Is Eido Tai Shimano's lineage legitimate?

Re: Is Eido Tai Shimano's lineage legitimate?

Postby Matylda » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:43 am

shel wrote: There's over four decades worth of documentation, from various witnesses. It would be idiotic to discount that evidence and see for myself.

However, even his harshest critics say he's the real McCoy as far as realization and teaching Zen. To me, that only speaks to what realization and Zen means today, which is to say that it is rather meaningless.

4 decades and never jailed? Perfect! sounds as if the USA is a lawless country. As for zen being meaningless, well your posts show it clearly, then why are you so concerned? Specially if you keep theravada view? If so all zen right from its beginning should be meaningless for you.
Matylda

Postby shel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Matylda wrote:
shel wrote: There's over four decades worth of documentation, from various witnesses. It would be idiotic to discount that evidence and see for myself.

However, even his harshest critics say he's the real McCoy as far as realization and teaching Zen. To me, that only speaks to what realization and Zen means today, which is to say that it is rather meaningless.

4 decades and never jailed? Perfect! sounds as if the USA is a lawless country. As for zen being meaningless, well your posts show it clearly, then why are you so concerned? Specially if you keep theravada view? If so all zen right from its beginning should be meaningless for you.

I don't dictate what realization and Zen means, Matylda, no one person does. It means whatever those who call themselves Zen Buddhists decide, and if they decide that a demon from hell can show the path to liberation and enlightenment, well, that means something.
shel

Postby shel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Matylda wrote:sounds as if the USA is a lawless country.

Have you heard of the OJ Simpson trial? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case

There is law in this country, but it's expensive.
shel

Postby Astus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Since the discussion is beyond the original topic, it is now closed.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Previous

Return to Zen