becoming a wandering yogi?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
username

Re: becoming a wandering yogi?

Post by username »

That is great. If you have inclination for this noble aspiration then it might come true in future after you are ready. Before you settle down with a family.There was a rare kind of society in Tibet. Gars or temporary encampments & wandering yogis were not rare but a tribe of families of ngakpas wandering about was rare even in old Tibet but it did exist. I believe some of Lama Dawa's relatives were in the last one before it disappeared. Anyway he is one of the greatest living ngakpas & lamas alive & no one knows about these things in the west more than him. Whatever teachings or particular empowerments you need he can give. The last email shot, you can subscribe in the link below in an older mailshot, says he is not well & everyone should pray for him. Though he is not available now but he has enthroned Ngakpa Orgyen Rigzin as a lama recently and you can ask him via their contact details in the link any questions you like about becoming a wandering ngakpa. If you save enough for a cheap off holiday-season ticket to India or Nepal you can live for very little there daily and visit many places & lamas too. Good luck.
http://e2.ma/message/op0fb/c43u0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Kris

Post by Kris »

im going to pm you
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

about the green tara practice,
is it okay to visualize green tara in front of me while chanting the mantra and then merging with the image?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

RikudouSennin wrote:about the green tara practice,
is it okay to visualize green tara in front of me while chanting the mantra and then merging with the image?
Wait till you get the lung on the last day, then get the book and either the mp3 or the dvd.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

RikudouSennin wrote:about the green tara practice,
You can always visualize Green Tara in front of you radiating light/wisdom and blessing all beings and yourself and chant mantra. But at the end until you have empowerment most people would say to not have the visualization melt into you. But still recognize that in essence you are no different than Green Tara except that she is a fully enlightened Buddha.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I was a wandering Yogi in the States when I was your age. If this is what you want to do, you need to find places that are supportive. I visited monasteries but none would teach me beyond the weekly open meditation or various long-life ceremonies for the lama. I would set up camp in the woods outside of monastery property and spend the days meditating in the garden.

In India, a wandering Sadhu is respected, but in America, you are just another homeless bum. If you want to eat healthy food this can be challenging. I found the Pacific Northwest to be the most supportive environment for a wandering Yogi. I could live in the woods. I could come into town and make enough money to buy some rice, beans, tea, etc. to take back to my camp. There was a co-op nearby where I got good food. Good food is important to me, I don't like to eat processed food, junk food, high fructose corn syrup, GMO food etc.

I can answer any questions you have. When I am done raising my son I might return to being a wandering yogi, we will see. It is an alright life as long as you keep your teeth clean and your health good. It sucks if you need any dental work and don't have insurance.
:namaste:

Kris

Post by Kris »

:good:
i have several question
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
username

Post by username »

Unless one is an advanced yogi with some years under the belt & not needing masters' teachings while wandering (OK if it comes along or anything else for that matter which is the point of that practice) one is not a "wandering yogi" but just "wandering" even if it is as a practitioner who is not really benefiting from that journey as much as doing other practices during that period. It is for more advanced yogis on a fast track. As I said it is best to ask a high lama for a divination before setting off, otherwise it is just a fantasy, & better spend the time on practices & teachings IMHO. It is best to always not get carried away by motions or fantasies or even transient experiences & keep one's rational mind & critical reasoning & common sense as the main lamp on the path as well as ordinary life.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Kris

Post by Kris »

i agree
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

That is very true! You must be vigilant and clear in your desire to be a homeless yogi to make sure it isn't disguising a giving up on the world and frustration of wordly failure. There is the thought "I haven't been successful in the world, I can just give up worldly desires and be a successful yogi!" However, that is the traditional motivation. I could give you advice regarding if I think it is a good idea or not, but that is not for me to judge. I could say "better to leave that up to the advanced yogis." but for all I know you are an advanced yogi. I am not qualified to judge you, I am only qualified to support you how I can in your desire. You are the one who has to make the journey and you are the one who has to decide if you are sincere and if your practice is sincere. If you are sincere and are completely honest with yourself, then you are already an advanced yogi. It is always good to have a teacher, but that doesn't mean that you can't live your chosen lifestyle. And if a teacher is not available, or if they didn't accept you because you were homeless and poor like what happened to me, the true guru is within you, or is your true nature. That is why I said if you are radically honest with yourself you are already and advanced yogi. But best to stay humble with beginner's mind anyway. A teacher who won't teach someone because they are homeless is not a good teacher anyway.

Kris

Post by Kris »

Skywalker wrote:That is very true! You must be vigilant and clear in your desire to be a homeless yogi to make sure it isn't disguising a giving up on the world and frustration of wordly failure. There is the thought "I haven't been successful in the world, I can just give up worldly desires and be a successful yogi!" However, that is the traditional motivation. I could give you advice regarding if I think it is a good idea or not, but that is not for me to judge. I could say "better to leave that up to the advanced yogis." but for all I know you are an advanced yogi. I am not qualified to judge you, I am only qualified to support you how I can in your desire. You are the one who has to make the journey and you are the one who has to decide if you are sincere and if your practice is sincere. If you are sincere and are completely honest with yourself, then you are already an advanced yogi. It is always good to have a teacher, but that doesn't mean that you can't live your chosen lifestyle. And if a teacher is not available, or if they didn't accept you because you were homeless and poor like what happened to me, the true guru is within you, or is your true nature. That is why I said if you are radically honest with yourself you are already and advanced yogi. But best to stay humble with beginner's mind anyway. A teacher who won't teach someone because they are homeless is not a good teacher anyway.
It's not about giving up the world, i actually cant explain it, yes i have some motivations but i als have an inherent urge that has been there since a child, i fell it needs to be done. :emb:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
greentara

Post by greentara »

skywalker, "be the most supportive environment for a wandering Yogi. Good food is important to me, I don't like to eat processed food, junk food, high fructose corn syrup, GMO food etc."
It's wonderful and I'm certainly humbled by the life you chose. As a wandering yogi should one be so concerned with good food, nutrition, dental health etc? Monks appreciate the food given. Sadhus beg and are thankful for the food offered. I guess it all depends how strong the spiritual pull is.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

greentara wrote: As a wandering yogi should one be so concerned with good food, nutrition, dental health etc? Monks appreciate the food given. Sadhus beg and are thankful for the food offered.
Green Tara, I don't know, but I am concerned about good food. I understand the whole being grateful for everything that is provided, if good wholesome food is provided, I am very thankful for that.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I also believe good dental health is important if one wants to put an end to suffering. Until the advent of modern dentistry about 100 years ago toothache was the number one cause of suicide. No point in neglecting your health. But that is just me.

Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

A large part of the practice for a wandering yogi is to take pain, illness, poor food, and other bad conditions to the path. Really this is it. Thinking of it as a lifestyle choice or something you can opt out of isn't really right.
So you need to know how to take suffering to the path. Mingyur Rinpoche has adopted this form of practice. I'm sure he's delighted when he gets a toothache or bad food. But that's just him.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Kris

Post by Kris »

well i planned to leave next year but things have come up so i will be leaving on my journey in mid october..
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Read my post again. It's important.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Kris

Post by Kris »

yes, i read.
even noted it down in my journal for hard times.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

So ask yourself would it hurt more to stay or to go? Can you deal with the pain of staying? Of being ordinary? Of working 9-5? These ordinary situations also need to be taken to the path.
I once asked my teacher if I should do what you intend to do. He told me not to be contrived. He was right. I'm surprised your teacher has said it is o.k for you to do this.
The Blessed One said:

Kris

Post by Kris »

Andrew108 wrote:So ask yourself would it hurt more to stay or to go? Can you deal with the pain of staying? Of being ordinary? Of working 9-5? These ordinary situations also need to be taken to the path.
I once asked my teacher if I should do what you intend to do. He told me not to be contrived. He was right. I'm surprised your teacher has said it is o.k for you to do this.
there is no diffrence in me staying or going. it is unordinary. there will be work 24/7.
there are friends of mine all around the country, mostly vaishnavas. they have welcomed me to there homes from new york to ohio to cali.
the decision has been made.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”