Direct Teaching

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Zenda

Re: Direct Teaching

Post by Zenda »

I think the quote from Tulku Urgyen is very relevant to the discussion. While it may be true that some practitioners can simply rest in the natural state, badaboom badabing, for most of us, there is a certain kind of effort involved. I'm not talking about gutting it out or wrestling the view to the ground and beating it into submission. In my experience, it is more of a gradual process of familiarization with the so-called natural state.

When I started practicing a long time ago, I used to read threads like this and find them inspiring. And I'd truck along for awhile until I hit a huge obstacle, and then all that inspiration would go up in a cloud of smoke. My wish for those who read this thread is that they take the useful inspiration here and not be discouraged if this is not the way practice is for them from the beginning or all the time. This is not any kind of criticism of you, Oushi; it's what keeps flashing through my mind as I read this thread... I'm sure you know that it's very easy to say these things and an entirely different matter to realize them.
oushi

Post by oushi »

Zenda wrote:My wish for those who read this thread is that they take the useful inspiration here and not be discouraged if this is not the way practice is for them from the beginning or all the time.
Great advice.
Zenda wrote:I'm sure you know that it's very easy to say these things and an entirely different matter to realize them.
Maybe not entirely, but different indeed, as it doesn't come from words. Words can just open the gate.
Say what you think about me here.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

oushi wrote:
Zenda wrote:My wish for those who read this thread is that they take the useful inspiration here and not be discouraged if this is not the way practice is for them from the beginning or all the time.
Great advice.
Zenda wrote:I'm sure you know that it's very easy to say these things and an entirely different matter to realize them.
Maybe not entirely, but different indeed, as it doesn't come from words. Words can just open the gate.
The self opening gate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dRyzwv ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:smile:
oushi

Post by oushi »

Every gate is self opening gate, beyond premeditation.
oushi

Post by oushi »

Longchenpa wrote:In the event of failure to intuit intrinsic gnosis, which is pure being, there is no chance that we can attain release in this lifetime by any deliberate physical, verbal or mental act. Religious practice becomes a tense constraining mesh constricting and veiling gnosis, and although some small satisfaction may follow, the product is conditioned and thus certain to fade away, perishing like an earthen pot. Such practice can never attain to the indestructible reality of pure being. Whatever is deliberately created is conditioned and transient, whereas its opposite, the uncreated, is imperishable. Since it is indestructible, pure being can only be seen by non-deliberate, unintended relaxation into the natural state; goal-oriented action is mesh of constraint leading us closer to Buddhahood by not so much as a hair’s breadth. Such ambition may well be regarded as a futile samsaric trap.
How marvelous.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”