Concept Formation

A forum for scholastic discussion/debate.

Concept Formation

Postby joda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 am

Hello,

I'm looking for (electronically accessible) texts concerning buddhist theory of concept formation.
I have Dunnes paper, Ratnakirtis Apohasiddhi and apparently somewhere some snippets of Dignaga, which seem to touch the topic more or less. Are there any other, maybe earlier, texts (specfically) dealing with formation of concepts?

cu

joda
joda

Re: Concept Formation

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm

joda wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for (electronically accessible) texts concerning buddhist theory of concept formation.
I have Dunnes paper, Ratnakirtis Apohasiddhi and apparently somewhere some snippets of Dignaga, which seem to touch the topic more or less. Are there any other, maybe earlier, texts (specfically) dealing with formation of concepts?

cu

joda

Nice little article: "Perceptual Experience and Concepts in Classical Indian Philosophy"
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/perception-india/

This is right on topic:

"Concepts, Intention, and Identity in Tibetan Philosophy of Language" by Jonathan Stoltz. Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies Volume 29 • Number 2 • 2006 (2008) pp. 383–400

Worth a look:

"Sakya Pandita and the Status of Concepts" by Jonathan Stoltz. Philosophy East & West Volume 56, Number 4 October 2006 567–582

I'm not familiar with all this material so I can't vouch for it, but you could try:

Concept and Reality in Early Buddhist Thought by Bhikkhu Nanananda.

I can provide you with any and all of these electronically if you have trouble finding.
Greg

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:33 am

I've also been reading Apoha: Buddhist Nominalism and Human Cognition by Mark Siderits, Tom Tillemans and Arindam Chakrabarti - well worth picking up.
Greg

Postby Virgo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 am

This piece, in my opinion, is very important. It is from a Theravadin perspective, written by someone with a very deep understanding of Abihdhamma. It may not be exactly what your looking for, but I it is still worth the read... without a doubt.

http://www.abhidhamma.org/sujin3.htm

Kevin
Virgo

Postby joda » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:33 am

I was actually interested in the technicalities, so Abhidharma pov sounds good to me.
Thank you both :].
joda

Postby tobes » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 am

joda wrote:I was actually interested in the technicalities, so Abhidharma pov sounds good to me.
Thank you both :].

I have read: Concept and Reality in Early Buddhist Thought by Bhikkhu Nanananda, and would definitely recommend it.

:anjali:
tobes
Global Moderator

Return to Academic Discussion