Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has New Life

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has a New Liver!!!

Post by Huseng »

Will wrote:The latest from Bhikshu Dharmamitra:
As for rumors of my demise, they're still somewhat premature. They finally let me out of the hospital again Thursday... Still feel like merde, principally because I've got some mystery infection they still haven't figured out, even after dozens of tests and exotic diagnostic procedures.

Still aspiring to pull off some phoenix act, get out a few dozen more translations, and maybe even start giving Dharma talks again, this with the intention of clarifying numerous misperceptions western Buddhists cherish about the Path. So, even as horribly painful as this whole process has been (and continues to be), I'm not giving up, period.
Now there's a trooper Bodhisattva. :thumbsup:
remm

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has a New Liver!

Post by remm »

Dharma Master Heng Shou has suffered a lot these past few years, but I'm glad he's finally gotten over the worst part of his illness. Everyday during the Ten Thousand Buddha's Repentance, the fourfold assembly of the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas would dedicate merit to him in hopes of a speedy recovery. I think we're all very glad and happy that he'll be staying with us for a lot longer now.

In Dharma,

D
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has a New Life!

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The latest - turning the corner toward good health!
Though still plenty messed up, I'm feeling much, much better, being able, taking it slow, and with the aid of a cane, to take quite long walks even several times per day and the supposed "infection"... seems to be a mere matter of night sweats and middling fevers, known initial side effects from a couple of the 3 immuno-suppressant meds I'm taking on top of about 25 other temporary subsidiary meds.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Current status report:
Re your update question, not good, not bad: They keep pulling me back to hospital, 3x inpatient, for drains, biopsies, etc. Never a dull moment, but I try to just surf on it. Recovery seems to be a long rocky road repeatedly blocked by karmic obstacles. Oh, well...
remm

Post by remm »

Thank you, Will.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has a New Life

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Dharmamitra is not in a good mood, generally speaking. Just got out of the hospital for the 9th time and will go again soon. Still enfeebled too much to translate or teach.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has New Life

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Karma willing, Bhikshu Dharmamitra will complete his latest translation project!

He is about one-third through the large dasabhumika vibhasa of Nagarjuna. This is a commentary on the Ten Bodhisattva Grounds. When finished, in the facing-page Chinese format, it will run around 1600 pages, in two volumes.

Donations via the Kalavinka Press site will be put to excellent Dharma use.
BuddhaSoup

Post by BuddhaSoup »

I'm curious as to how Ven. Bhikshu Dharmamitra is doing these days, post liver transplant. Very hopeful that he is well and happy. I have been reading excerpts from his excellent "The Essentials of Buddhist Meditation By Shramana Zhiyi (Chih-i)" and have been enjoying the insights the Venerable presents in his translation of this (IMO) important text.

I tried to google his name for an update, with no luck. Does anyone have any feedback on how is his health, and how he is doing generally? Thanks in advance.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

BuddhaSoup wrote:I'm curious as to how Ven. Bhikshu Dharmamitra is doing these days, post liver transplant. Very hopeful that he is well and happy. I have been reading excerpts from his excellent "The Essentials of Buddhist Meditation By Shramana Zhiyi (Chih-i)" and have been enjoying the insights the Venerable presents in his translation of this (IMO) important text.

I tried to google his name for an update, with no luck. Does anyone have any feedback on how is his health, and how he is doing generally? Thanks in advance.
He's doing pretty well, all things considering. Thus, back to his old full time translation schedule. His latest batch of translations are now with the semiofficial proof reading team, to send in feedback before revision and then on to print.

~~ Huifeng
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Huifeng wrote: He's doing pretty well, all things considering. Thus, back to his old full time translation schedule. His latest batch of translations are now with the semiofficial proof reading team, to send in feedback before revision and then on to print.
Excellent news all around!
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra Has Translations

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is a snip from an early draft of Kumarajiva's version of the Ten Grounds Sutra. Vajragarbha Bodhisattva Mahasattva is teaching:
The path of the Buddhas, the lords among the Āryas,
is subtle, sublime, extremely difficult to comprehend,
and not such as can be realized through thought’s calculations,
As such, it is a region coursed in only by the wise.
Its essential nature, from its origins on forth to the present,
is quiescently still and devoid of any production or extinction.
From its origins on forth to the present, it is that emptiness
wherein all sufferings and torments are utterly extinguished.
It departs distantly beyond all of the destinies of rebirth
and is characterized by its identity with nirvāṇa itself.
In it, there is no middle and no end.
It is not such as can be described through words and phrases.
It transcends the three periods of time
and, in character, is comparable to empty space.
This region wherein the Buddhas course
is that of purity and profoundly quiescent cessation.
This is such as verbal descriptions find difficult to approach.
So too it is with the practices coursed in on the grounds.
If even describing them remains such a difficulty,
how much the more so would it be to reveal them to others.
The wisdom of the Buddhas
abandons the pathways accessible to the mental factors,
cannot be conceived of by thought or described in words, and
is not a place wherein aggregates, sense realms, or sense bases exist.
One can only come to know it through wisdom
as it is not such as can be reached as an object of the consciousnesses.
It is as difficult to describe as tracks of travel through the air.
How then could one succeed in revealing any characteristic marks?
The meanings associated with the ten grounds are just like this.
They are not such as a mind not boundlessly vast can ever know.
Although these matters are inherently difficult,
one brings forth vows, coursing thence in kindness and compassion.
One’s gradual fulfillment of practice on the ten grounds
is not such as one might arrive at through thought.
This sort of practice on the grounds
is subtle, sublime, and especially difficult to perceive.
One cannot know them through thought
and must take on the powers of the Buddhas to describe them.
You should all now attend to this with that reverence
wherein everyone joins together in listening single-mindedly.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A Dharma point emphasizing the need for practice; from the Ten Grounds Sutra, Second Ground:
If one fails to personally course in goodness himself, and yet nonetheless expects that he might cause others to dwell in goodness simply by explaining such dharmas for their sakes, this would be a complete impossibility.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

It made my day reading this.

Is this Ten Grounds Sutra to come out in 2 editions, one bare-bones translation for Numata and one with supporting apparatus under his own imprint? I thought I heard something about a dual publishing project. :D
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Will wrote:
To all whom it may concern:

Thought I'd go ahead and pen myself what I hope will be the final installment of the Dharmamitra / Heng Shou updates heretofore so graciously authored by my dear sister.

I was for the first time able only yesterday (6/20) [2010] to get up and walk around in monks robes. By coincidence, this day happened to correspond to the 15th memorial ceremony commemorating and celebrating the marvelous bodhisattvic life of my dear late guru, the Venerable Master Hsuan Hua.

Many thanks to all those many people who supported my rescue from a deep chasm of black karma and supported my recovery in so many ways. I am so deeply grateful for all your efforts on my behalf.

Should still take another 6 months to recover completely, but as it stands now, all signs point to the likelihood of genuinely restored health and the ability to continue my life's work of translating sacred Buddhist texts.

With best wishes for the happiness of all, I am ever your friend in Dharma,
Bhikshu Dharmamitra / a.k.a Heng Shou

It has been four years now and that liver is acting up. He will get it thoroughly checked out in June.

So kindly call upon your healing, restorative thoughts and powers for Ven. Bhikshu Dharmamitra!

May he serve the Triple Jewel for many years longer!
WuMing

Re: Bhikshu Dharmamitra

Post by WuMing »

Will wrote: It has been four years now and that liver is acting up. He will get it thoroughly checked out in June.

So kindly call upon your healing, restorative thoughts and powers for Ven. Bhikshu Dharmamitra!

May he serve the Triple Jewel for many years longer!
May he recover swiftly, regain his strength and health to be able to continue his most beneficial work of which so many people will benefit greatly!
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Na mo bo qie fa di.
Bi sha she. Ju lu bi liu li.
Bo la po. He la she ye.
Da tuo jie duo ye.
E la he di.
San miao san pu tuo ye.
Da zhi tuo
nan. Bi sha shi. Bi sha shi.
Bi sha she. San mo jie di. Suo he.

Namo bhagavate
Bhaishajyaguru-vaidurya
Prabha-rajaya
Tathagataya
Arhate
Samyak-sambuddhaya
Tadyatha
Om Bhaishajye Bhaishajye
Bhaishajya-samudgate Svaha.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

He does very important and unique work. I'm praying for him too!
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

On behalf of Dharmamitra, he is always grateful for kind, healing thoughts & wishes from all.

Please continue them, for another bothersome karmic illness event is transpiring now.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

There is a 90% probability that Bhikshu Dharmamitra, can be cured of his present affliction, which affects the staying power of his transplanted liver. That will grant him (karma willing) another 6 or 7 years of translating, as opposed to only 1 or 2 more years.

However, this cure costs well over $100,000. :crying:

So call upon all wealth attracting forces to help him out! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Will wrote:On behalf of Dharmamitra, he is always grateful for kind, healing thoughts & wishes from all.

Please continue them, for another bothersome karmic illness event is transpiring now.
We will need to set up a foundation/fund for him to in order to raise money for the treatment. Would it be possible to get the treatment at a westernized hospital in Thailand at generally 1/10th the cost and no loss of quality?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”