YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The politics of song (Dylan & DeFranco) - Dhamma Wheel

The politics of song (Dylan & DeFranco)

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

The politics of song (Dylan & DeFranco)

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 am

to be broadcast 16 April 2011

An examination of the politics behind two American songs written nearly forty years apart: Bob Dylan's 'The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll', and one of Ani DiFranco's more controversial songs, 'Self Evident', written in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks on the USA.

The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll

Bob Dylan's biographer Howard Sounes casts new light on the 1963 song, 'The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll', Dylan's account of the killing of a black hotel worker. The song is part of both the history of folk music...

Self Evident

When Ani DiFranco supported Bob Dylan for his 2003 tour of Australia, the Sydney audience booed and heckled her when she performed her protest song, 'Self Evident'. 'Self Evident' was

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/intothemusic/s ... 182795.htm

May you enjoy!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

alan

Re: The politics of song (Dylan & DeFranco)

Postby alan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 am

Hi Ben
Is there a link to DeFranco's song?

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 am

Hi Alan
Here you go: http://www.righteousbabe.com/ani/l_self_evident.asp
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alan

Postby alan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 am

Ms. Franco is no Bob Dylan... I don't see that attitude winning many converts or influencing perceptions.
As a lonely leftist watching America inexorably drift rightward, I can't help but despair at our lack of a solid voice. Seems the corporate takeover of media and legal institutions has permanently cemented the conservative viewpoint.

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 am

Hi Alan
I am not familiar with Ani DeFranco except for one or two songs. The fact that she was heckled in a concert in Sydney in 2003 supporting Bob Dylan has piqued my interest but my real interest in the program is first part which is the documentary on the death of the Hattie Carrol. But I hear what you say with regards to a lack of a solid voice of the left.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Return to “Lounge”