YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Goldstein, Kornfield and One Buddhism - what's missing? - Page 5 - Dhamma Wheel

Goldstein, Kornfield and One Buddhism - what's missing?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Goldstein, Kornfield and One Buddhism - what's missing?

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:03 am

_/|\_

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Yes, that was my doing - to ask if his thoughts might be expanded as a "truth" of all spiritual traditions, even non-Buddhist. I was just seeking views here, not saying that Goldstein believes this to be so.

My own personal opinion is that people who's minds cling less to the mental phenomena that arise (such as emotions, beliefs, judgments) who practice patience and compassion, who behave ethically and experience life with a sense of humor are "freer" in the way Goldstein described then those who don't. Even those who believe in God and soul..

They stand a good chance of being born as Buddhists in their next life.

:tongue:

But that's just my view.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:50 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 am

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby christopher::: » Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Not sure if this relates or not, but a few of us have been and the brahmaviharas over at ZFI... and how its foundational "emotional" work and sometimes practitioners may focus too much on the mental aspects of practice, neglecting the foundational work needed in regards to cultivating compassion, joy, metta, etc. Do the brahmaviharas serve as a kind of antidote to egoism and help to reduce clinging? Definitely this would seem to be true of the 7 factors of awakening.

I just wonder how far one can go with a focus on primarily mental and contemplative work if these factors are not also being cultivated skillfully in our day-to-day activities and social interactions with others..
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:18 pm

I think that generally this is a natural byproduct of practice - as the heart empties out of the preoccupation with oneself, it fills with kindness for others.

This kindness is not always gentle, however. Those wrathful deities wielding swords hacking away at delusion are the epitome of kindness too, not just the gentle Quan Yin.

Wisdom is the key, as I see it.

Practicing the brahmaviharas with little wisdom one is more likely to annoy the crap out of everyone else (as I have done numerous times!) On the other hand opening up to listen and to be there 100% for the other is more worthwhile.
_/|\_

Postby christopher::: » Tue May 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi Dan. I think perhaps there's an interdependence there - with wisdom and the brahmaviharas. But for many people i think the brahmaviharas come more easily, its stuff you can learn as children from our parents and family if fortunate. With wisdom and effort we get more skillful - the key thing is to keep practicing, keep the brahmaviharas a priority, imo...

Especially for those of us with children & family!! Practice opportunities are neverending.

But, I dunno.

:smile:

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Postby christopher::: » Thu May 12, 2011 4:35 am

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 pm

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

icyteru

Postby icyteru » Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 pm

The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Pārasamgate

Postby Pārasamgate » Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”