The Problem With Buddhists

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: The Problem With Buddhists

Postby fragrant herbs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:09 pm

thank you so much Caz. Good to see you here.
fragrant herbs

Postby fragrant herbs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:02 am

edylumiyo wrote:Great responses here, thanks.

One issue that seems glaring to me is when choosing Buddhism specifically (and this applies to almost all other faiths/religions), we are still choosing our own interpretation (picking and choosing) of the teachings. Even "Buddhists" can't all agree on what Buddhism teaches. Often, even people within the same tradition of Buddhism can't agree on the teachings. The reason is it all comes back to our own perception and interpretation. Even the teachers of the past that have helped make a specific tradition what it is today had their own interpretations of those teachings, hence different schools and branches under those schools.

Again, I don't see an issue with using knowledge from any and all traditions to help someone along their spiritual path. As always, I respect the beliefs of them and the folks here, and I appreciate the thoughtful discussion.

i agree with you, and it is only right to respect others beliefs. when we begin to judge other people and other religions there is no end to it. i had two christian friends that belonged to the pentecostal religion, but the one friend would always try to say the other, even though they had the same beliefs. that is how far it can go. we are all on our own path, and it will take some of us longer to get there than others. for all i know a christian mystic might get there before a buddhist.

Well the problem with Buddhists is they are too aggressive especially the ones on this forum.

the problem is that being anon behind a computer can often change people's behavior, and this goes for any religious forum. we are all only human, and as humans we err.
fragrant herbs

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 am

Sorry did I come across as agressive? And here is me thinking that I was being honest and earnest. I have to admit that I can get "heated" though! If you've ever been to Greece or seen two Greek people talking you will inderstand. It always looks like an argument, even when it is the complete opposite.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby fragrant herbs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Greg, I don't know who the poster was speaking about. i just replied in general. And anyway, aren't you posting with your real name and so are not anon? :namaste: Even i wondered who the poster was talking about. Me? Someone else? But I thought it needed a reply, because people tend to think that Buddhists are always compassionate and kind, and while we are all working on it, it doesn't always happen. there was a time when if i saw aggressiveness on buddhist boards, i left. like e-sanga. now i don't expect anyone to be perfect, not even a teacher.
fragrant herbs

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:40 pm

edylumiyo wrote:Again, I don't see an issue with using knowledge from any and all traditions to help someone along their spiritual path. As always, I respect the beliefs of them and the folks here, and I appreciate the thoughtful discussion.
Some paths are wide, paved, straight and direct, others are narrow, rocky, twisted, winding and indirect, ultimately though, all paths lead somewhere. The questions that one must ask themselves are: "where do I want to go?" and "how do I want to travel?"
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Rael » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:53 pm

gregkavarnos wrote: If you've ever been to Greece or seen two Greek people talking you will inderstand. It always looks like an argument, even when it is the complete opposite.

Tell me aboud id...my barber is Greek...and sometimes i leave after he refused to do the whole head....

then there is that Greek town deal in toronto where you see people walking around with souvaliki skewers sticking out different parts of them as they run out of restaurants to the local hospitals...and it
is all just accepted cause their Greek :tantrum:
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby Jikan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

post deleted. wrong thread.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Caz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 am

Some people are more brash in their communication, I think the internet doesnt transplant well social skillfulness. :tongue:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Rael » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Caz wrote:Some people are more brash in their communication, I think the internet doesnt transplant well social skillfulness. :tongue:

my humor is usually lost as well....lool
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby martin123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:28 am

Anyone with half an eye open can see EckhartTolle is a bodhisattva.
Martin
martin123

Postby Son » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:13 am

Really, I can't believe this thread has even developed. The article itself is made out of demerit. The act of actually discussing it is... such a waste. Our human minds are so precious, why get caught up in something like this?

Anti-Buddhists will always be anti-Buddhists. We see what we seek. When the Muslims murdered thousands of bhikkhus, they were not searching for Truth. Neither was Tolle.
Hopefully, on the other hand, Buddhists are.
Son

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:43 pm

martin123 wrote:Anyone with half an eye open can see EckhartTolle is a bodhisattva.
Yes, well, the problems begin when they open their eye fully, or look with both eyes and I won't even begin to go into what they see if they apply their wisdom "eye".
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Ah the Greek is back :mrgreen:
plwk

Postby Dave The Seeker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:23 pm

:hi: Nice to see you back Greg
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Dave The Seeker

Postby Red Faced Buddha » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 am

I don't really think rant fits the bill.Though the guy sounds pompous,he isn't exactly ranting.Anyway,it's an easily refutable article.
A person once asked me why I would want to stop rebirth. "It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want to be reborn."
I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"
Red Faced Buddha

Previous

Return to Open Dharma