New user from America

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Tanmart22

New user from America

Post by Tanmart22 »

Greetings DW community-

I would like to introduce myself in brief, knowing that I plan to use these forums on a regular basis to help me transition into Buddhism.

Basically, I am a young adult, in the final year of college, but for pretty much my whole life I have had a spiritual inclination, a tendency to see patterns in people and to trace things back to their root source.

I have always been fascinated with religion in general, and also philosophy, because they attempt to tackle some very interesting and difficult questions.

I have gone through phases of Christianity (it is the most popular religion around here, with many open doors) and phases of no particular religion, only personal spiritual practice.

I started learning about Buddhism about two years ago, and I have to say that I agree with everything I've learned, but I hesitate to use the term 'learning', because any real progress must come at the visceral and not cognitive level.

Essentially, I am not quite at the point where I would feel comfortable calling myself a Buddhist, because I simply don't know enough, and haven't really become part of the community, and that is really why I have joined the DW forums.

My goals for this relationship (because really that's what it is) are to 1) overcome the knee jerk "second dart" reactions that the mind imposes 2) become more comfortable with exploring and engaging the mind, whether it be through education (history/ science), imagination (literature), or meditation (music and/or silence) and 3) gain a greater knowledge of my internal landscape to create a personal refuge and place to begin the graceful ascent

I welcome all opinions, from folks with a variety of backgrounds, from disperate communities, as we can create a rich and complete foundation upon which to live.

-Tanmart 22
:namaste:
OK
DNS
Site Admin

Re: New user from America

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi, Welcome to DharmaWheel!
Lobsang Jinpa

Post by Lobsang Jinpa »

Hello, and thanks for joining us here. :smile:
Tanmart22

Post by Tanmart22 »

Thanks for the welcomes! :yinyang:
OK
lobster

Post by lobster »

:hi:

I am new here too. In all my years of study I have learned Nothing.
Hopefully you will help me out :woohoo:
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

Namaste,

Welcome to DW. Your story shares similarities to my own. Looking forward to your posts. :P
Tanmart22

Post by Tanmart22 »

Thank you do_not.

I get the sense that Buddhism is a diverse and wise religion and part of me joining the forum is really to learn more about it, and to grow in it, as I mature as a person.

I'm sure in time I will find those on these boards who understand where I'm coming from and can display the intelligence and patience to help me take the next step.
OK
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Tanmart22 wrote: I get the sense that Buddhism is a diverse and wise religion and part of me joining the forum is really to learn more about it, and to grow in it, as I mature as a person.

I'm sure in time I will find those on these boards who understand where I'm coming from and can display the intelligence and patience to help me take the next step.
Actually, you come accross as a bit older than you say you are.

What is your age again?

Kevin
Tanmart22

Post by Tanmart22 »

I'm in my twenties...
OK
Tanmart22

Post by Tanmart22 »

Since a young age I have gravitated toward adults especially in discussion and seeking the truth...

A blessing and a curse.
OK
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome Tanmart2 to Dharmawheel!

Return to “Introductions”