List of Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests

ananda

List of Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests

Post by ananda »

Nichiren Shoshu interests me and I'm hoping to join up with them someday at one of their temples in California.
One of the things I'm interested in finding is a list of all of the Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests
If you could give me a list of them and their birth-dates as well as the dates of their deaths and locations of birth I would be grateful !
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
markp

Re: List of Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests

Post by markp »

Here is a list of all the High Priests. It comes from soka spirit (SS) but it's just a list. I don't like giving out soka spirit websites normally because they shouldn't be considered to be anything but slanderous.

http://www.sokaspirit.org/resource/down ... -school-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The observer and that which is observed are everywhere produced by the matrix of causality and conditions. In all that is produced by causality and conditions, there is emptiness of self.
The Great Calm-Observation, Volume 5, Part 3, Page 1
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

ananda wrote:Nichiren Shoshu interests me and I'm hoping to join up with them someday at one of their temples in California.
One of the things I'm interested in finding is a list of all of the Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests
If you could give me a list of them and their birth-dates as well as the dates of their deaths and locations of birth I would be grateful !

Nichiren Daishonin
Nikko Shonin
Nichimoku Shonin
Nichido Shonin
Nichigyo Shonin

I don't have a full list to hand but off the top of my head:

Nichiu Shonin 9th high priest
Nichikan Shonin 26th High Priest
Nichiji Shonin I think 56th High Priest
Nichiko Shonin
Nikken Shonin
current High Priest Nichinyo Shonin 68th High Priest

If you want me to put you in touch with some California Hokkeko I've got a few friends in SF and LA :)
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:
ananda wrote:Nichiren Shoshu interests me and I'm hoping to join up with them someday at one of their temples in California.

Nichiren Daishonin
Nikko Shonin
Nichimoku Shonin
Nichido Shonin
Nichigyo Shonin

I don't have a full list to hand but off the top of my head:

Nichiu Shonin 9th high priest
Nichikan Shonin 26th High Priest
Nichiji Shonin I think 56th High Priest
Nichiko Shonin
Nikken Shonin
current High Priest Nichinyo Shonin 68th High Priest

If you want me to put you in touch with some California Hokkeko I've got a few friends in SF and LA :)
Thank you and the the previous poster for responding. I don't know if I'm settled on Nichiren Shoshu yet as I am considering and researching Nichiren Shu as well so I'll have to decline the offer for now but thank you for your assistance. I currently don't have enough time to travel and receive gojukai and a gohonzon from any school currently. I wish there was more material on the history of Nichiren Shoshu on the internet so I could make a little timeline or something. I do have a couple of questions: According to Nichiren Shoshu can a person not attain enlightenment unless he chants to a gohonzon issued by the priesthood of Nichiren Shoshu ?
And what is the story behind the origin of the current logo of Nichiren Shoshu ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Referring to the Nichiren Shoshu heritage being transmitted to several boy High Priests, it is recorded:

1). The New Years guidance of one boy High Priest was: "Chant Three Daimoku and let's play with Mr. Potato Head for an hour."
2). One boy High Priest was seen playing samurai with a ceremonial Gohonzon.
3). Another was heard giving strict guidance to an accolyte priest: "I won't eat my spinach and you shouldn't eat spinach too."
4). and to another priest: "Before mastering the Tientai classics, please master the rules of Candyland."
5). Another was seen playing ring around the DaiGohonzon.
6). One boy High Priest threw a tantrum, "I WON'T DO MIDNIGHT GONGYO UNTIL YOU BRING ME MY COOKIES AND MILK."
7). Another made believe he was studying the Kaimoku Sho while reading a Flying Samurai comic book.
8). Still another was observed hitting priests' wives' derriers with a ceremonial fan.
9). One lad replaced the Living Tooth with an old priest's dental bridge to see the reaction of his 30 year old accolyte.

Illarraza
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

ananda wrote: According to Nichiren Shoshu can a person not attain enlightenment unless he chants to a gohonzon issued by the priesthood of Nichiren Shoshu ?
And what is the story behind the origin of the current logo of Nichiren Shoshu ?

In answer to your first question that is correct. The current logo being the cranes you mean?

in response to illarraza good to see your vast and deep supposed knowledge of Buddhism continues to amuse you. :applause:
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:
ananda wrote: According to Nichiren Shoshu can a person not attain enlightenment unless he chants to a gohonzon issued by the priesthood of Nichiren Shoshu ?

In answer to your first question that is correct. The current logo being the cranes you mean?
Yes that what I want to know. What's the story behind the cranes logo ? How long have cranes been used to symbolize Nichiren Shoshu ? When did it start to be used officially ?
And who chose the cranes symbol ? Why were they chosen to represent Nichiren Shoshu ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

ananda wrote:
noisemonkey wrote:

Yes that what I want to know. What's the story behind the cranes logo ? How long have cranes been used to symbolize Nichiren Shoshu ? When did it start to be used officially ?
And who chose the cranes symbol ? Why were they chosen to represent Nichiren Shoshu ?

Afaik it's the crest of the Daishonin's family. I've seen this on very old Gohonzon's (hundreds of years old) at head temple but don't know exactly. Will have to find out about the other bits as I don't know off the top of my head.
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:
Afaik it's the crest of the Daishonin's family. I've seen this on very old Gohonzon's (hundreds of years old) at head temple but don't know exactly. Will have to find out about the other bits as I don't know off the top of my head.
When you find out please let me know. Another question I have on my my mind is about Highpriests. What are the duties and responsibilities of a Highpriest ? Does the Highpriest exert authority over lay-believers ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

ananda wrote:
noisemonkey wrote:
When you find out please let me know. Another question I have on my my mind is about Highpriests. What are the duties and responsibilities of a Highpriest ? Does the Highpriest exert authority over lay-believers ?
The High Priest has received the Heritage of the Law so we respect him as we would the Daishonin. It states in the 106 Articles "Each High Priest is without exception, Nichiren"
We learn from his guidance and lectures every month, he opens temples and visits and encourages temples around the world as well as organising the priesthood and protecting the Dai Gohonzon, conducting the Gokaihi ceremony, Ushitora Gongyo and other annual ceremonies, inscribing Gohonzons and eventually transmitting the Heritage to the next high priest without leaving anything out. That covers most of the major duties I think, the day at Taisekiji starts at midnight so I imagine his schedule is jam packed.
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:
ananda wrote:
noisemonkey wrote:
The High Priest has received the Heritage of the Law so we respect him as we would the Daishonin. It states in the 106 Articles "Each High Priest is without exception, Nichiren"
We learn from his guidance and lectures every month, he opens temples and visits and encourages temples around the world as well as organising the priesthood and protecting the Dai Gohonzon, conducting the Gokaihi ceremony, Ushitora Gongyo and other annual ceremonies, inscribing Gohonzons and eventually transmitting the Heritage to the next high priest without leaving anything out. That covers most of the major duties I think, the day at Taisekiji starts at midnight so I imagine his schedule is jam packed.
Is who becomes the next highpriest the choice of the current highpriest or is it something arrived at by vote ? How is the next highpriest chosen ? What are the qualifications of a prospective highpriest ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

ananda wrote:Is who becomes the next highpriest the choice of the current highpriest or is it something arrived at by vote ? How is the next highpriest chosen ? What are the qualifications of a prospective highpriest ?
The next high priest is the choice of the current High Priest, usually a senior priest as far as I know. Nichiu Shonin states "since the direct master lineage (high priest and priesthood) holds the mind of the Buddha of the three existences , Nichiren Daishonin and the successive High Priests act as the master. If one becomes a believer, one becomes a disciple of this master and must practice accordingly. In doing so the master and disciple become one in body and mind with the original Buddha of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. This is called attaining enlightenment in one's present form"
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:
ananda wrote:Is who becomes the next highpriest the choice of the current highpriest or is it something arrived at by vote ? How is the next highpriest chosen ? What are the qualifications of a prospective highpriest ?
The next high priest is the choice of the current High Priest, usually a senior priest as far as I know. Nichiu Shonin states "since the direct master lineage (high priest and priesthood) holds the mind of the Buddha of the three existences , Nichiren Daishonin and the successive High Priests act as the master. If one becomes a believer, one becomes a disciple of this master and must practice accordingly. In doing so the master and disciple become one in body and mind with the original Buddha of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. This is called attaining enlightenment in one's present form"
Ah interesting. And since we're on the topic of Highpriests I'd like to know how many priests make up the priesthood of Nichiren Shoshu today ? Is it required that all priests go to Taisekiji for training and ordination ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

I don't know how many priests there are but there are at least 600 temples in total. All priests train under the direction of the high priest at the Mutsubo (containing an original Nichiren Daishonin Gohonzon) which is a small temple at Taisekiji next to the Kyakuden reception hall temple. The high priest conducts morning Gongyo with the young priests in training there every morning after Ushitora Gongyo. There training is very strict and includes the cold recitation which is conducted in February where the trainee priests must recite the Hoben and Juryo chapters with the doors of the temple open for a sustained period at high volume so they can be heard from the Sanmon Gate which is about half a mile away. This is an amazing demonstration of their faith and practice
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:I don't know how many priests there are but there are at least 600 temples in total. All priests train under the direction of the high priest at the Mutsubo (containing an original Nichiren Daishonin Gohonzon) which is a small temple at Taisekiji next to the Kyakuden reception hall temple. The high priest conducts morning Gongyo with the young priests in training there every morning after Ushitora Gongyo. There training is very strict and includes the cold recitation which is conducted in February where the trainee priests must recite the Hoben and Juryo chapters with the doors of the temple open for a sustained period at high volume so they can be heard from the Sanmon Gate which is about half a mile away. This is an amazing demonstration of their faith and practice
Wow sounds tough ! Any particular reason why the cold recitation is done in February ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

Because it's really cold then to strengthen their voices. Our priests also study at university and major in Buddhism with additional topics of their choosing.
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:Because it's really cold then to strengthen their voices. Our priests also study at university and major in Buddhism with additional topics of their choosing.
What is the name of the university most priests study at ? And what rules do priests follow like the Patimokkha rules for monks in other traditions ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

I think it's the Rissho University in Tokyo and the total time for a priest to be tonsured is 12 years. They maintain celibacy up to a certain age, not sure of the exact details about the other rules though there definitely are some.
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:I think it's the Rissho University in Tokyo and the total time for a priest to be tonsured is 12 years. They maintain celibacy up to a certain age, not sure of the exact details about the other rules though there definitely are some.
Sorry if I ask too many questions but I want to learn as much as possible. I came across a video also where the Highpriest and others priests sip out of a red cup. What is the name of this ceremony and what is it's significance ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsyW_b5 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

No probs. That is during the San san kudo part of the Oeshiki celebrations : Prayers are offered to the Dai-Gohonzon. In the evening, the Oneri rite is performed. A slow procession of the priests, representing the advent of Nichiren Daishonin, suddenly comes to a halt when it arrives in front of the Mieido Temple. A bell is struck seven, five, and then three times, as six priests run out to greet the High Priest, bowing reverently. This performance symbolizes the disciples asking the True Buddha to enter the temple to expound the Law.

The procession then moves west around the Mieido and enters from the rear. This is done because Nichiren Daishonin is assumed, in this ceremony, to dwell eternally at the Mieido to elucidate True Buddhism. The lay members enter as guests at the front entrance.

After entering the hall, the High Priest takes a seat facing north on an elevated pulpit, the jogyo-za (Bodhisattva Jogyo's seat). He represents Bodhisattva Jogyo, whose emergence from the earth is described in the Yujutsu (fifteenth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra.

A priest then asks the High Priest to take the seat of the Buddha. After the High Priest takes his new seat, he burns ceremonial incense and begins his sermon of the Juryo chapter of the Lotus Sutra. The High Priest's performance in this ritual symbolizes the Daishonin's revelation that Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is the essence contained in the depths of the Juryo chapter.

Shortly after the sermon, the san san kudo ceremony is served to the High Priest and six senior priests by six attending priests. (Literally, san san kudo means three times three equals nine.) This is an ancient ceremony in Japanese tradition performed to celebrate a happy event. In this ceremony, the san san kudo serves as a gesture to congratulate the Daishonin and his six main disciples, securing the bond between master and disciples. This ritual concludes the first day.

Return to “Nichiren”