guru yoga question

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
anjali
Former staff member

guru yoga question

Post by anjali »

Greetings all,

For a while now I've been reading Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's works and feel a devotional connection with him. Recently I found out that he wrote a guru yoga for himself in 1980 at the request of one of his long-time students. It's available for purchase. I was wondering what the general view is of doing guru yoga for a guru that has passed on and that the practitioner has never met in person?

:anjali:
heart

Re: guru yoga question

Post by heart »

anjali wrote:Greetings all,

For a while now I've been reading Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's works and feel a devotional connection with him. Recently I found out that he wrote a guru yoga for himself in 1980 at the request of one of his long-time students. It's available for purchase. I was wondering what the general view is of doing guru yoga for a guru that has passed on and that the practitioner has never met in person?

This Guru Yoga is something quite special and amazing. According to Tulku Urgyens instructions it could be applied as a general Guru Yoga and he could be exchanged for your own Guru. But there are a huge amount of Guru Yogas for lamas that have passed on and none of us met in person so it would definitely be proper anyway. Erik and Marcias work as well as his marvelous sons continuous effort to carry on his legacy make him still very present in this world. Also his tulku have been found and are presently receiving training. Please get the lung and instructions from one his sons or students before applying the practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

heart wrote:
anjali wrote:Greetings all,

This Guru Yoga is something quite special and amazing. According to Tulku Urgyens instructions it could be applied as a general Guru Yoga and he could be exchanged for your own Guru. But there are a huge amount of Guru Yogas for lamas that have passed on and none of us met in person so it would definitely be proper anyway. Erik and Marcias work as well as his marvelous sons continuous effort to carry on his legacy make him still very present in this world. Also his tulku have been found and are presently receiving training. Please get the lung and instructions from one his sons or students before applying the practice.

/magnus
Magnus, thanks for your response. I am going ahead with purchasing TUR's guru yoga instructions and will look over the material. I will definitely ask around if there is anyone here in the US who can give lung and instructions. Unfortunately because of the nature of my work and finances, I'm highly restricted in my travel options. :(
heart

Post by heart »

Tsoknyi Rinpoche is in the US. I recommend getting personal instructions for this practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”