Direct Introduction online?

monktastic

Direct Introduction online?

Post by monktastic »

Hi all,

I'm practicing semi-self-taught Mahamudra right now, and I understand that it's not a good idea. So I'll be finding myself a guru.

I have a question about the Direct Introduction / Pointing Out Instruction. I know Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche offers direct transmission three times a year, and I will attempt to sit in on the November one. It sounds like it may be harder to receive online, and even harder if I only get an audio feed. Is this a reasonable concern? Do people actually recognize rigpa in this way, or is it much better to receive it in person? With any luck, I'll be doing that soon anyway, but that will probably happen later.

Thanks,
M
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
underthetree

Re: Direct Introduction online?

Post by underthetree »

As someone who, like you, was practicing semi-self-taught Mahamudra and received direct introduction from Namkhai Norbu, I recommend that you seek out Rinpoche's teachings as soon as possible. You have nothing to lose, and on the other hand...

PM me if you want.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

monktastic wrote:Hi all,

I'm practicing semi-self-taught Mahamudra right now, and I understand that it's not a good idea. So I'll be finding myself a guru.

I have a question about the Direct Introduction / Pointing Out Instruction. I know Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche offers direct transmission three times a year, and I will attempt to sit in on the November one. It sounds like it may be harder to receive online, and even harder if I only get an audio feed. Is this a reasonable concern? Do people actually recognize rigpa in this way, or is it much better to receive it in person? With any luck, I'll be doing that soon anyway, but that will probably happen later.

Thanks,
M
He offers direct introduction with every webcasted retreat, not just three times a year.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Give a Donwang of Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

This contains direct introduction.

There is an open webcast which started today at 4 am eastern time -- I suggest you get up and listen.

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

21st -27th September 2012
Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol

the terma teaching of Ridzin Jyangchub Dorje.
OPEN WEBCAST. Timezone: GMT+2

21st Sept. 10am-12pm.

Introduction about this Teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga related with the tridlung of Short Thun Practice.

22nd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving more detail explanation about the teaching of Zhitro and its different methods.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

24th Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving instruction about the essential practice of the Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

25th Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving instructions how we do the practice of Zhitro for the living and dying people.
12,30pm - 1pm. We do a Short Gana Puja for the day of Guru Rinpoche.

26th Sept. 10am-12pm.

We do the practice of Jyangchog for all dead people who we have good or bad relations.

27th Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving some advices for the daily life practices and tridlungs of collective practices and so on. We also do an Ati Guru Yoga altogether for finishing our retreat.
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

Malcolm wrote: He offers direct introduction with every webcasted retreat, not just three times a year.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

There is an open webcast which started today at 4 am eastern time -- I suggest you get up and listen.

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol

21st Sept. 10am-12pm.

Introduction about this Teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga related with the tridlung of Short Thun Practice.
I just noticed this morning that I missed the first session (2 AM MDT). If the DI takes place on Sep 23., I will attend tomorrow and Sunday's sessions! BTW, how did you discover that the DI takes place on the 23rd? From the description bolded above? (If so, it's not something I would/could have discovered!)

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

DI is always part of any donwang that ChNN gives. If the retreat in question doesn't have a donwang, then it's usually given by other methods involving guruyoga on the first or second day.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

monktastic wrote:
Malcolm wrote: He offers direct introduction with every webcasted retreat, not just three times a year.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol

21st Sept. 10am-12pm.

I just noticed this morning that I missed the first session (2 AM MDT). If the DI takes place on Sep 23., I will attend tomorrow and Sunday's sessions! BTW, how did you discover that the DI takes place on the 23rd? From the description bolded above? (If so, it's not something I would/could have discovered!)

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M

I have received this transmission.
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

Sherlock wrote:DI is always part of any donwang that ChNN gives. If the retreat in question doesn't have a donwang, then it's usually given by other methods involving guruyoga on the first or second day.
Super! Thanks, that's very helpful. One more question:

Should I be doing my best to remain in the natural state while attending? Is it more likely that I may recognize it then? (It may be ridiculous, but one concern is that it will be less obvious because there will be less change).
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Just don't think so much. Maybe you will recognise it, maybe you won't. If you don't, then there are methods to help you do that which you will be authorized to practise after you received the transmission.
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

Sherlock wrote:Just don't think so much. Maybe you will recognise it, maybe you won't. If you don't, then there are methods to help you do that which you will be authorized to practise after you received the transmission.
Right-o. Into the fray, then!
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

monktastic wrote:

Thanks,
M
You can listen in but it would have to have been "real time" to actually have the Direct Introduction.
ChNN has told me this himself, and of course during teachings he has said this, that you have to
be present when he is live.

:thumbsup:
Kris

Post by Kris »

Attending Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's webcast retreat has been the best thing to happen in my life (it's only my second one) :twothumbsup:

wishing you all the best

:namaste:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

monktastic wrote:

Thanks,
M
The direct introduction isn't contained in those audio recordings and even when we listen live it's not coming to us via our internet connection. The introduction involves participating simultaneously with one's guru, following his instructions and attempting to be in the same state simultaneously. In other words, the introduction isn't really about hearing some magic words but having a first-hand experience while in sync with one's guru being in his knowledge of the natural state. Since the natural state has no location, how near or far the guru is from one does not matter. But synchronicity of the transmission in time is necessary.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: The introduction involves participating simultaneously with one's guru, following his instructions and attempting to be in the same state simultaneously... etc...
:good:
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

T. Chokyi wrote:
monktastic wrote:

Thanks,
M
You can listen in but it would have to have been "real time" to actually have the Direct Introduction.
ChNN has told me this himself, and of course during teachings he has said this, that you have to
be present when he is live.

:thumbsup:
ChNN says so, because if Internet allows us to get rid of space, we are not yet ready to get rid of time ... if we were audio would work.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote: The introduction involves participating simultaneously with one's guru, following his instructions and attempting to be in the same state simultaneously... etc...
:good:
There is nohing to attempt to ... if introduction means participating simultaneously, realization of it could happen any time.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Sönam wrote:
There is nohing to attempt to ...

Sönam
Yes, it's true, "attempt" is maybe a problematic word. But then all words are problematic, so it's best that newcomers just tune in at the time of the webcast and follow Rinpoche's instructions instead of going off what strangers on Dharmawheel say.

Sönam wrote: ...if introduction means participating simultaneously, realization of it could happen any time.
Simultaneous participation simply means you participate in the transmission Rinpoche is giving at the same time that he is intending to give it. If one has not yet received transmission, then it is said one cannot just realize the natural state at any time; but once one has received transmission, one can then indeed do guru yoga as much as one wants at any time and then realization can arise at any time.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

monktastic wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Just don't think so much. Maybe you will recognise it, maybe you won't. If you don't, then there are methods to help you do that which you will be authorized to practise after you received the transmission.
Right-o. Into the fray, then!
I like your enthusiastic attitude! Also, "monktastic", lol,thats a great user name, please don't consider me a stranger, you can PM me anytime concerning anything related to CHNN's teachings, and I'll answer you the best I can same as underthetree offered. I am a member of the DC and will renew every year as long as I live.

:smile:
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

T. Chokyi wrote: I like your enthusiastic attitude! Also, "monktastic", lol,thats a great user name, please don't consider me a stranger, you can PM me anytime concerning anything related to CHNN's teachings, and I'll answer you the best I can same as underthetree offered. I am a member of the DC and will renew every year as long as I live.

:smile:
Hard not to feel this way! My life is pretty perfect, and all that's left is saving all these sentient beings :tongue:

So for now, I'll relax and let this empty cognizance do its thang, refreshing it as needed. It may not be authentic nonmeditation, and I may not glimpse rigpa, but it probably can't hurt.

And meanwhile I'll listen to Rinpoche's lectures (and his DI), and do my best to find a master. Until then I'm sure I'll continue to harbor doubts about my practice, given that I don't have any of these timeless / distinction-less experiences that I understand accompany actual recognition of rigpa. :broke: Maybe those only come later, or maybe after tonight's DI something will change.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up at some point.
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa

Return to “Dzogchen”