How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Ervin

How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Post by Ervin »

I am writing in light of my treads on veganism and coffee. I am begining to think that how we label certain things like coffee and veganism for instance influemces how it effects us.

For instance, if you go on labeling coffee as a strong upper drug then it might end up having some of those effects of an upper drug on you. But if you don't label it so strongly then it might not have those effects you. Same as with veganism. If you are strongly opinionated about animal rights and how eating only plant baed food is lesser violence and what not, then if you do eat meat you might really feel like a some sort of bad killer and doing it might have certain effects on you.

But if you see it as ok and simply a part of food chain and you still remain with the belief that you are good when it comes to how you want to spend the eternity then that's how it might effect you.

But then again. I was in a car accident when I was about 4 years old. I was supposedly in a Mercedes wich allegedly preaty much saved us because we got hit by the bus. This was supposed to be around 1982. Now I don't remember labeling bus, the car I was in or either of the drivers as evil, but I was phisically hurt and I ended up in a hospital.

Or let's say if someone ends up hurting someone else, just because they enjoy violence, but the person getting hurt didn't even know the person prone to violence means that he wouldn't have labeled him ad violent but he still is.

So my question is: How much and in wich cases in life does labeling and judging efect what that wich we label as good or evil is?

Thanks
Josef

Re: How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Post by Josef »

Labeling, accepting and rejecting etc. are qualities of samsara.
So it kind of has everything to do with it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

I think we need to separate between only labeling and more than labeling.

Only someone who knows the nature of reality can be in the state of only labeling and they can know it is subjective, instead of objective.

Ordinary beings will be more than labeling.

For example:
If you say this tiger is fierce, you just mean this tiger is fierce.

But ordinary beings will have perception more than that. It can create fear, which is already something extra. It will create something extra, whether as attachment or aversion or as neutral (based on ignorance)

If we know the nature of reality, we accept this tiger as fierce as a common perception. It doesn't shake you with fear, or with any subjective fantasies or ideas. Besides that, you are also free from these 3 - attachment, aversion or neutral (based on ignorance)

If someone say this is poison.

Ordinary being will avert it, because someone can die.

But if you know the nature of reality, you just acknowledge that. If you eat that, your condition will change. If you don't eat, your condition will also change the next moment. Between these 2, you have no preference, which one is better or which one is worse.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Ervin wrote:
So my question is: How much and in wich cases in life does labeling and judging efect what that wich we label as good or evil is?

Thanks
The effect is enormous. Suppose you put the label "bad person" on someone. Suddenly nothing they say is true, their every action is suspect, their friends are suspect, their family is suspect, all their beliefs look wrong, and if they ever get a whiff of your attitude they will bounce it back at you, further confirming your label in your own mind, intensifying it. It can spiral into a full blown feud.

All this due to a label probably applied in response to a single action, which your new enemy may even regret!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
lobster

Post by lobster »

There is a big difference between good for me and good for everyone else.
We have a personal or subjective good. :soapbox:

If we widen our field of good, we will find and encourage trends towards the good for ourselves, for others
and for the wider community.
How we do this is dependent on our breadth of experience and understanding. :smile:

So for example it might be a good thing to regularly kick demons and reluctant mahayanists
back to the hell realms . . . who should be doing more to save the suffering occurring . . .
by serving decaf and Linda Mccartney sausages . . . perhaps . . .
http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/

However such un-good behaviour must be reserved for those bad-ass Dakas who have coffee and meat
in their system . . . :woohoo:

Do the good you can. Trust that even the most bad are on the path to Buddhahood . . . :namaste:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Samsara and nirvana are the same ground. So just label and be aware then rest and don't worry. It's just what's going on.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

lobster wrote:
However such un-good behaviour must be reserved for those bad-ass Dakas who have coffee and meat
in their system . . . :woohoo:
I think I may be in trouble here...

Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
lobster

Post by lobster »

:smile:

Strangely and sadly some cats may be addicted to caffeine . . . :shrug:
http://www.topsellingpetsupplies.com/do ... -food.aspx

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”