Back online and upgraded!

Back online and upgraded!

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:58 am

:hi:

Sorry about the down times lately. If you have seen our messages at Dhamma Wheel on facebook, then you already know what is going on. In case anyone hasn't seen that:

We got too big!! This is a good thing; for Dharma propagation, that is. We got so big that the shared server we were using was about to crash. The web hosting company shut us down, we were so big with too many hits per day. All of the TheDhamma.com websites are tallied together in terms of hits and Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum), Dharma Wheel, and Dhamma Wiki were receiving thousands of hits per day, overloading the shared server.

So we have upgraded to a Virtual Private Server (VPS) Gold package which means that all TheDhamma.com sites will be on their own dedicated virtual server; not shared with other sites. We should be able to handle somewhere near one million hits per day without a problem from now on. Previously I thought that there needed to be around one million posts or so here at Dharma Wheel and Dhamma Wheel before we needed an upgrade, but guess I was wrong and underestimated the amount of traffic we were receiving.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Back online and upgraded!

Postby Indrajala » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:45 am

Thanks David for all your efforts and the fact you pay for this out of your own pocket. :smile:
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby futerko » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 am

Huseng wrote:Thanks David for all your efforts and the fact you pay for this out of your own pocket. :smile:

I second that :anjali:
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Virgo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 am

Oh the site was down... I haven't been banned after all. :tongue:

Great Job David, and everyone else.

Kevin :twothumbsup:
Virgo

Postby Will » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:42 am

Well done David. :bow:
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Lobsang Jinpa » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 am

Virgo wrote:Oh the site was down... I haven't been banned after all. :tongue:

That was my concern at first. I was left wondering what I had said that could have been so offensive to earn a ban.

I'm glad that wasn't the case, and glad that the forum is back up and running. :)
Lobsang Jinpa

Postby plwk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 am

And for the post re-opening obligatory lolcat blessing...

plwk

Postby mindyourmind » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am

Thank you, David.
As bad as bad becomes its not a part of you

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Postby Tara » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:38 am

David N. Snyder wrote:... We got too big!! ...

Image For a minute there it felt like E-Sangha revisited. All joking aside David your time and effort are greatly appreciated.

It's not a competition. It's a choice.
Tara
Tara
Site Admin

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 pm

I thought I'd been kicjked off, then i did a DNS search and saw that DW was hosted by GoDaddy, which had a massive shut down problem.

It was a great teaching on impermanence!

Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Yudron » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:16 pm

The take away lesson for me from this, is that we who make actual posts need to remember that those who read the forum and don't post are the vast majority. Therefore, we should be ever mindful about what we write.
Yudron

Postby Malcolm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 pm

response time is definitely faster -- the old server was experiencing a bit of a lag at times.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby Ogyen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Rock on Dharma Wheel. Back in style. :woohoo:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby shel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah it's super fast now.
shel

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Something I mentioned over at Dhamma Wheel too:

Special thanks to our ordained Sangha members here, the moderating staff, AND all the lay people and other participants here. Any fool with a little money can start a website or forum, but it takes a great community to make it something this special. A website with no one visiting or participating is useless. It IS the community that we have here that has made this possible.

:group:

And yes, the new server is much bigger and better due to being a private server and therefore, faster. Otherwise you won't notice any changes in the format or structure, the web hosting issues are all just "behind the scenes" material that help make this work.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby underthetree » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Back and better than ever! And I was worrying that I'd broken it...
underthetree

Postby zerwe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 pm

:namaste:
zerwe

Postby Dave The Seeker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Thank you David for getting things back in order :woohoo: and making it better than ever. :twothumbsup: :namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Dave The Seeker

Postby Zenshin 善心 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:32 pm

thanks David.
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
Zenshin 善心

Postby viniketa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:11 am

Thank you for the space, David. :bow:

Just as an FYI, this as well as dhammawheel.com still seem to "drop-out" of name space, periodically. You might wish to have the DNS name server configuration checked.

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Next

Return to Announcements