Animal sacrifice cancelled.

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Animal sacrifice cancelled.

Postby Indrajala » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

Animal sacrifice rites halted under Buddhist pressure. As you might also know, animal sacrifice is still common in South Asia. Every few years the news reports some poor human also gets sacrificed to Kali.

From Sri Lanka:

http://www.ucanews.com/2012/09/03/hindu ... sacrifice/

A Hindu temple has agreed to cancel, for this year, its ritual slaughter of animals after a series of protests by Buddhist monks and activists.

Hindu devotees were to sacrifice around 300 goats and nearly 1000 chickens at the popular Sri Badrakali Amman Kovil temple in Munneswar, north of Colombo, on Saturday.

Chief priest Muththu Sivapada Sundaram announced that the annual event would not take place this year, by request of President Rajapaksa. He asked them to refrain while the sacred Kapilawasthu relics of Lord Buddha are on display in Sri Lanka. They will be shown until September 12 at various locations.

Over 1,000 monks and activists demonstrated in front of the temple last week, while some animal lovers went to court to seek a permanent ban on the practice. After a postponement, the Court of Appeal is due to hear 14 petitions tomorrow.

“We cannot stop this ritual, as Hindu devotees bring animals to please their goddess Kali, but we respect the president’s request,” the chief priest told ucanews.com.

“This is a collective decision taken by our board of priests, even though Chilaw Court issued an order in favor of us.”

The issue of animal sacrifice generates controversy and heated debate on a regular basis.

“Hinduism is a peaceful religion, it does not support such a cruel act. God cannot be satisfied by the blood of innocent animals,” said Venerable Passaramulle Dayawansha, a prominent Buddhist monk. “It’s time to end killings in the name of religion.”

Lalani Perera, a lawyer and advocate for the animal rights activists, said: “Sri Lanka does not have a strict law but these slaughters breach the provisions of the Cruelty to Animals’ Law and the Butchers Ordinance. We have filed a case with Colombo magistrates.”

Government minister Mervyn Silva appeared to side with the protesters at a press conference, when he said that the ritual is not mandated in any religious scripture. “Being in a Buddhist country, we should not engage in these types of criminal acts,” he said.

But many practising Hindus are not happy about the ban. “This is a vow to the gods,” said one of them, Subramaniyam Saraswathee.

“Many parents bring their children to the temple to receive blessings,” she said. “This is a serious issue.”
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Re: Animal sacrifice cancelled.

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Hopefully views are shifting - Kali Ma is celebrated as part of the eternal cycle of destruction and creation - a necessary and benevolent deity who is being seen more and more as a mother deity for propitiation with offerings which are not in the form of animal sacrifice. That's what I observed in India a decade or so ago, but I've no idea if it is spreading.

I hope so.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Caz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Blue Garuda wrote:Hopefully views are shifting - Kali Ma is celebrated as part of the eternal cycle of destruction and creation - a necessary and benevolent deity who is being seen more and more as a mother deity for propitiation with offerings which are not in the form of animal sacrifice. That's what I observed in India a decade or so ago, but I've no idea if it is spreading.

I hope so.

No Thuggee cult then ? :jumping:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby vinodh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Blue Garuda wrote:Hopefully views are shifting - Kali Ma is celebrated as part of the eternal cycle of destruction and creation - a necessary and benevolent deity who is being seen more and more as a mother deity for propitiation with offerings which are not in the form of animal sacrifice. That's what I observed in India a decade or so ago, but I've no idea if it is spreading.

I hope so.

Yes. True.

As the minor deities are identified with the major deities of Hinduism, worship based on Hindu Agamas are brought into picture. Consequently, the practice of animal sacrifices are completely disowned in-line with the Agamas.

A temple near my Village, had a local mother goddess temple. It was supposedly usual in the past to sacrifice animals to the deity. But there was a recent renovation, which saw the deity elevated into Agama rituals, and other high-deities such as Ganesha and Subrahmanya were installed in the premises. As a result animal sacrifice is no longer practiced there.

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
vinodh

Return to News & Current Events