Retreat ideas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Retreat ideas

Post by Kris »

was wondering how to hold a self retreat? Focusing on Tara for a week and maybe longer.
have the time to dedicate and a few spots at local parks etc.
anyway any ideas
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Andrew108

Re: Retreat ideas

Post by Andrew108 »

Local parks?
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Kris

Post by Kris »

outdoors :shrug:

it has to be indoors??
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Usually yes.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Kris

Post by Kris »

i see
any ideas?
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

What's the motivation? A good retreat starts with a good motivation.
The Blessed One said:

Kris

Post by Kris »

healing, getting over habits, being more compassionate to people I come across, growth heal.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

Each month I do a day long solo retreat. I stay at home, practice a series of different meditations, interspersed with reading something on Buddhism and doing some creative activity. About midway I be sure to take a break and eat something. This gives me a sense of being immersed in my practice and I find it rewarding.
:namaste:
Lise
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

RikudouSennin wrote:healing, getting over habits, being more compassionate to people I come across, growth heal.
RikudouSennin - A suggestion. It is not Tibetan, Dzogchen, or anything exotic. It is Vipassana (insight) meditation. You would have to halt your other practices for 10 days. But it is 100% free, no-cost way to start the above things:

http://courses.dhamma.org/en-US/schedules/schpatapa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've done a 10 day meditation, you can also do "service" days (sometimes a day at a time, sometimes for 10, 20, 30 day retreats). So, consult your teacher (ChNN?), and if it is OK, go for it.

Just offering a possibility.

*Chg location
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

For a retreat to be succesful you need as little distraction as possible. You have your practice and you divide your day up into a set schedule, usually doing four sessions a day. When your not doing your practice you do whatever; you cook, eat, or whatever but you keep it really simple. Some people have it set up where other people cook their meals for them but that isn't necessary. Its best not to have contact with other people and keeping silent is good (besides maybe mantras and prayers). So I don't think doing a retreat like this would be possible in a park or public area. Theres no point if you just end up talking to random people or have to move around to avoid being seen or anything like that. You want to be prepared. It won't be effective if you end up going to McDonalds for lunch in the middle of it- not saying you would do that but you know what I mean.

You should also be familiar with your practice. Have you been doing the Green Tara practice a la Dzogchen Community? Its simple enough but you need to make sure you have the correct pronunciation and melody. Do you have the booklet for the practice? I am not saying that you shouldn't do the retreat, but if you want it to be effective you should be prepared and make sure that the conditions are right. It sounds like you've got some time on your hands so thats good. How's your practice and studying going?

Troy
Terma

Post by Terma »

lisehull wrote:Each month I do a day long solo retreat. I stay at home, practice a series of different meditations, interspersed with reading something on Buddhism and doing some creative activity. About midway I be sure to take a break and eat something. This gives me a sense of being immersed in my practice and I find it rewarding.
Lise
I do the same thing from time to time, and it is quite helpful.

As someone had said, a good place to start is by setting your motivation. This part should be easy, because with a good motivation it will be a success. I would also suggest having a rough outline or idea of how you wish to divide up the time, but it is good to be a little spontaneous too.

I think home (if possible) is the best place to do something like this. I think one aspect of retreat is to try to create a boundary in which to practice. On a few levels actually; a physical boundary so that we may practice undisturbed in a more concentrated manner, and also the aspect of taking retreat from our normal mundane living and habits (if that makes sense)...

Here are a few ideas for your own personalized one day retreat if you decide to go this route:

Don't turn on the television or computer, let others know ahead of time you will be "busy" that day so you may not be interrupted. Try to go the whole day with no phone, no music, and so-forth. Focus on whichever practices you are doing, and break the day up according to your practice. Not sure what kinds of practices or meditation you do, but you could spend time on different aspects of practice so that you do not fizzle out from constant focus on meditation (eg. prostrations, confession, prayers, etc.). You could also take some time in between formal practice to read dharma texts (I had recited the bodhicaryavatara for example), take time to eat wholesome food, maybe even a short break to have a walk, etc. Point is, make this day about being aware no matter what it is you are doing at the time.

I think these kinds of one day retreats are a great practice. It helps us to be a little disciplined when we devote our whole day to dharma practice, and it is a helpful way to re-energize our practice too.

Just a few suggestions for a single day solo retreat at home. I think you will see the benefits of doing this from time to time whenever possible!

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Terma
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

If you know other practices like Chöd, Sang, Protectors/Serkyem, then you can also include them in your four sessions. Generally you would do your first session before breakfast with Sang if possible (or at least do this at the start of your retreat), eat breakfast, set up offering bowls and do a session, eat lunch, do a session with protectors/serkyem, eat dinner, do a session with Chöd, take down offering bowls, sleep (and do dream yoga if you know it).
heart

Post by heart »

RikudouSennin wrote:was wondering how to hold a self retreat? Focusing on Tara for a week and maybe longer.
anyway any ideas
If you have no possibility to stay in a protected space where you want get disturbed I think you shouldn't try to do a retreat. However, you could go to the park early or late, whenever it is safe, and practice for several hours and then maybe contemplate and study the rest of the day. If you keep that up for a while it can be very powerful. Also, to do a proper retreat you need to be able to do session that last 2-3 hours, so it is a reasonable way to start anyway.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

i have the Tun book now, so i will focus on that.

thanks for the replies
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
lobster

Post by lobster »

RikudouSennin wrote:was wondering how to hold a self retreat? Focusing on Tara for a week and maybe longer.
anyway any ideas
:applause:
if doing an outer Tara practice . . .
have a picnic with her . . .
It should look like a conventional picnic appropriate to your local.
You will have to read from appropriate text silently and recite internally.
you could bring a laptop or go for a tara walk . . . mp3 player + tara :twothumbsup:
http://youtu.be/lqcWl6VAB_M

Are you intending to do her mantra and visualization?

I used to set up a shrine everyday and practice with Tara.
Here is the sort of thing . . .
requires more privacy . . .
http://www.ewamchoden.org/wp-content/up ... _Green.pdf

:hug: good luck :hug:
Kris

Post by Kris »

lobster wrote:
anyway any ideas
:applause:
if doing an outer Tara practice . . .
have a picnic with her . . .
It should look like a conventional picnic appropriate to your local.
You will have to read from appropriate text silently and recite internally.
you could bring a laptop or go for a tara walk . . . mp3 player + tara :twothumbsup:
http://youtu.be/lqcWl6VAB_M

Are you intending to do her mantra and visualization?

I used to set up a shrine everyday and practice with Tara.
Here is the sort of thing . . .
requires more privacy . . .
http://www.ewamchoden.org/wp-content/up ... _Green.pdf

:hug: good luck :hug:
:good: i like the way you post
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”