Zen to Tibetan Dictionary? *grins*

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sara H

Zen to Tibetan Dictionary? *grins*

Post by Sara H »

Does anybody know of any place where I can find a translation of Zen Terms into Tibetan Buddhist Terms and vice/versa?

It would be nice to know so that when things come up in conversation, I can say, "in Tibetan Buddhism they call that ____________"

Smiles, this is for my own reference, and also so we know what we are talking about across Buddhism, and also because I simply wish to understand and relate better to my Tibetan Buddhist Cousins. *big smiles*

Anyway, this would be appreciated and helpful.

I also mean in regard to more advanced terms not just general ones.

Thanks a dozen! *smiles, grins*

In Gassho,

Sara H
Observing your mind is a good idea.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Zen to Tibetan Dictionary? *grins*

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

This link might help
http://www.acmuller.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Having a connection to both Zen and Tibetan Buddhism, I would be very interested to see such a dictionary.

If one doesn't exist, could we compile one on this very thread? This forum seems like the very best place for such a collaboration.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Thanks PadmaVonSamba for the link. : )

I agree, dharmagoat, why don't we start one here, it's as good a place as any, and it will help lots of people talk about Buddhism.

Lets say post and explain either the equivalent terms for either Tibetan or Zen Buddhism, or if there is not one, explain what there is instead, such as several stages of things, etc. This I'm sure will be helpful for people talking about Buddhism, especially to non-Buddhists, but also to other Buddhists.

In Gassho,

Sara H
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Ive been interested in finding some sort of multilingual "meditation terms" glossary (see this thread: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 79&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). My primary interest is English/Sanskrit/Tibetan, but I don't see why Japanese, Chinese, etc. could not be added by those knowledgeable.

Dharmawheel is certain appropriate for discussion, but a wiki might be better for documentation. That's easily available, for example, here: http://wikinet.org/wiki/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I do like this idea, but I think there are a couple obstacles. The first is to figure out how to find consistent sets of terms and definitions for either side. For example, I have discussed with a friend that practices Ch'an who has also read some Dzogchen materials that I have suggested. It seems like what he refers to as the "field of emptiness" might be a cognate for kadag in Dzogchen. The first problem here is that I never came into contact with the term "field of emptiness" when I practiced Soto Zen; similarly, kadag isn't really used by sarma schools, if I remember correctly. So, having monolithic labels like Zen and Tibetan somehow requires you to homogenize all sects under one big umbrella. Finally, I don't think that "field of emptiness" is actually equivalent to kadag. There's more to it; kadag also implies primordial purity. Sometimes there is no translation because each tradition possesses unique concepts.

Having said that, it would actually be interesting to homogenize things and look for cognates between these two traditions. I also have been drawn solely towards these two flavors of Buddhism.
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

tomamundsen wrote: So, having monolithic labels like Zen and Tibetan somehow requires you to homogenize all sects under one big umbrella. Finally, I don't think that "field of emptiness" is actually equivalent to kadag. There's more to it; kadag also implies primordial purity. Sometimes there is no translation because each tradition possesses unique concepts.
Yes, which is one reason I'd like to see some comparison. One way to handle this, in a wiki context, would be to link to "known cognates" and "possible cognates"...

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Also, I don't think one could start from English terms, as translations into English are often very imprecise. Perhaps starting from lists of known terms in Sanskrit, Pali, Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese, etc. might be best.

ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

If you know the Sanskrit base for the Chinese word, then you can find the Tibetan equivalent.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

ngodrup wrote:If you know the Sanskrit base for the Chinese word, then you can find the Tibetan equivalent.
But Zen/Chan terms largely evolved out of native Chinese monasteries and ideas. They don't correspond to Indian thought, so tracing them to Sanskrit and then Tibetan is impossible. You can easily find the equivalent terms in the case of Abhidharma, but not Chan. Chan specific terms won't exist in Tibetan.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Here is a useful reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Buddhism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

That is a useful reference. : )
Thank you for posting that.
I should've known wikipedia would have something like that. *grins*

On a curious point, Zen tradition has Dharma Transmission which it uses to certify it's priests and Dharma Teachers.

What is the Tibetan equivalent (or equivalents if it's multi-layered/leveled) and what are they called? How does that apply, for instance, am I correct in understanding that the Tibetan system uses an esoteric-style initiatory system with different "levels" (for lack of a better word) of certification? Or am I completely misunderstanding it?
A clarification please would be helpful, thank you!

In Gassho,

Sara H
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Huseng wrote:
ngodrup wrote:If you know the Sanskrit base for the Chinese word, then you can find the Tibetan equivalent.
But Zen/Chan terms largely evolved out of native Chinese monasteries and ideas. They don't correspond to Indian thought, so tracing them to Sanskrit and then Tibetan is impossible. You can easily find the equivalent terms in the case of Abhidharma, but not Chan. Chan specific terms won't exist in Tibetan.
Oh, I'm not so sure about that... *grins*

I'm sure there must be a Tibetan equivalent or three to what we might call the Cosmic Buddha/Dharmakaya/Eternal/Unborn/etc..

Or Kensho? The Tibetans don't have a word for that? I would guess they at least call it something. Even if it's "recognizing your inner nature".

In form and feel we may be different, but on certain fundamental levels I suspect the division starts to dissolve.

We have our differences in approaches and specifics to our paths, but Buddha recognizes Buddha. Even if it's on a more colorful cushion. *smiles*

We're not going to have a straight across on everything...- as far as I know, Tibetan Buddhism doesn't use an "awakening stick" for instance, (but then again, neither do a lot of Zen traditions anymore), And Zen uses much less mantra's than they do, (although some of us do use a mudra system),
But for basics and certain fundamental things, I'd imagine there's at least an equivalent or substitute term.

After all, we all take refuge in the Buddha, now don't we?

In Gassho, Friend,
Sara H
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Huseng wrote: Chan specific terms won't exist in Tibetan.

Well, that just isn't true actually. There are a number if Chan texts in Tibetan translation dating from the eighth century and before.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

For a discussion of the Tibetan Chan Malcolm is referring to, Google Sam van Schaik + Tibet. This will get you to his blog on early Tibetan history. He has 3-4 articles on this issue based primarily on texts from the Dunhuang cache. IMO, definitely worth the read. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:For a discussion of the Tibetan Chan Malcolm is referring to, Google Sam van Schaik + Tibet. This will get you to his blog on early Tibetan history. He has 3-4 articles on this issue based primarily on texts from the Dunhuang cache. IMO, definitely worth the read. :namaste:

Also in another a thread, there is a link to some papers published on sems sde, one of which review Jeffery Broughton's contention that Chan was influential on Dzogchen.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

Huseng wrote:

No that is not so.. Terms appearing in Abhidharma appear also in zen. Moreover there are just Zen ''idiomatic'' terms but there are specific and are explained in strictly Buddhist language. In Japan you may find thick dictionaries of Sanskrit-Tibetan-Chinese (Chinese in this sense are used in Japanese dharma language). Those are rather precisely used terms which were designed by Chinese and Indian translators, who mutually knew Sanskrit and Chinese.

Anyway Abhidharma used to be a part of the curriculum for zen monks in their academic studies. If it uses different language then zen teachings then it would be a nonsense to study it, since those zen students could not understand what is said and written.

The problem was rather with first translation into English of Japanese Buddhist literature which tend either to christian words or to philosophical and lost their Buddhist meaning. But many zen texts from Japanese one can translate very closely to Tibetan translations into English. So terms like bodhicitta, or bodaishin in Japanese are sometimes translated in very strange manner which I cannot understand. But this is very trong habit of English speaking translators. Well talking about bodaishin-bodhicitta I heard number of translations and one was pretty astonishing - ''way seeking mind''. and there are hundreds terms like this.

If one translates those Japanese dictionaries, it might help for mutual understanding between Japanese and Tibetan Buddhism in the West...
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Matylda wrote:The problem was rather with first translation into English of Japanese Buddhist literature which tend either to christian words or to philosophical and lost their Buddhist meaning.
:D This has happened a lot, and not just translation from Japanese! :D

If someone knows of a list of Abhidharma terms that might get the ball rolling, perhaps that could be posted here.

Matylda

Post by Matylda »

viniketa wrote:
Matylda wrote:The problem was rather with first translation into English of Japanese Buddhist literature which tend either to christian words or to philosophical and lost their Buddhist meaning.

If someone knows of a list of Abhidharma terms that might get the ball rolling, perhaps that could be posted here.

Yes I am aware of it. I have read terrible translations from Tibetan based entirely on subjective creation of terms etc. However there is already vast literature translated into English and more important into Russian - Russian translators are very good and pretty close to the original. Anyway number of translations of the classical texts from Tibetan excels number of translations from Japanese. So newer translations are improving and also number of translators is much higher. Still translators of Buddhist texts from Japanese is fairly limited. In Europe I met many translators who can do it from Tibetan. From Japanese, one or two... I mean those who can translate Buddhist teachings.

Moreover many Tibetan teachers of different traditions arrive in the West with their knowledge and texts... How many from Japan? Less then number of fingers of a single palm. So there is also no base or support for Japanese translations. There are few well known translators, but still it is not enough. And mostly those are some scholars who also pursue their own researches so often write on their own.
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

viniketa wrote:

Here is a very small start of about 80 terms that I made in 2009 and abandoned shortly thereafter. This list should not be considered reliable.
Attachments
Dharma Dictionary.xlsx.zip
(18.62 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”