The Song of Vajra

Pero

Re: The Song of Vajra

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote:
Sönam wrote:and there is a precise tempo, wether slow (http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... V_SLOW.pdf) or fast (http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... V_FAST.pdf) ... it is not supposed to be sung otherwise.

Sönam

I think you are being a little too rigid there, Sonam. Even ChNN does not sing SOV the way Adriano has transcribed it.
Yeah hahaha. As far as I understood Adriano in that webcast that's the way it's supposed to be in done in the dance of the vajra because it's coordinated with movements. When alone I try to sing it as close as I'm able to the way Adriano taught it then, but we don't sing it quite like that with Rinpoche.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Malcolm wrote:
Sönam wrote:and there is a precise tempo, wether slow (http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... V_SLOW.pdf) or fast (http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... V_FAST.pdf) ... it is not supposed to be sung otherwise.

Sönam

I think you are being a little too rigid there, Sonam. Even ChNN does not sing SOV the way Adriano has transcribed it.
Of course, when you are transported, it may vary ... but it also comes as such by itself.
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Pero wrote:
Virgo wrote:
Pero wrote: Below is the fast version
One can do it in the thun this way?
Sure.
Thanks. I'll do that.

Kevin
pawel

Post by pawel »

The video is very joyful, and also done with good sense of humor considering the original Rinpoche's melody and the subject.
The melody actually resembles the fast way of Song of Vajra though it is interpretation of course.
I like the whole thing very much and it makes me have a laugh (with the singer also laughing in the last verse, I suppose).
:heart: (watched twice already)
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

I've heard a teacher once remark that sometimes when people chant it is as if they were at a funeral. This certainly can't be accused of that!
SSJ3Gogeta

Post by SSJ3Gogeta »

pawel wrote: :heart: (watched twice already)

Did you figure out why the guy has wings on the back of his hoodie??
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I heard from some older practitioners that there used to be a very Indian sounding version with sithars but still keeping the main melody. I have never heard it before though. Was it one of the variants alluded to above or was it ever an "official" melody?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Rinpoche's "Music for the Dance of the Vajra" is on Amazon and the version of SOV is slow and quite beautiful.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Sönam

Yeah hahaha. As far as I understood Adriano in that webcast that's the way it's supposed to be in done in the dance of the vajra because it's coordinated with movements. When alone I try to sing it as close as I'm able to the way Adriano taught it then, but we don't sing it quite like that with Rinpoche.
I follow the boss.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:
I follow the boss.
Springsteen?

:tongue:
Kevin
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I got a reply from Yeshi that Jan's version has actually been used for some public events.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote:Springsteen?

:tongue:
Kevin
phpBB [video]

I like him almost as much as I like Melloncamp.

Kevin
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Sherlock wrote:I got a reply from Yeshi that Jan's version has actually been used for some public events.
A Bollywood Indian Pop Festival? ... with the angel wings on the back.
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Pero wrote:Adriano Clemente taught very precisely how to sing it in 2010, it was webcasted. I think we never really sing it like that. But then that way was more related to the vajra dance, where everything has to be more precise. Below is the fast version from that webcast (you can go faster still).

phpBB [video]
This is the one I find easiest and enjoy most. I don't seem able to learn the slow version easily.
Left
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

I received a first answer from my gakyil ...

"OK, Rinpoche a seulement dit OK!!! combien de fois ne nous a-t-il pas donné cet ex , on voudrait que les choses soient blanches ou noires mais ce n'est peut-être pas le cas! ..."

Ok, Rinpoche only said Ok!!! How many time did he gives us that exemple, we would like the thigs to be white or black but it's may be not the case ...

Sönam
Last edited by Sönam on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Longchen Rabjam -
pawel

Post by pawel »

SSJ3Gogeta wrote:

Yeah, sure.
Everytime I sing the Song of Vajra I've wings on my hoodie too. It's normal.

;)
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

pawel wrote:
SSJ3Gogeta wrote:

Yeah, sure.
Everytime I sing the Song of Vajra I've wings on my hoodie too. It's normal.

;)
Guys. Isn't it obvious? Hermes became a Buddhist. :thumbsup:

And call me a relic, but that double rainbow appearing as soon as they started filming kinda suggests that it may not be the most inauspicious thing ever...

SoV is sublime and precious as is, but as Malcolm said, the words are liberation through hearing no matter what. Being super rigid and attached to the sanctity of the melody probably isn't going to help us.

At a recent Tsog, my good Bhutanese Khenpo friend sang the Vajra Guru mantra to the tune of Amazing Grace. I'm sure Guru Rinpoche never intended that, but it was wonderful.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Anyone know when the SOV was first taught to humans?
Left
Pero

Post by Pero »

Blue Garuda wrote:Anyone know when the SOV was first taught to humans?
I imagine when the Union Of Sun And Moon tantra was first transmitted.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
username

Post by username »

No need to ask lamas on these basic questions. If we can't draw basic conclusions on this then looking at many Tibetan & Nepalese & Bhutanese pop videos which have non secret Mantras AND lamas, not just footage, in them should suffice for those of us obsessed with rituals or signs, missing the essence & even basic codes of behavior.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes

Return to “Dzogchen”