YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Vipassana taught by the Buddha - Dhamma Wheel

Vipassana taught by the Buddha

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
starter

Vipassana taught by the Buddha

Postby starter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Hello Teachers/Friends,

I'd like to share with you my understanding of Vipassana taught by the Buddha in the Anapanasati Sutta (MN 118) and AN 9.36.

1. Contemplation of the body [breathing]: it is about experiencing bodily fabrications and experiencing the calming/stilling of bodily fabrications.

2. Contemplation of the feelings [piti and sukha]: it is about experiencing mental fabrications and experiencing the calming/stilling of mental fabrications (mainly feeling, perception and conception, and probably also intention and attention?).

3. Contemplation of the mind:
1) Experiencing the presence and absence [stilling] of greed/aversion/delusion
2) Gladdening the mind by the absence of greed/aversion/delusion and other hindrances [?]
3) Concentrate/steady the mind
4) Enter jhana

4. Contemplation of the Dhamma:
1) Contemplate anicca/dukkha/anatta of the five aggregates involved in the jhana [disenchantment towards the five aggregates].
2) Contemplate dispassion and ending of craving [towards the five aggregates].
3) Contemplate cessation [of attachment to the five aggregates].
4) Contemplate relinquishing [of greed/aversion/delusion].

I base the contemplation of the Dhamma on the following teaching of the Buddha in AN 9.36 (& MN 64):

'I tell you, the ending of the effluents depends on the first jhana.' Thus it has been said. In reference to what was it said?..., there is the case where a monk... enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. He regards whatever phenomena there [in the jhana?] that are connected with form, feeling, perception, fabrications, & (sense-)consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self. He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness:

'This is the peaceful, this is the sublime, that is, the stilling of all formations, the relinquishing of all attachments, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, Nibbana.'

If he is steady in that, he attains the destruction of the taints. But if he does not attain the destruction of the taints because of that chandaraga (desire and attachment) for the Dhamma [those states: jhanas] then with the destruction of the five lower fetters [self-identity views, grasping at sila & observances, doubts, sensual passion, and aversion] he becomes one due to reappear spontaneously [in the pure abodes], and there attain final Nibbana without ever returning from that world.

As underlined above, while remaining in the first jhana he “regards” the phenomena there as anicca/dukkha/anatta, and continue to contemplate dispassion/cessation/relinquishing, instead of only noting their arising and passing away with bare attention.

One could argue that the Buddha taught the contemplation of anicca as bare attention of the phenomena of arising and passing away with regard to the body, feelings, mind and the Dhamma in the Satipatthana Sutta (MN 10 and DN 22), but such anicca contemplations are not found in the early Chinese agama versions of the equivalent suttas.

Did the Buddha teach the contemplation of anicca (for insight) as only bare attention of the arising and passing away of phenomena in some other suttas?

Your input will be most appreciated. Thanks and metta,

Starter

PS: I checked the definition of "contemplation", and found the most common meaning is "thoughtful, long, calm observation / consideration / examination / reflection of an object or objects.
Last edited by starter on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monkey Mind

Re: Vipassana taught by the Buddha

Postby Monkey Mind » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:34 pm

I saw this on the other forum, and copied it to my notebook. Before the resident critics have their go, I'll just say thank you for the effort.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 pm

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 pm

This Chinese Tipitaka may contain Mahayana material, but the Agamas do not, as far as I've ever heard, being that they're more or less same body of texts as the Nikayas. Anyhow, I believe that the Satipatthana suttas of the Pali Canon are thought to likely be something of an amalgam. Which doesn't necessarily nullify the information in those texts, but it would explain why the particulars of the content vary. Not a big deal.

But I realize I haven't provided a source (damned if I can remember where I read everything I do), so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

starter

Postby starter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 pm

"This Chinese Tipitaka may contain Mahayana material, but the Agamas do not, as far as I've ever heard, being that they're more or less same body of texts as the Nikayas."

-- Indeed, the Agamas were introduced to and translated (around end 300 A.C.) in China well before Mahayana.

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:44 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:26 pm

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:03 pm

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:11 pm

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:51 pm

"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:31 am

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:07 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:57 am

Starter,

The steps to stream entry:

1) association with kalyanamittas/spiritual friends
2) listening to the true dhamma (..said by 1) above)
3) appropriate contemplation (yonisomanasikara)- what you considered 'contemplation', if I am not mistaken
4) practice according to the dhamma. (dhammanudhamma patipada)

In my practice of teaching, I find that yonisomanasikara serves as a good foundation for contemplating anicca etc BEFORE starting bare awareness/choiceless awareness, because otherwise many practitioners will simply go down the 'make samsara comfortable route, by being mindful'. I used to start with mindfulness, but now I make sure that right view is in place, before starting pure satipatthana. This is time well spent, otherwise people could go completely off track.. as seems to have happened sometimes.

I feel the dhammanudhamma patipada refers to the satipatthana- note that silavantan sutta say a practitioner MAY get into stream entry by appropriate contemplation alone, but in the satipatthana sutta this is guaranteed - it is the 'ekayana' path- the one sure path. You ask for other suttas - well Anapanasati sutta, Kayagatasati sutta and the satipatthana samyutta all come to mind. Remember there are 8 other factors to practice as well- so there are lost more suttas on those elements of the path as well- and it is not all about mindfulness (the one-fold path :) ).

Also look at this:

"In the same way, there are these gross impurities in a monk intent on heightened mind: misconduct in body, speech, & mind. These the monk — aware & able by nature — abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence. When he is rid of them, there remain in him the moderate impurities: thoughts of sensuality, ill will, & harmfulness. These he abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence. When he is rid of them there remain in him the fine impurities: thoughts of his caste, thoughts of his home district, thoughts related to not wanting to be despised. These he abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

We should not let ourselves be biased based on the locality from where our teachings originate from. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

starter

Postby starter » Fri May 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Hm ... I've just learned something new about anapanasati. As I understand now, the second tetrad appears to mean the calming of the piti and the coarse pleasure associated with piti, in order to calm down the agitation associated with such feelings. Whereas the third tetrad seems to be about experiencing the refined sukha, the refined pleasure associated with tranquilized body and mind, which can lead one to profound samādhi (there are different types of sukha). So "experiencing the mind" probably doesn't mean "Experiencing the presence and absence [stilling] of greed/aversion/delusion", and "Gladdening the mind" also doesn't mean cheering up the mind "by the absence of greed/aversion/delusion and other hindrances", but deepening the refined sukha. The third tetrad finally achieves "stilling of the mind".

Thanks and metta to all,

Starter

starter

Postby starter » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi I listened to the 16 steps several times today and realized that the second tetrad appears to mean experiencing mental fabrications and experiencing the calming/stilling of mental fabrications (perceptions of feelings and all mental formations) instead of the calming of actual sukha. The 4th tetrad (contemplation of the Dhamma) seems to mean experiencing/contemplating anicca/fading away/cessation/relinquishment of every in-breath and out-breath, instead of things other than breath.

The contemplation of the five aggregates as anicca/dukkha/anatta and the contemplation of nibbana don't seem to be done during the 16 steps, but probably another way of meditation after entering jhana.

Welcome your comments. Thanks and metta,

Starter

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 am

Return to “Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana”