Found a small bird on the street

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
kirtu
Former staff member

Found a small bird on the street

Post by kirtu »

It's 9:10 pm on Thursday, 22 July. 30 minutes ago I found a small bird on the sidewalk between 2 ladies houses. They helped me get a box and now the bird is at my apt. I intend to take the bird to a small animal shelter that will nurse it back to health. I did this about 3 years ago also during the summer. They nursed the bird back to health and it became a healthy pigeon.

So this bird isn't a pigeon and probably something is wrong with it's foot. It can;t fly but may just be too young. I have given it some water.

What do little birds (probably a song bird) eat?

The bird isn't chirping or singing unlike the pigeon 3 years ago (that bird also didn't actually sing but chirped a lot).

The bird is hopping around a bit in a box with a cover so air can get it.

How do I care for the bird over the next 12-24 hrs?

Kirt Undercoffer
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ronnewmexico

Re: Found a small bird on the street

Post by ronnewmexico »

I am no bird expert, but as a child following a bad wind storm I did care for several that fell from their nests, one that was abandoned by its mother.

I fed them room temperature milk from a eye dropper. Though they do not normally eat such a thing it worked and they liked it. A little bit of water but not enough so they can drown in it may be quite helpful to my opinion.

If grown..... birds generally eat nuts and seeds. I fed one starving in a snow storm once, and fed it nuts and such, I had in a granola type cereal. It worked just fine.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Thanks very much but somehow the bird died. I put a little water in the box (this wasn't enough to drown in) but when I got back from the store with bird seed and ground beef (this was recommended online so I gave it a shot) the little bird was dead.

OM AMI DEWA HRIH
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Sadly this is often the case with attempted bird rescues, especially the young ones. But you did give it a try and that's a good thing.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Amituofo

_/|\_
Wherever you are, that is where the mind should be. Always be mindful, and be your own master. This is true freedom. - Grand Master Wei Chueh
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope your bird is born in Dewachen, you are probably already saying prayers for it, Om ami dewa hri

In a way it's sad but it's lucky since it met with a practitioner that can, blow mantras on it, dedicate merit for it etc
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I was hoping to take the bird the next day (or that night) to a rehabilitator that I took a baby pigeon to three years ago. I was very surprised and sad when I found the baby (presumably) bird dead after only about 2 hrs. Maybe it was too cold in my apt or the water was a shock. I don't know. I wouldn't have taken it from the street but it looked like it's leg was injured and I nearly - stepped on it. It also couldn't fly (I was surprised by this - it was large enough to fly). It was also getting dark. Maybe there was a nest nearby but I didn't see it and the ladies at the houses didn't know either.

The pigeon I rescued three years ago survived the night and the rehbilitator was able to give it medical attention (it's crop had been damaged because another bird was beginning to make dinner out of it and a woman was passing by and rescued it and put it in a large cup and she asked me where an animal shelter was when I happened to be at a Metro station ....).

May all the baby birds be cared for nicely by their parents.

OM MANI PEDME HUNG

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”