YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Osama bin Laden is dead - Page 5 - Dhamma Wheel

Osama bin Laden is dead

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

plwk

Postby plwk » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 am

The OP's title was a glitch... it should be 'Obama bin Laden is dead' :lol:

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 am

Last edited by Alex123 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am

Greetings Alex,

It sounds like you have an interest in them, and an aptitude in crafting speculative explanations of kamma and its fruition that are well beyond the range of your direct knowledge. It seems then as if you satisfy the necessary criteria for authoring such tales.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue May 03, 2011 2:09 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

ground

Postby ground » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 am

Last edited by ground on Tue May 03, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 03, 2011 2:38 am

ground

Postby ground » Tue May 03, 2011 2:40 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 am

ground

Postby ground » Tue May 03, 2011 3:16 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 03, 2011 3:42 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue May 03, 2011 3:45 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue May 03, 2011 3:47 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue May 03, 2011 4:03 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 am

CMA = A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma: the Abhidhammatthasangaha of Acariya Anuruddha
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue May 03, 2011 4:11 am

alan

Postby alan » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 am

Thought I'd just go and apologize for saying dumb things last night. But then I read through the thread. Turns out, even dumber things have been said.
Alex: I'm sending metta to you. But I don't think it will improve your understanding.
Rahula: there is no way to prove that we have all been killers, and every reason to believe it is not true.
I had expected a greater argument. When is it good, if ever, to wish ill will on someone? But that hasn't happened. So I'll start it.
OBL is not a "person" to most Americans. (Interesting to note that most of those who claim holy positions have not experienced the horror and destruction first hand)--he is a symbol.
What kind of symbol? One of helpless terror. Of fear. Of uncertainty, a pain that seeps into everyday life and shapes it for the worse. He's there when I take off my shoes at the airport, He's responsible when my contact lens solution is confiscated "because it's a liquid". My bowl of soup, that I was going to eat on a 13 hour international flight is now a national security threat? Are you serious? Yes, they are. And it is just pathetic.
I'm sick and tired of this whole war on terrorism thing. If the death of a person--a person who changed my county for the worse--ends this whole national insanity, I say: Great.
One last thing: OBL chose his path. Let him experience the consequences. And Maybe his demise will send a message to those who contemplate following his example.

Return to “Lounge”