certainly want to be prepared and know what to do if the occasion should arise, so I thought I'd ask in case others have seen him and had the chance to meet him. One can hope, but I'm not counting on it.

Seishin, you gave me a giggle with the "no short shorts, bikini tops" comment. I don't wear those things to the beach, never mind to see the Dalai Lama, LOL! I imagine whatever I choose will be appropriate, I just didn't know if there were any specific no-no's, things that were bad etiquette (other than bikini tops, ha ha, can you imagine???)

Thanks for the input, I will ask about photos when I arrive and take the advice of Seishin who said "do as others do". Seems reasonable enough.

I am so thrilled to be able to see him speak. This has been on my bucket list for a couple decades now, I'm just tickled pink. :applause:
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

If you have Facebook, you might try asking your questions of the MIT organization hosting the event: https://www.facebook.com/DLCMIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congratulations on your good fortune, may it benefit all beings.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Unless you are a VIP, your chances of meeting the Dalai Lama at public event are similar to meeting Mick Jagger at a Rolling Stones concert.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Padme wrote:I am so thrilled to be able to see him speak. This has been on my bucket list for a couple decades now, I'm just tickled pink. :applause:
eh ma ho - how wonderful

What I am getting at is you are more likely to meet the dalai lama in person at any meetings/iniatations at the center . . .
:thumbsup:
as for pics - whatever the situation it is OK to take pics of people, Buddhas, HH, dakinis in bikinis and lobsters being boiled alive for the sake of all hungry ghosts . . . do not be bullied by the sangha police or vajra daka . . . :hug:

Bring a sack of white khata in flower petals and hand them out to everyone who looks most Dalai . . .
There is a way of doing this, check youtube :bow:

let us know how you get on
start chanting now, for a brighter tickle . . .
OM MANI PEME HUNG

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”